Redmen to Redshirt?

• 54 replies
Re: Redmen to Redshirt?
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2013, 12:35:41 PM »
Marco, CJ and Felix all not playing yesterday makes me think Lavin is thinking about redshirts. Maybe not for all but I wouldn't be surprised.

Yup. dont think he would reshirt maco though.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2013, 01:00:52 PM »
Marco, CJ and Felix all not playing yesterday makes me think Lavin is thinking about redshirts. Maybe not for all but I wouldn't be surprised.

Can't redshirt Marco.  This is the last year of his eligibility.
Felix from what I heard will be. 
Jones very well could be but they will play it by ear for a bit.

*IMO I still think Jones could be more valuable than Gift.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2013, 01:12:11 PM »

I agree with you about Jones. Lots of naysayers on the board but I like the kid...I think if he were given an explicit role (like go collect rebounds, bang and get some garbage points -- if you want minutes he could be really valuable)...

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2013, 03:13:22 PM »

Jones can't rebound a lick. Gift is infinitely more valuable to this current team for that reason and that reason alone.

Even if Obekpa and Sanchez fouled out of a game I don't see a scenario where Jones gets major minutes. Run small or insert Gift (who rarely dishes out fouls).  Jones barely played without Gift last year so why would that change this year with Sanchez + Gift?

His contribution to this year's team is so insignificant. Balancing the scholarships is so much more important for long term success and having a seasoned player for next year two years in the front court especially if guys leave early.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2013, 03:22:54 PM »

Jones can't rebound a lick. Gift is infinitely more valuable to this current team for that reason and that reason alone.

Even if Obekpa and Sanchez fouled out of a game I don't see a scenario where Jones gets major minutes. Run small or insert Gift (who rarely dishes out fouls).  Jones barely played without Gift last year so why would that change this year with Sanchez + Gift?

His contribution to this year's team is so insignificant. Balancing the scholarships is so much more important for long term success and having a seasoned player for next year two years in the front court especially if guys leave early.

It's pretty clear Jones was affected by those personal tragedies last year.  I'm not a fan of Gift.  I tried.  I hoped he came back more refined since he's still only been playing the game for a few years but he is still so uncoordinated and awkward and lost in many ways on the court.

So we go from 13 ships to 10 in reality because Marco isn't going to see the light of day.  So much for the full team I kept reading quotes about.  And yes I know pretty much no teams play 13 guys.  Personally 11 is the number I like but that hinges on a the makeup of the 11 being right. 

Balancing the scholarships or band aid over a 2014 class that isn't materializing?  We can look forward to next year with a junior who wasted two years wondering if he can replace Sanchez and to a lesser extent Gift......  Can't wait!
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2013, 03:35:21 PM »
I don't think Gift even sees that many minutes either if that makes you feel any better but there will be times he will be needed.

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2013, 05:52:56 PM »

Jones barely played without Gift last year so why would that change this year with Sanchez + Gift?

Maybe he got better over the summer and is better than Gift. Hes not a ball stopper like Gift, Obekpa, and Sampson, he has some offensive tools that they dont have. Yes he didnt rebound last year, maybe hes gotten better. I dont hate the redshirt for him but I dont think having gift in front of him is a good enough reason. When it comes down to it Christian is a basketball player while gift just plays basketball.

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2013, 06:12:09 PM »
Agree with above. Also, for such a big guy, Jones seemed a little tentative to throw his body around last year. He had a couple of nice post up plays, and a couple of nice Anthony davis style cuts (from the baseline to under the basket) but those were just flashes, yet they still give me confidence in him going forward.

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2013, 08:37:34 PM »
Jones is more valuable to us next year when Gift and Sanchez are gone.  A redshirt makes sense for him now.

bk8664

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2013, 08:51:01 PM »
Jones is more valuable to us next year when Gift and Sanchez are gone.  A redshirt makes sense for him now.

There might be more value for us next year, but I think it might be worth it to go for it this year; if the coaches really think this can be a great year. 

Poison

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2013, 08:52:17 PM »
I think it makes sense to redshirt both Balamou and Jones. Both guys could win up being very good BE players, but they are both raw. In practice, let Balamou go up against Pointer, Hooper, Sampson and Jordan. Jones can learn how to box out, rebound, and develop a post game. Game experience might be  unique, and crucial experience, but these kids need to learn how to expand their skill set.

And that's not about game experience. It's about practice.

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2013, 09:26:38 PM »
If Marco is our 11th guy, I think we are fine.  My concern with not redshirting Jones is that I just don't envision a scenario where he gets minutes.  The three guys will rotate the 4-5 and Gift will fill-in as necessary.  Balancing out the schollies is important.

« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2013, 12:16:23 PM »

Jones barely played without Gift last year so why would that change this year with Sanchez + Gift?

Maybe he got better over the summer and is better than Gift. Hes not a ball stopper like Gift, Obekpa, and Sampson, he has some offensive tools that they dont have. Yes he didnt rebound last year, maybe hes gotten better. I dont hate the redshirt for him but I dont think having gift in front of him is a good enough reason. When it comes down to it Christian is a basketball player while gift just plays basketball.

So if Jones improved as much as you think. No one else improved at the same rate?

This is no knock on Jones. There is simply so much depth he isn't needed. He can be a big contributor next year and even more so the year after. Him playing 5mpg in limited game this year isn't as valuable as him playing 25mpg in 2 years.

I think Gift gets less than 8mpg this year.

« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2013, 01:26:18 PM »

So if Jones improved as much as you think. No one else improved at the same rate?

This is no knock on Jones. There is simply so much depth he isn't needed. He can be a big contributor next year and even more so the year after. Him playing 5mpg in limited game this year isn't as valuable as him playing 25mpg in 2 years.

I think Gift gets less than 8mpg this year.

I didn't say nobody else improved. Just that maybe he is better than gift. I don't hate him being redshirted I just think he is different then the rest of our big men and because of that he adds value.

« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2013, 05:13:12 PM »
people keep saying redshirt to balance scholarships.

Exact same thing accomplished if his scholarship not given out in 2016.
Either way you play with 1 less player for 1 year.
Balancing will happen on its own- leave early for NBA, transfers out, JC's coming in.

If staff sees him as a probable starter in 2 years- might then
 be good to redshirt to then get 2 starting years from him.

But if they project him a bench player (possibly) then no redshirt & get his scholly avail in 2016.

I understand the extra year experience & balancing- but as said earlier somewhere-
 I would prefer a top 50 frosh that year than a boarderline starter 5th yr senior
Molloy '71