BE Media Day

• 53 replies

paultzman

BE Media Day
« on: October 16, 2013, 08:25:37 AM »
“@JohnBishop71: Big East Preseason Coaches Poll: 1)Marq 2)GT 3) @BluejayMBB 4)Nova 5) STJ 6)Prov 7)Xavier 8) SH 9) Butler 10) DePaul. #Creighton #GoJays”

Poison

Re: BE Media Day
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 08:48:21 AM »
5 is more than reasonable. So much of our season depends on the maturity of Harrison. He is the best player we've had since Hardy, and he can take places, but his head has to be in it.

Lavin, too. He sacrificed last season to teach Harrison a lesson. And while I don't agree with his decision, a deep run in March would at least show us that perhaps there was a method to the madness.

hnk

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 09:01:24 AM »
What channel is fox sports on cablevision? Thanks

hnk

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 09:08:04 AM »

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 09:32:35 AM »

paultzman

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 10:04:09 AM »
“@NYPost_Brazille: St. John's has four players honored in all-conference teams -- Jordan, Harrison, Sampson, Obekpa -- most of any team here. #sjubb”

“@FarcoSJU: Sophomore Jakarr Sampson chosen to preseason All-Big East second team. Sophomore Chris Obekpa chosen as honorable mention #sjubb #bigeast”

“@ChrisRonca: Rysheed Jordan has been named preseason #BigEast ROY. A big year from him would definitely help #SJUbb to the tournament.”

“@FarcoSJU: 2013-2014 Preseason All Big East First team: Starks (GTOWN) Gardner (MARQ) Cotton (PROV) Harrison (SJU) Christon (Xavier) #bigeastmbb”
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:06:22 AM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 10:08:46 AM »
“@Joshua_Newman: A lot of people buying high on St. John's and w/good reason. Picked to finish 5th in BE, but two first-place votes, four on all-conference”

“@EyeOnCBB: RT @jeffborzello Doug McDermott named Big East POY. 1st tm: Markel Starks, Davante Gardner, Bryce Cotton, D'Angelo Harrison, Semaj Christon”

paultzman

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 10:11:51 AM »
“@FarcoSJU: 2013-2014 All Big East Second Team: Cleveland Melvin (DePaul) Jamil Wilson (MARQ) Sampson (SJU) F. Edwin (SHU) Arcidiacono & Pinkstonn (NOVA”

“@Kieran_Lynch: Any plans for expansion question: "Not right now." Ackerman #sjubb "10 is a really good number."”

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 10:21:30 AM »
Two first place votes for St. John's!  Very nice. Harrison voted to preseason first team.

Funny, the Big East coaches don't seem to think Creighton will have much difficulty with the new league, voting them third.  I hope Joe3 doesn't see this or we'll have 85 pages of comments.

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 10:25:23 AM »
5 is more than reasonable. So much of our season depends on the maturity of Harrison. He is the best player we've had since Hard huy, and he can take places, but his head has to be in it.

Lavin, too. He sacrificed last season to teach Harrison a lesson. And while I don't agree with his decision, a deep run in March would at least show us that perhaps there was a method to the madness.

Reasonable because of immediate prior success but looking at the who is represented on the various all-conference teams gives credence to Rothsteins point repeated many times that SJU is loaded and has more talent then anyone in the conference.

Jeff Goodman tweeted months ago that the injury to Jones of Butler would probably put Butler in a position to challenge SHU and DePaul for last place.

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 10:27:52 AM »
Two first place votes for St. John's!  Very nice. Harrison voted to preseason first team.

Funny, the Big East coaches don't seem to think Creighton will have much difficulty with the new league, voting them third.  I hope Joe3 doesn't see this or we'll have 85 pages of comments.

Think about that for a sec, 2 first place votes and they are preseason 5th?  Someone picked them 9th or tenth maybe???? 

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 10:31:11 AM »

Marillac, you just leveled a vicious personal arrack on Joe3.  Of course, the moderators will do nothing about it althought it violates this board's rules.  Everyone keeps attacking Joe and nothing is ever done about it.

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 10:31:46 AM »

Think about that for a sec, 2 first place votes and they are preseason 5th?  Someone picked them 9th or tenth maybe???? 

I was wondering the same exact thing. 

DFF6

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 10:35:50 AM »

Marillac, you just leveled a vicious personal arrack on Joe3.  Of course, the moderators will do nothing about it althought it violates this board's rules.  Everyone keeps attacking Joe and nothing is ever done about it.

I see what you did here.  Good one.

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 10:37:33 AM »
To be fair it could mean most of the other coaches picked them 7th thus balancing it out.  Still ridiculously low.

paultzman

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 10:37:43 AM »
Some coaches, while recognizing SJU depth & talent, may doubt Lav has coaching ability to achieve success. Prove them wrong Coach! IMO, Whitesell addition should be a plus also. Psyched for season to begin!

paultzman

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 10:40:18 AM »
“@DaveKrupinski: Obekpa, Greene, Pointer, Harrison, Sampson at Big East Media day along with Coach Lavin and Keady. #sjubb”

desco80

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 10:50:22 AM »
How is Mcdermott not on the pre-season 1st team?     Do they not allow the preseason player of the year to also be named to a team?
I don't remember that being the case in the past.

paultzman

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 10:53:04 AM »
How is Mcdermott not on the pre-season 1st team?     Do they not allow the preseason player of the year to also be named to a team?
I don't remember that being the case in the past.

Yeah, they separate it out.

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 11:04:44 AM »
Some coaches, while recognizing SJU depth & talent, may doubt Lav has coaching ability to achieve success. Prove them wrong Coach! IMO, Whitesell addition should be a plus also. Psyched for season to begin!

No I get it but I don't care if they think this team is coached by Humpty Dumpty no way this team should be anywhere near the bottom 3 teams.