steve lavin and former ucla players

• 5 replies

miltk

steve lavin and former ucla players
« on: September 26, 2013, 04:06:17 PM »
hi. we're having a discussion on a bruin board about ucla players recruiting for lavin, and i recall earl watson or baron davis being vocal about ben howland's player not liking to play for him. i even read it somewhere and it was brought up in the recruitment of kyle anderson.

does anyone have a link to confirm this? thx

Re: steve lavin and former ucla players
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 12:41:46 AM »
No one was present during these conversations so therefore no one would be able to truly answer this except for people involved.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

miltk

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 03:01:55 AM »
hmmmm,,,because i read it as a quote back then and now i can't find the blurb. it had to do with earl recruiting for steve and pointing out the difference between ben's players and lavin's tight knit "family". noting how all of lav's players were helping him out.

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 10:50:23 AM »
Yeah, that "we should get a trophy for being the only team in the country to make the tourney w/o a coach" quote probably really "helped out" Lavin ;)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 12:27:59 PM by we are sju »

miltk

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 01:37:17 PM »
Yeah, that "we should get a trophy for being the only team in the country to make the tourney w/o a coach" quote probably really "helped out" Lavin ;)

that has haunted baron (and steve)since, but he did it with tongue firmly in cheek, knew he booboo'ed, tried to correct it, and it hasn't worked. the most infamous quote in the past decade. but baron still "recruits" for lavin, no?

sju89tr

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 12:03:43 PM »

that has haunted baron (and steve)since, but he did it with tongue firmly in cheek, knew he booboo'ed, tried to correct it, and it hasn't worked. the most infamous quote in the past decade. but baron still "recruits" for lavin, no?

It sure seems that way and aside from the Hines and Martin on staff, Watson, Davis, and Kris Johnson have supported Lavin with recruits here at St. John's.