St. John's vs Wisconsin 11/8

• 507 replies
Re: St. John's vs Wisconsin 11/8
« Reply #260 on: November 08, 2013, 09:14:24 PM »
Giving up 80 to Wisconsin is as embarrassing as it gets...

They are a top 20 team...

« Reply #261 on: November 08, 2013, 09:14:38 PM »
Where's Hooper? Time to start chucking 3's.

Shooting with his machine in auxiliary gym.

His machine might be better than Branch.

Don't give up ok branch. Seems no other player has as quick a hook as him. No other black player I should say.

Branch has looked like Nuri the last 3 games.

Absolutely hasn't looked good so far. But he's looked good in the past.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #262 on: November 08, 2013, 09:15:03 PM »
Lavin hates white people

bk8664

« Reply #263 on: November 08, 2013, 09:16:14 PM »

I said it before and I’ll say it again, I think this will our toughest matchup until the NCAAs. For a couple of reasons:

1)   Wisconsin is absolutely killer with these threes and their discipline. We probably won’t see a team shoot as well as them all year long.

2)   Coach will have figured out his lineups very soon. The double point-guard line-up is a waste. We wasted possessions and points just on that. Jordan has to be the starting point, he can simply penetrate/create; Branch is not as good as him at that. Jordan has to get the preponderance of the point-guard minutes. I really hope coach doesn’t mess around. Jordan has certain elite skills. Get him in the game.

3)   I think (I really hope) Coach will learn his lesson and kill off this zone defense. We don’t execute it well. Just go with man to man. I’m really disappointed the coaches even dared Wisconsin with their zone defense. That was a huge mistake. This game will light a fire under the team to play better D.

4)   Sanchez was virtually eliminated from this game except for about 3 or 4 plays because of foul trouble. You can see why he’s a pretty darn good player. Even the announcers themselves said that the NBA scouts are interested in this guy. He can play. Very versatile.

Despite us losing, I think our team is going to be pretty good this year.

As a side note: Announcers on TV were good.

« Reply #264 on: November 08, 2013, 09:16:26 PM »
Ground hog Day. Only Sampson and Harrison have looked good
Jersey Mike's subs and Jason Kidd je struggled

« Reply #265 on: November 08, 2013, 09:16:53 PM »

Don't give up ok branch. Seems no other player has as quick a hook as him. No other black player I should say.

huh?

Sorry It was a joke. The guys who get the quickest hook are max and Marco. After that's it seems to be branch.

boo3

« Reply #266 on: November 08, 2013, 09:18:18 PM »

...that averages 62 ppg for the last 15 seasons

« Reply #267 on: November 08, 2013, 09:18:40 PM »
Prediction. Wisconsin will not score 80 again this year. Anyone want to take that bet?

Poison

« Reply #268 on: November 08, 2013, 09:20:01 PM »
Tonight the part normally played by Steve Lavin will be played by Brian Mahoney.

« Reply #269 on: November 08, 2013, 09:20:55 PM »
On a side not dlo looks great. Much much quicker an explosive.

« Reply #270 on: November 08, 2013, 09:21:13 PM »
These new foul rules are terrible.  It kills the flow of the game.  The entire game feels like the last 2 minutes when the team that is down keeps fouling.

« Reply #271 on: November 08, 2013, 09:22:38 PM »

huh?

Sorry It was a joke. The guys who get the quickest hook are max and Marco. After that's it seems to be branch.
I know u were kidding, but it is not white/black thing. Lavin can't coach guys who need help getting shots off. He likes guys who are athletic and can get their own shot off. Only problem is we only have two guys who can make shots. Bunch who can get them off, just can't make them. 

« Reply #272 on: November 08, 2013, 09:22:52 PM »

Right, but then we should get tons of credit for scoring 75 against them, no?

« Reply #273 on: November 08, 2013, 09:23:05 PM »
These new foul rules are terrible.  It kills the flow of the game.  The entire game feels like the last 2 minutes when the team that is down keeps fouling.

I thought in the 1st half it was fine. But there was a stretch in the 2nd half were there was literally a foul every possession---very hard to watch.

paultzman

« Reply #274 on: November 08, 2013, 09:23:16 PM »

Exactly. Please accept we played a lousy, disappointing game, especially on defense. Top 25 team or not, I thought we had players to easily compete with these guys.  We failed to compete tonight. Without an outstanding offense, how can you play such poor D & expect to do well. Early, but concerning.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 09:27:38 PM by paultzman »

Poison

« Reply #275 on: November 08, 2013, 09:24:22 PM »

I said it before and I’ll say it again, I think this will our toughest matchup until the NCAAs. For a couple of reasons:

1)   Wisconsin is absolutely killer with these threes and their discipline. We probably won’t see a team shoot as well as them all year long.

2)   Coach will have figured out his lineups very soon. The double point-guard line-up is a waste. We wasted possessions and points just on that. Jordan has to be the starting point, he can simply penetrate/create; Branch is not as good as him at that. Jordan has to get the preponderance of the point-guard minutes. I really hope coach doesn’t mess around. Jordan has certain elite skills. Get him in the game.

3)   I think (I really hope) Coach will learn his lesson and kill off this zone defense. We don’t execute it well. Just go with man to man. I’m really disappointed the coaches even dared Wisconsin with their zone defense. That was a huge mistake. This game will light a fire under the team to play better D.

4)   Sanchez was virtually eliminated from this game except for about 3 or 4 plays because of foul trouble. You can see why he’s a pretty darn good player. Even the announcers themselves said that the NBA scouts are interested in this guy. He can play. Very versatile.

Despite us losing, I think our team is going to be pretty good this year.

As a side note: Announcers on TV were good.

We can kill the zone, but then what? We don't play man to man defense any better.  I asked about an identity for this team. A POV on offense and defense. Lavin has neither. He may figure that out. I hope he does, but why after the trip to Europe and a long break since early March, have we come out like it was our first game?

« Reply #276 on: November 08, 2013, 09:24:54 PM »

I agree, really, really bad rule change.

boo3

« Reply #277 on: November 08, 2013, 09:25:24 PM »

Right, but then we should get tons of credit for scoring 75 against them, no?

Sure.. I'm not worried about the offense..  Defense and rebounding is what worries me.

« Reply #278 on: November 08, 2013, 09:26:21 PM »

Exactly. Please accept we played a lousy, disappointing game, especially on defense. Top 25 team or not, I thought we had players to easily compete with these guys.  We failed to compete tonight. Without a well oiled offense, how can you play such poor D & expect to do well. Early, but concerning.

I do accept, but can we not pretend its "as embarrassing as it gets" to lose to a top 20 team. It's not like we got blown out. We have a lot to improve on, but man, the debbie downers are out in full force after one game.

« Reply #279 on: November 08, 2013, 09:26:40 PM »
We really should press more after made shots.