OK now that the IW drama is over

• 94 replies

Poison

Re: OK now that the IW drama is over
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2013, 11:47:32 PM »
Jamal is a flashier passer.  The octagons passes are more vanilla but always on target.

Yes, he makes perfect passes to a guy who runs over to him 40 feet from the basket. You have this habit of defending players who make everyone around them worse. Greene, while a good kid, stunts everyone's game. If he is playing 30 minutes a game, we are not going to tournament.

derk

« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2013, 09:20:37 AM »
Jamal is a flashier passer.  The octagons passes are more vanilla but always on target.

Yes, he makes perfect passes to a guy who runs over to him 40 feet from the basket. You have this habit of defending players who make everyone around them worse. Greene, while a good kid, stunts everyone's game. If he is playing 30 minutes a game, we are not going to tournament.

I haven't read this whole thread but I don't think anyone wants or expects Greene to be playing 30 minutes on this team.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 09:22:09 AM by derk »

desco80

« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2013, 10:16:35 AM »

I haven't read this whole thread but I don't think anyone wants or expects Greene to be playing 30 minutes on this team.

Except maybe coach...

« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2013, 10:25:08 AM »

I want him to play 40 and I'm confident we can dance in March with the triangle in the lineup.

derk

« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2013, 11:36:24 AM »

Except maybe coach...

If he said it in this thread it's coachspeak. Trying to make sure the new guys understand the seniority system whereby nothing is handed to anyone based on reputation and also to keep D'Lo in line.

desco80

« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2013, 12:02:21 PM »

Except maybe coach...

If he said it in this thread it's coachspeak. Trying to make sure the new guys understand the seniority system whereby nothing is handed to anyone based on reputation and also to keep D'Lo in line.

You think that's it?   I don't know.  For all his good attributes, it does seem coach has an unusual affinity for Phil.   But we shall seem.  I'm assuming there's just too much talent now to justify starting Phil, but who knows.

jayro

« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2013, 12:04:07 PM »
If he's 100% healthy I think Green will be a major contributor.  May not be a popular opinion here, but it's mine.

« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2013, 01:36:05 PM »
I predict Harrison, Branch and Jordan split the bulk of the guard play with Greene taking any minutes some of you had earmarked for Hooper as well as cutting into some of Pointer's time unfortunately.

derk

« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2013, 01:47:35 PM »
I predict Harrison, Branch and Jordan split the bulk of the guard play with Greene taking any minutes some of you had earmarked for Hooper as well as cutting into some of Pointer's time unfortunately.

That's my point though. Coach has to make sure D'Lo has his head screwed on properly. Branch has to show he was worth the ship ( broke in in the middle of last season, and injured, so there still are questions, and Sheed the bigtime recruit has to prove he deserves all the hype). Not even talking about Hooper's from the galaxy range, which will rescue several games for us. And if you want you can still throw in Sir D and Felix. Can't see Greene getting 30 minutes in such a crowded backcourt. So it must be coachspeak.

« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2013, 05:57:15 PM »
if hooper is as good as advertised, i can see him and pointer on the floor together in a small lineup.  i'm not sold yet on the other options to back up power forward.  i never saw sanchez play, so i don't know if he can play the four, but i wouldn't want CO or GG playing there.  CJ would need to improve dramatically to get any serious pt.  i think u need to find time to get hooper's shooting on the floor.

« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2013, 06:11:55 PM »
if hooper is as good as advertised, i can see him and pointer on the floor together in a small lineup.  i'm not sold yet on the other options to back up power forward.  i never saw sanchez play, so i don't know if he can play the four, but i wouldn't want CO or GG playing there.  CJ would need to improve dramatically to get any serious pt.  i think u need to find time to get hooper's shooting on the floor.

If Hooper hits shots than he will get quality minutes. I just hope he can get enough minutes to get comfortable  with his shot. And yes Sanchez can and will play the 4 and hooper could see a little time there as well.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2013, 06:34:39 PM »
There were so many times when I would be screaming at the TV to get Phil to pass the ball but he would just dribble. There are many areas where I think Phil is under appreciated on this board, but passing is not one of them. He is a below average passer. I don't care what his AST to TO ratio is.

We ran a weave last year nearly every half court possession. Defenses did not have to respect ANYTHING inside and did not have to defend the perimeter except for Harrison and Green. Who was he going to pass to? 

Branch was both lazy and too flashy with his passes.  He telegraphed a lot of them and he also had quite a few underhand passes.  He also tried to dazzle at some bad points in the game--I actually have less of a problem with those than the lazy passes. 

Marillac

« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2013, 06:37:51 PM »

If Hooper hits shots than he will get quality minutes. I just hope he can get enough minutes to get comfortable  with his shot. And yes Sanchez can and will play the 4 and hooper could see a little time there as well.

I don't think it will be a problem with Hooper like it was with Bourgault.  Hooper is thinking shot from the moment he crosses the half court line and shows no signs of hesitation or a conscience.  I love that about him.  Marco could get flustered, and hesitated quite a bit.  He's a smart basketball player, no doubt, and a lot of his shots weren't the quality shots he's probably used to getting. 

Max is an assassin.  He needs minutes and I think  he'll get them.  Every time that ball leaves his hand is a 40-45% chance it goes in for three points.  And that doesn't even take into account all of the dribble penetration the other guys can get underneath him, because Hooper's defender will be face-guarding him from the moment he checks in the game. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 06:42:22 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2013, 06:55:01 PM »
There were so many times when I would be screaming at the TV to get Phil to pass the ball but he would just dribble. There are many areas where I think Phil is under appreciated on this board, but passing is not one of them. He is a below average passer. I don't care what his AST to TO ratio is.

We ran a weave last year nearly every half court possession. Defenses did not have to respect ANYTHING inside and did not have to defend the perimeter except for Harrison and Green. Who was he going to pass to? 

Branch was both lazy and too flashy with his passes.  He telegraphed a lot of them and he also had quite a few underhand passes.  He also tried to dazzle at some bad points in the game--I actually have less of a problem with those than the lazy passes. 

The weave had nothing to do with Phil's inability to pass the ball up the court though. He never looks ahead. Branch is a much better passer than him in the half court and is light years better in the open court. You are right that he does have a tendency to throw a lazy pass now and again. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

boo3

« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2013, 08:01:38 PM »
Coach Kevin Willard at last nite's Seton Hall Athletics fundraiser: "If anyone in attendance has a Top 10 kid out there, I'll hire you too."