Current players and recruits

• 64 replies

boo3

Re: Current players and recruits
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2013, 11:50:14 AM »
 How does re-hiring Collins set a bad example? Those players play hard for him.  I agree, he isn't the greatest in-game manager ever, but he hasn't had anything to work with.

Unless Alderson has been flat out lying to everyone this year, they will spend money.  Santana and Bay contracts off the books..
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 11:50:41 AM by boo3 »

desco80

« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2013, 12:05:01 PM »
Desco- We've been told they are going to spend... all we have to go on for now.   I'd like to see them go after Tulowitzki and Choo personally.

I'm not willing to say they won't spend, and so we're going to be in trouble.  Yet.   But I have my concerns.  I'm still willing to wait and see.  I hope you're right.  I want to believe Sandy, but I think ownership really has tied his hands.
The problem with the "money off the books" explanation is that most of Sanatana and Bay's money was deferred several years down the road.  They didn't pay them all that much this season.    Also, we've had money come off the books for 3 straight offseasons now.  Each year the payroll has gotten smaller and they've told us next year they would reinvest.  I haven't seen it yet. 
But, like you say, for now we have to believe them.  And I will.

I do agree though, Tulo and Choo are the bats I'd like to see.   I mean, I'd love Cano, but that's a pipe dream.   Realistically two bats would go a long way towards improving this club.

Also, I agree re Collins.  What do people expect him to do?   He's not perfect, but I can't judge him till he has something to work with.

Do you ever read Howard Megdal?   I'm not his biggest fan, but occasionally he does good investigative work into the Wilpons. 
http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/sports/2013/06/8530740/jeff-wilpon-and-myth-free-spending-mets-winter-come
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 12:05:56 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2013, 12:07:23 PM »
Collins is the Met version of Norm Roberts. For a 70-75 win team with young players it makes sense. Not if you are trying to win.

I have heard Alderson on Francessa numerous times say"they will have $ to spend". Not we will spend $. I have read  things online questioning the Wilpons cash situation. I still have my doubts. You don't? 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 12:08:11 PM by we are sju »

desco80

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2013, 12:10:46 PM »
Mods - can you bring our comments to a Mets offseason thread?   Thank you
We're in danger of hijacking this thread

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2013, 12:14:47 PM »
NY most popular teams:
1. Giants
2. Yankees
3. Knicks