San Francisco State Exhibiton Game

• 146 replies
Re: San Francisco State Exhibiton Game
« Reply #140 on: November 04, 2013, 07:04:35 PM »
I took a few tidbits from the game.

Yes, it was an exhibition, but SFS outcoached the jocks off our staff.  For us, it's an instant replay of last year except some players are better and others are the same or worse.

Harrison is way better.  He even smiled out there which was a good sign.

Jordan will be a star.

Maybe I focused too much on Sampson's flaws last year.  I can't forget we were a .500 team then.  My guess is it was an exhibition, so the coaches let him take 3s.  He's mediocre at best and worse from way out there.  The good news is no one in the NBA will be crazy enough to draft him, so he's ours through his senior year.

Green and to a lesser extent Branch didn't look like much.  Green will probably kill us against good teams.  I thought Lavin said Branch was the most improved player from one year to the next he's seen in his career.  Enough with the Dick Vitale exaggerations already!  You're not a broadcaster anymore.

Hooper looked like he was in shock when he took the two threes which he missed badly.  Now I'm in shock since I thought he'd be a real deal zone buster. And no Bourgault against a team that zoned us?  Yes, we were outcoached.

Sanchez was very good.  I don't know if he can play for the Utah Jazz today as some reporter opined, but he'll help,

God's Gift will also help if he's given some minutes.  At least he won't foul out.  He's one of the few players who brought some energy and he didn't stink out the joint as some of you claimed.

Pointer is out best player, hands down.

Hopefully, we see Balamou, Jones and Bourgault tonight...and Lavin actually coaching!

Pointer is our best player hands down? I'm going to raise my hand and remind you that Harrison has been reinstated, and that he is our best player, and has been since the first minute of the first game last season.

I love Pointer, but he's not a guy who will carry us. He's a great role player.
+1000

Marillac

« Reply #141 on: November 04, 2013, 07:17:28 PM »
Pointer our best player?  Guys giving up on Hooper after two shots? Sanchez labeled a freaking two guard? 
Our fanbase is nuts...just nuts.  It was an exhibition game! A time to work on new things and not give away too much for the Wisconsin game next week.  For SFSU, it was their Super Bowl, a game, win or lose, they will talk about the rest of their lives. 

I'm very happy we played such a quality opponent and got a gut-check so early.  That is incredibly valuable. These guys know even more that they have to get back and work harder to beat a team like Wisonsin THIS weekend. 

« Reply #142 on: November 04, 2013, 07:25:26 PM »
Pointer our best player?  Guys giving up on Hooper after two shots? Sanchez labeled a freaking two guard? 
Our fanbase is nuts...just nuts.  It was an exhibition game! A time to work on new things and not give away too much for the Wisconsin game next week.  For SFSU, it was their Super Bowl, a game, win or lose, they will talk about the rest of their lives. 

I'm very happy we played such a quality opponent and got a gut-check so early.  That is incredibly valuable. These guys know even more that they have to get back and work harder to beat a team like Wisonsin THIS weekend. 

Haha love the post but let's hear your opinions on what you saw.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #143 on: November 04, 2013, 08:21:18 PM »
Can Carmine provide a cheat sheet for all of his nicknames and abbreviations?

Anything for you Moose. 

Disclaimer: 1) I can't take credit for all of these although most are my creations.
                     2) The list is dynamic.

Steve Lavin - Hollywood; TGAPL

Phil Greene - Any geometric shape that isn't a circle; Mean Joe; Mr. Greenjeans

God's Gift Achuwa - Double G

Max Hooper - Crimson; King Crimson

DeAngelo Harrison - D'lo; 3'lo

Chris Obekpa - Oblockpa

Marco-Antoine Bourgault - "Marco" followed by any famous french persons last name;  Marco Polo ( not french - same descent as our beloved Looie )

Jakarr Sampson - n Deliliah

Felix Balamou - Felix the Cat; Balahoo; Balawho

Chris Jones - Mr. Jones
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:36:16 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Marillac

« Reply #144 on: November 05, 2013, 03:15:59 PM »

Predictably not happy with Sampson, but there is time for him to realize what we need him to do for us to win.

Harrison will be the man as expected.

Most of all, this team needs to gel and fast.  There is too much uncertainty--especially in the backcourt. The good news is that it's early.  Bad news is Wisconsin looms in approximately 72 hours.

MCNPA

« Reply #145 on: November 05, 2013, 03:36:44 PM »

Predictably not happy with Sampson, but there is time for him to realize what we need him to do for us to win.

Most of all, this team needs to gel and fast.  There is too much uncertainty--especially in the backcourt. The good news is that it's early.  Bad news is Wisconsin looms in approximately 72 hours.

Funny thing is that our backcourt seems to me a no-brainer.  Jordan and Harrison have both been fantastic out there.  They have both to me, clearly revealed they are ready to play.  Branch and Greene are perfect backups, but the ball needs to be in Jordan's hands as pg. 

CC

« Reply #146 on: November 05, 2013, 03:39:45 PM »

Funny thing is that our backcourt seems to me a no-brainer.  Jordan and Harrison have both been fantastic out there.  They have both to me, clearly revealed they are ready to play.  Branch and Greene are perfect backups, but the ball needs to be in Jordan's hands as pg. 

Agree those two are going to be a handful to guard. Jordan may need to be a little more selfish as the year goes on- he made the exra pass in the first two games after he already had beat his man.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 03:40:17 PM by CC »