European Game 3 v. Stella Azzurra

• 169 replies

Poison

Re: European Game 3 v. Stella Azzurra
« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2013, 02:29:04 PM »
For the record I am not saying Hooper isn't a good shooter, I just don't see where his minutes come from. Branch, Harrison, Pointer, Sampson, Obepka, Sanchez and Jordan deserve to play and will get around 25 minutes a game. Unfortunately Greene will probably get around those minutes as well. That equals 200 minutes if I am not mistaken. If they are left over minutes probably would go to GG. Where are the minutes coming from?

Hooper is getting minutes over Gift right now because we need scoring.  Hooper had 31 points yesterday.  What makes you think there will be zero come season time?  Even if Hooper is good for only 8 or 10 minutes a game, he can have an impact.  As some have said, there are games when Sir'Dom is in foul trouble and we will need another SF in there.  A guy who will likely lose some minutes and not play 25/game is Greene because of Branch's improvement and Rysheed's emergence.

I agree. We have so many athletes, the ones who can't shoot, which is most of them, will sit more than they might expect. I like how Pointer finds ways to contribute, but against a zone, guys like him and Greene struggled. And they struggled like everyone else has at St.John's w the zone.

If Hooper can hit open shots, he'll play. If he can hit shots using a quick release w a hand in his face, he'll play more than 10-12 minutes a game. We don't know anything from playing this team from Italy, except that Hooper could probably destroy the patsies we'll play in November. Against Columbia, sure, I already buy that can do it. Against Wisconsin and SU? We'll see.

paultzman

« Reply #121 on: August 28, 2013, 02:30:52 PM »
Have not seen him play and I am not disparaging him. To play Devils Advocate though, kid did not get any burn at Harvard . Again the real question is minutes. Everyone is pooh pahing this but it is a legit question. The answer would seem to be Greene's minutes, but does anyone see Lavin discarding his Geno?

Again, I also feel as I owe it to you fine people to temper this Hooper mania so as you wont feel the urge to kill him when things go Bourgault on him. Consider it a Public Service Announcement.

Also the curse of Mullin is a vey real thing. Outside of one year of Rowan we have not had a shooting guard that could actually shoot. Bootsy was a scorer that could knock down a three, but wasn't a classic shooter.

My sense is most folks on the board see potential value in Hooper, but realize he is not Larry Bird. Additionally, how he plays on defense, will factor into how much time he merits. Let's enjoy him now, don't get overly crazed about him & hope he is a plus. Get your points on rotation, but let's stop "beating the horse". It is quite dead.

« Reply #122 on: August 28, 2013, 03:40:56 PM »
Have not seen him play and I am not disparaging him. To play Devils Advocate though, kid did not get any burn at Harvard . Again the real question is minutes. Everyone is pooh pahing this but it is a legit question. The answer would seem to be Greene's minutes, but does anyone see Lavin discarding his Geno?

Again, I also feel as I owe it to you fine people to temper this Hooper mania so as you wont feel the urge to kill him when things go Bourgault on him. Consider it a Public Service Announcement.

Also the curse of Mullin is a vey real thing. Outside of one year of Rowan we have not had a shooting guard that could actually shoot. Bootsy was a scorer that could knock down a three, but wasn't a classic shooter.

Did WASJU just say that Larry legend couldn't shoot? Yikes, max is in trouble.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #123 on: August 28, 2013, 03:45:46 PM »
Larry Legend had the misfortune of playing for the worst coach and with the worst PG in BE history. Larry was a victim of the curse not a contributor to it.

Moose

« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2013, 03:46:30 PM »
You would think,  but I feel like i have seen this movie before. See people try to forget or pretend like it never happened, but people were raving about Bourgault and whining when he was ineligible. Then they actually stalked him and posted his travel itinerary to get to that tourney early last season. Does anyone remember that thread? Someones brother was in his class or something when he got word he was eligible. Then MCNPA's sister's uncle's landscapper was on the flight with him. Kid barely played then got staggered minutes then struggled and everyone then claimed he stunk.
So basically I am trying to keep the people blowing up Hopper honest before they start posting that he stinks.

Someone did have a brother in his class.
Pretty sure he himself or SJU tweeted a picture of his plane ticket or something.

But its good to see you in mid-season form posting :)  It's been awhile.  You don't come around much during the summer
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2013, 03:50:21 PM »
Vacations, beach, Golf, Mets during summer.

« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2013, 04:01:27 PM »
Larry Legend had the misfortune of playing for the worst coach and with the worst PG in BE history. Larry was a victim of the curse not a contributor to it.

I would like to nominate Derek Brown as another victim of the curse(injuries, terrible coach). Avery Patterson, Ricky Torres and Phil Greene are examples of contributors to the curse.
Willie Shaw wa a strange case as he had a real good year playing with a true point then became one of the worst shooters we have ever had every year after. Not sure where I classify him but probably belongs in the contributor group.

Moose

« Reply #127 on: August 28, 2013, 04:02:23 PM »
Vacations, beach, Golf, Mets during summer.

Nice life.
Except for the Mets part.

« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2013, 04:07:34 PM »
Agreed
Vacation part a little misleading now though as as Hershey Park, DIsney and such has replaced tropical islands and Vegas
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 04:08:20 PM by we are sju »

Poison

« Reply #129 on: August 28, 2013, 09:05:59 PM »

I would like to nominate Derek Brown as another victim of the curse(injuries, terrible coach). Avery Patterson, Ricky Torres and Phil Greene are examples of contributors to the curse.
Willie Shaw wa a strange case as he had a real good year playing with a true point then became one of the worst shooters we have ever had every year after. Not sure where I classify him but probably belongs in the contributor group.

Guys like Shaw, Wright, Patterson, Torres, Brown and Greene were not sold in to us as pure shooters. They were good recruits, who could shoot. Hooper has been identified as one thing, and one thing only. A shooter. Perhaps that's telling. He really has arrived with almost no fanfare. What was he ranked as a recruit? 1 star? 2, maybe?

Bottom line is if you're a great shooter, it won't matter who else is on your team. You'll score anyway.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:08:02 PM by Poison »

redslope

« Reply #130 on: August 28, 2013, 11:10:49 PM »
No comments about the video of the game on the school's atheltic department website.  They have been showing the players on tour and some of the game.  Watching the bench as Hoop started to light it up was great.  It has been a long time since I have seen such enthusiasm from our players on the bench.  In addition, Dom's interview with him was good.  Hoop is a mature kid who practices like the devil; might not have innate skills but works at the game to become a better player.  If he can be successful against real competition, this team can go far.  He has an edge about him-something to prove.  He comes from a well to do family and he could have written his own ticket with a Harvard degree but he wants something more......that is a powerful motivator.

Poison

« Reply #131 on: August 28, 2013, 11:13:55 PM »
No comments about the video of the game on the school's atheltic department website.  They have been showing the players on tour and some of the game.  Watching the bench as Hoop started to light it up was great.  It has been a long time since I have seen such enthusiasm from our players on the bench.  In addition, Dom's interview with him was good.  Hoop is a mature kid who practices like the devil; might not have innate skills but works at the game to become a better player.  If he can be successful against real competition, this team can go far.  He has an edge about him-something to prove.  He comes from a well to do family and he could have written his own ticket with a Harvard degree but he wants something more......that is a powerful motivator.

I'm traveling for work, and don't have my laptop handy. I've been trying to watch highlights on the St.John's site, but for some reason they have designed it like it's still 2002. 

Marillac

« Reply #132 on: August 28, 2013, 11:30:23 PM »
Can't tell much from bad competition, but I feel confident about Hooper after this trip.  He is playing major minutes every game and he is proving he can hit open shots.  What I like most is that he seems like a catch and shoot guy...Marco really isn't.  Marco is more of a pick-your-spots kind of guy, but Hooper appears to have no problem letting it go and that is the first thing on his mind when he gets the ball.  No conscience.  We need that.

The reactions and the comments from his teammates tell me that Hooper is legit and in their eyes the best shooter on the team by a mile.  The fact that Lavin is giving Hooper significantly more minutes that a more experience Bourgault tells me a lot as well.

Interesting that a lot of Hooper's looks came from Bourgault.  He would do so much better in a spaced efficient system.  I'd like to see both Hooper and Bourgault on the court at once.  It's a whole different look. 

Moose

« Reply #133 on: August 28, 2013, 11:56:24 PM »

Interesting that a lot of Hooper's looks came from Bourgault.  He would do so much better in a spaced efficient system.  I'd like to see both Hooper and Bourgault on the court at once.  It's a whole different look. 

Last year when Marco came in.  ESPECIALLY when Dee was suspended.  Stevie Wonder could see he was coming in for one reason and one reason only.  To shoot.  I recall one game where I was near the opponents bench and when Marco came in they were screaming SHOOTER. 

So the fact now we have a couple of guys who can get hot from 3 is a good problem to have.  Agree with your statement of getting more than 1 in at once to keep defenses honest.

Moose

« Reply #134 on: August 28, 2013, 11:58:31 PM »

I'm traveling for work, and don't have my laptop handy. I've been trying to watch highlights on the St.John's site, but for some reason they have designed it like it's still 2002. 

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/082713aae.html

« Reply #135 on: August 29, 2013, 12:19:43 AM »
I think an underrated part of Hooper is the fact he's played on some seriously talented teams.  From Mater Dei to Brewster and  I even recall him draining 3s on that IS8 team with Moe, Jakarr and D'lo. He knows his role, he appears to do it well and he truly believes he belongs on the court with anyone.

MCNPA

« Reply #136 on: August 29, 2013, 02:44:05 AM »
I think an underrated part of Hooper is the fact he's played on some seriously talented teams.  From Mater Dei to Brewster and  I even recall him draining 3s on that IS8 team with Moe, Jakarr and D'lo. He knows his role, he appears to do it well and he truly believes he belongs on the court with anyone.

Like Syracuse when they had Marius Janulis.  You know what he was coming in the game to do, and they did it any way because of the team they had surrounding him.

Foad

« Reply #137 on: August 29, 2013, 07:58:30 AM »
Hoop is a mature kid

No, sorry but I'm going to have to nip this is the bud right now. There is no way this kid is going to be called Hoop. NO WAY. I can live with Hoopy (Alt: Hoopie). Also acceptable would be The Hoopster or the Hoopmeister General. If he starts dribble the ball off his feet you can call him Ooops or Oopsie. But Hoop is right out. Don't make me warn you again.

ANFSCD:

Mr Anemone: Oh, I don't suppose we know what an 'oop is. I suppose pater thought they were a bit common, except on the bleedin' croquet lawn.

Mr Chigger: Oh, a hoop.

Mr Anemone: 'Oh an hoop.' Thank you, your bleeding Highness. Now. Look.

Mr Chigger: Go on, right the way along.

Mr Anemone: All right, all right, all right. Now, where's the bleeding wire, then?

Mr Chigger: That hoop's got a hole in.

Mr Anemone: Oh Eton and Madgalene. The hoop has an hole in. Of course it's got a hole in, it wouldn't be a hoop otherwise, would it, mush!

Mr Chigger: No, there's a gap in the middle, there.

Mr Anemone: Oh, a gahp. A gahp in one's hhhhhoop. Pardon me, but I'm off to play the grand piano.

Moose

« Reply #138 on: August 29, 2013, 09:34:41 AM »
Hoop is a mature kid

No, sorry but I'm going to have to nip this is the bud right now. There is no way this kid is going to be called Hoop. NO WAY. I can live with Hoopy (Alt: Hoopie). Also acceptable would be The Hoopster or the Hoopmeister General. If he starts dribble the ball off his feet you can call him Ooops or Oopsie. But Hoop is right out. Don't make me warn you again.

What about TGAPH?

Poison

« Reply #139 on: August 29, 2013, 09:45:28 AM »

Like Syracuse when they had Marius Janulis.  You know what he was coming in the game to do, and they did it any way because of the team they had surrounding him.

I was thinking the same thing, and as that guy player more, he became a pretty good overall player if I remember. Maybe Hooper can do more than just shoot? How's his d?