Branch Improvement & Opportunity

• 24 replies

paultzman

Branch Improvement & Opportunity
« on: August 15, 2013, 02:52:38 PM »
Who knows, but;

“@LennRobbins: Lavin raving about Branch...the biggest headline @StJohnsBBall”

“@StJohnsBBall: Branch is one individual that has stood out the most...just watching practice and seeing what he has been doing out there. - @SJUCoachLavin”

“@Kieran_Lynch: Lavin says Branch has been the most improved player from end of last season to now. #sjubb #stjbb”
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 02:57:08 PM by paultzman »

DFF6

Re: Branch Improvement & Opportunity
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 03:07:05 PM »
Competition for PT is a wonderful thing sometimes.

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 03:14:57 PM »
I'll wait to see if the improvement manifests itself over the whole season.  I am cynical about these preseason reports.  I remember last year's glowing reports of Christian Jones' impact, and yet his rebounding, or lack thereof, left something to be desired during most of the year.

paultzman

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 03:16:52 PM »
I'll wait to see if the improvement manifests itself over the whole season.  I am cynical about these preseason reports.  I remember last year's glowing reports of Christian Jones' impact, and yet his rebounding, or lack thereof, left something to be desired during most of the year.

So true!

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 04:15:43 PM »
yes, but back in 2011 Lavin raved about Hardy during preseason, and that worked out great...

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 04:59:13 PM »
I've always been high on branch. Can't wait for three guard lineups of him Harrison and Jordan.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 07:34:11 PM »
Competition for PT is a wonderful thing sometimes.
If he has shown a lot of improvement it might not necessarily be a result of increased competition. Remember he only played a handful of games as a frosh at Texas A&M, then had to sit a year and then played second semester only with us and suffered from eye and knee injuries so it could be his talent is finally blossoming helped I'm sure by hard work.

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 07:43:51 PM »
I've always been high on branch. Can't wait for three guard lineups of him Harrison and Jordan.

Now there's a thought.

Great combinations of players are possible this year.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 07:44:57 PM by qcredman »

desco80

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 08:30:08 PM »

Me too Mase.   I remember turning to people during the Marquette game when he showed flashes of brilliance, and saying we haven't had a pg that good since Erick Barkley.   If that game was symbolic of what he can give us on a regular basis next season we'll be in real good shape.

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 08:48:26 PM »
yes, but back in 2011 Lavin raved about Hardy during preseason, and that worked out great...

If I recall correctly, Lavin raved about Hardy and Brownlee all preseason. Some of us were wondering how.

TONYD3

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 09:04:52 PM »
I never thought hardy would be that good. Not even close. I miss that season. Hopefully this one is close to it

Moose

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 09:16:56 PM »

Also raved about Malik Stith.
Lesson is to not live and die by what is said. 
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 09:22:35 PM »

Me too Mase.   I remember turning to people during the Marquette game when he showed flashes of brilliance, and saying we haven't had a pg that good since Erick Barkley.   If that game was symbolic of what he can give us on a regular basis next season we'll be in real good shape.

I have a soft spot for passers, seems to be a lost art. He played great that  matquette game and the addition of inside scorers in Sanchez and gift plus outside threats in Jordan and hooper should only improve his passing attack.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 09:40:57 PM »

Also raved about Malik Stith.
Lesson is to not live and die by what is said.

Thanks for the tip!

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 10:45:49 PM »
Greene is hurt, Jordan is hurt, Felix is hurt, unwise to blow up Marco/Max, and too early to give Harrison any praise. This leaves Branch.

I thought Branch was good not great when I saw him in July. I like what Branch brings to this team and thought pre-injury he was giving positive minutes. He gets assists, is a capable scorer, and underrated ball hawk.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 11:00:26 PM »
Greene is hurt, Jordan is hurt, Felix is hurt, unwise to blow up Marco/Max, and too early to give Harrison any praise. This leaves Branch.

I thought Branch was good not great when I saw him in July. I like what Branch brings to this team and thought pre-injury he was giving positive minutes. He gets assists, is a capable scorer, and underrated ball hawk.

that's all good, but lavin saying it's the biggest improvement he's seen in his career(?)

gman

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 12:00:54 AM »

Wasn't he considered the best defending guard in his class? How is that underrated?

crgreen

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 12:16:35 AM »

Dave, ESPNU ranked him as the #1 defensive player in the entire national senior class 3 years ago.   Hardly an underrated ball hawk.   ;)

Foad

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 07:36:41 AM »
that's all good, but lavin saying it's the biggest improvement he's seen in his career(?)

@Lenn Robbins I had a giant pretzel at Roosevelt Field, it was best giant pretzel I've ever tasted in my entire life!! It tasted better than the ones Jason Kapono's mother made made during Sweet 16 run!! #SJBB #SnackFood

@JonRothstien As the late great Cap Lavin taught me: it's not the twist in the pretzel, it's the sweetness of the salt. Sweetest salt ever on RF mall pretzels, sweeter than @CharlesBarkley's tears #SJBB #MissYouDad #prostatesurgery

@Kieran_Lynch Teddy Roosevelt greatest president in US history! Or was it FDR? Who cares. Roosevelt Field food court the greatest restaurant ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!  #SJBB #RoughRider #NewDeal #YoChuckTheyMustBeOnThePipeRight

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 08:27:39 AM »
At least Robbins and Rothstein are busy this summer.