Rob Thomas Question

• 18 replies
Rob Thomas Question
« on: May 03, 2008, 03:18:49 PM »
Does anyone out there have any information about Rob's conditioning program. Methods? Benchmarks? Ultimate objectives for opening day? What Rob has been doing since the end of last season to make himself serviceable by November? Any and all information appreciated.

Re: Rob Thomas Question
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 08:17:28 PM »
Does anyone out there have any information about Rob's conditioning program. Methods? Benchmarks? Ultimate objectives for opening day? What Rob has been doing since the end of last season to make himself serviceable by November? Any and all information appreciated.

why would he be different from any other player?  he's now a year removed from injury so I would think it is the same.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Randomhero423

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 08:33:10 PM »
he seemed to be a bit heavy last year.  so i hope he's working on being more athletic. 

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 01:35:15 PM »

why would he be different from any other player?  he's now a year removed from injury so I would think it is the same.
[/quote]

it's different from any other player because he is still recovering from "the worst knee injury" our trainer has seen at his time at st. john's. he was (somewhat understandably) overweight and out of shape last year. you can say it's because of the injury but it's also different because rob has had some weight/conditioning issues issues in the past.

i think this summer is the most important period in rob's basketball life. if he makes the decision to bust his butt all summer rehabbing, running and getting in shape losing that extra weight he can be a HUGE bonus for us and potentially an impact player on this team. not saying that people wrote him off, but he has been a forgotten man because he simply hasnt been on the court.

i cant help but remember watching dozens of south kent games for years when he was the best player on the court (games that included andray blatche on the wizards, gilbert brown on pitt and a million other d-1 players from south kent and other teams).

this team is long overdue for a pleasant surprise and i think rob can at least be that for us this season if he's serious about conditioning this summer

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 04:06:06 PM »

it's different from any other player because he is still recovering from "the worst knee injury" our trainer has seen at his time at st. john's. he was (somewhat understandably) overweight and out of shape last year. you can say it's because of the injury but it's also different because rob has had some weight/conditioning issues issues in the past.

i think this summer is the most important period in rob's basketball life. if he makes the decision to bust his butt all summer rehabbing, running and getting in shape losing that extra weight he can be a HUGE bonus for us and potentially an impact player on this team. not saying that people wrote him off, but he has been a forgotten man because he simply hasnt been on the court.

i cant help but remember watching dozens of south kent games for years when he was the best player on the court (games that included andray blatche on the wizards, gilbert brown on pitt and a million other d-1 players from south kent and other teams).

this team is long overdue for a pleasant surprise and i think rob can at least be that for us this season if he's serious about conditioning this summer
[/quote]

I agree Rob Thomas could really make a big difference for St John's if he is in shape. He is that scorer we need so badly. It will be interesting to see if he plays in the empire state games and how he plays in Cancun.

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 10:14:50 PM »
No doubt, Poison is key.
Kid get in shape, he could do some damage. Got mo skills than anybdy on the team, no disrepct to no one. That just my opinion. 
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Thomas Olik

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 10:19:09 PM »
Most skills on the team?
That's quite a bit of an overstatement.

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 10:22:18 PM »
Most skills on the team?

As I say that just this one brothers opinion.
But if you seen RT in his prime bfore the injury, even bfore S. Kent, think you might think different. 
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Randomhero423

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 10:43:47 PM »
you can tell by his shot last year even he's got touch and very skilled.  just really not 100% there athletically. 

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 08:05:53 AM »
I too used to watch Rob Thomas play a few years back and he was a dominating presence among outstanding ballplayers. Hence all my questions. If the injury didn't sufficiently heal that's one thing. If he's not in shape otherwise it's quite a different story.This is the chance of a lifetime for Rob, probably the last time he'll get a shot at grabbing the brass ring. I hope he does everything possible to make sure he can reach it.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 09:46:16 AM »
I too used to watch Rob Thomas play a few years back and he was a dominating presence among outstanding ballplayers. Hence all my questions. If the injury didn't sufficiently heal that's one thing. If he's not in shape otherwise it's quite a different story.This is the chance of a lifetime for Rob, probably the last time he'll get a shot at grabbing the brass ring. I hope he does everything possible to make sure he can reach it.

Let's first grab the big east tourney.

pmg911

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 09:54:27 AM »
Most skills on the team?

That is not an overstatment in the least...

If Rob gets into good shape again and gets his lift back he is the best basketball player on the team..

His weight & conditioning have been a constant problem since high school...

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 10:17:44 PM »

I was speaking of Rob Thomas as an individual and the opportunity he has to make his mark in college basketball playing against some of the best talent in the country.

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 12:11:50 AM »
Most skills on the team?

I don't think its an overstatement what so ever. He has a great deal of potential if he comes back 100% strong and gets in great shape.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 04:06:58 PM »
Thomas Rebounding From Knee Injury

http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=809772

Rob Thomas' stay at St. John's has been one with a number of bumps in the road. Thomas entered the school as an NCAA partial qualifier in September of 2006 and suffered a traumatic knee injury in March of 2007. While Thomas was able to return to the playing floor this past January, he saw limited minutes due to the condition of his knee and overall condition of his body. Roberts says that the 6-6 forward has had a strong spring and is looking for him to be an impact player on the 2008-2009 team. "Rob is doing great. He's down to 231 pounds, when we had him during the season he was at about 245 pounds. He's finally had an off-season where he's been focusing on basketball and he's been able to get in the weight room consistently. He walked into a bad situation where we put him on the court he really wasn't ready for the situation because he wasn't in the proper shape because of his injury."

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

Thomas Olik

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 04:09:16 PM »
I'm glad that Norm actually realizes and admits one of his mistakes.

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 07:19:42 PM »

I was speaking of Rob Thomas as an individual and the opportunity he has to make his mark in college basketball playing against some of the best talent in the country.

I hope Rob's attitude is - basketball was taken away from me for a while but now I am back!!! Sometimes when things like this happens to athletes they take it to heart because they know the next dunk could be their last and they play hard because they appreciate being out there competing. He should have a new perspective and appreciation for the game.

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 12:43:22 PM »

I hope Rob's attitude is - basketball was taken away from me for a while but now I am back!!! Sometimes when things like this happens to athletes they take it to heart because they know the next dunk could be their last and they play hard because they appreciate being out there competing. He should have a new perspective and appreciation for the game.

Well said Peekskill and I share your sentiments.

Poison

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 10:06:08 PM »
I'm glad that Norm actually realizes and admits one of his mistakes.

Where did he admit a mistake? All i got from that was a description of what happened.
Not Roberts saying that it was his fault.