San Francisco State Exhibiton Game

• 146 replies

Moose

Re: San Francisco State Exhibiton Game
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2013, 08:40:10 PM »
The team looked winded to me.

Pretty telling that Jones and Felix didn't see any time.  Don't like the Jones thing as I'm on record. 

Gift played WAY too much and was lost.  Of course less time for him and Sanchez when Chris plays.  I liked what I saw from Sanchez.  If thats what I get after a year of rust I'm very pleased.  He rebounds hard, has arguably the 3rd best handle on the team sadly.

Dee was in mid season form and a delight to watch.  Him and Rysheed will be dangerous.  Rysheed likes to drive but if we lolly gag the ball around the perimeter he won't get that chance.  Notice in the 2nd half he did get those chances and embraces the contact and can hit it or dish it.

Karr was lost today but I'm fine with that.  Yeah he took too many 3's considering last year he didn't hit one.  But that's what exhibitions are for.  To try things out when it doesn't matter.  We need him to become better from out there so fine.

Don't understand the few minutes Branch saw.  Phil was Phil.  Drive Phil your good at it.  Stop with fade away jumpers.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2013, 08:47:56 PM »
It's an exhibition so its hard to tell whats real and whats experimental but that was not an encouraging  showing.

desco80

« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2013, 08:58:29 PM »
In other news, it appeared we played exclusively man to man defense today.  So, that might be a sign that the matchup-zone is a thing of the past. 

Moose

« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2013, 09:18:59 PM »
In other news, it appeared we played exclusively man to man defense today.  So, that might be a sign that the matchup-zone is a thing of the past. 

What would you say the percentage was because I saw a good deal of zone tendencies. 
That being said I was more focused on the offense.

desco80

« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2013, 09:28:01 PM »

What would you say the percentage was because I saw a good deal of zone tendencies. 

I thought there's was a lot more man.  But I could be mistaken.   Truthfully when I looked at the D it was to we how we handled the screens and sometimes we fought through (weakly) and sometimes we switched (ineffectiveky).   So you could be right.  But it felt like a lot of man to me.

And I agree with your assessment of some of our guys looking a bit winded, and also wanting to see more Branch.  I liked when we had Branch Harrison and Jordan on the floor w Jakarr and Orlando.   Would like to see more of that lineup on Monday.   And if it still doesn't work, then move on, but test it out some more. 

« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2013, 10:23:10 PM »
I'm not picking on Dom, he actually hustles and plays with intensity. However I just don't understand this quote. The majority of the team are juniors...why is playing hard every night still a question? It has to be automatic. Very frustrating.

Junior Forward/Guard Sir'Dominic Pointer

On today's performance:

"I feel good that they came ready to play. It showed us that we have to come ready to play and play hard every time."

« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2013, 10:30:17 PM »

I didn't notice any zone at all.  I was thinking maybe I missed it but I think they went man the whole game.

paultzman

« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2013, 10:51:51 PM »
@RogRubin: St. John's survives exhibition game. Stud freshman Rysheed Jordan excels. The NYDN story: http://t.co/j9UEQ3617l.

Poison

« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2013, 10:55:09 PM »

I hope so, but we played man to man like we've never heard of the concept. We were incredibly slow. It was pathetic. SFS would set a pick, and it worked almost every time. That's unacceptable. I'm disappointed, because i think if you're an up and coming program, at some point, you have to be ready to play, and were weren't for a lot of reasons.

Two years ago, we said, hey, they're freshman. What happened this time?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 10:55:44 PM by Poison »

bk8664

« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2013, 11:11:50 PM »

I was actually more excited that I didn't see the 'weave' offense... I hope that has been laid to rest.

Moose

« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2013, 11:13:42 PM »

I was actually more excited that I didn't see the 'weave' offense... I hope that has been laid to rest.

They might not have weaved but we still had 4 even 5 guys passing the ball around the perimeter.  All the same to me.

desco80

« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2013, 01:07:51 AM »
I'm not picking on Dom, he actually hustles and plays with intensity. However I just don't understand this quote. The majority of the team are juniors...why is playing hard every night still a question? It has to be automatic. Very frustrating.

Junior Forward/Guard Sir'Dominic Pointer

On today's performance:

"I feel good that they came ready to play. It showed us that we have to come ready to play and play hard every time."

I think he was talking about San Fran state.  I took it as he was glad they had a hard fought game. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 01:25:46 AM by desco80 »

« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2013, 05:33:57 AM »
A bit concerned with the offense. It didn't look like much changed in terms of lack of penetration. Hopefully Rysheed will change that eventually.

bk8664

« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2013, 06:56:55 AM »

They might not have weaved but we still had 4 even 5 guys passing the ball around the perimeter.  All the same to me.

I hear you, but we can make ourselves feel by repeating the cliche to ourselves "one step at a time" ... but hopefully they take 38 steps by Monday night.

Poison

« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2013, 08:26:31 AM »

Pretty telling that Jones and Felix didn't see any time.  Don't like the Jones thing as I'm on record. 

Gift played WAY too much and was lost.  Of course less time for him and Sanchez when Chris plays.  I liked what I saw from Sanchez.  If thats what I get after a year of rust I'm very pleased.  He rebounds hard, has arguably the 3rd best handle on the team sadly.

Dee was in mid season form and a delight to watch.  Him and Rysheed will be dangerous.  Rysheed likes to drive but if we lolly gag the ball around the perimeter he won't get that chance.  Notice in the 2nd half he did get those chances and embraces the contact and can hit it or dish it.

Karr was lost today but I'm fine with that.  Yeah he took too many 3's considering last year he didn't hit one.  But that's what exhibitions are for.  To try things out when it doesn't matter.  We need him to become better from out there so fine.

Don't understand the few minutes Branch saw.  Phil was Phil.  Drive Phil your good at it.  Stop with fade away jumpers.

Branch couldn't keep up with their guards. He had 3 fouls in what seemed like 5 minutes. What was your problem w Gift? He actually played well in the second half. While Sanchez was popping fade away jumpers (and missing them all) Gift was going strong to the basket.

I'd like to every player go strong to the basket. They played like scared little girls yesterday.

« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2013, 09:17:56 AM »
Guys are way too excited (negatively) about this game.  We should have won by a biggerr margin but it is just the first exhibition game of the year.  Little can be taken from the result.

paultzman

« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2013, 09:28:52 AM »
“@tarik4turner: Although #SJUBB beat SF St, they have work to do. Defensive breakdowns & Turnovers were the issue. Good learning points for Lav & crew.”

MCNPA

« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2013, 09:37:03 AM »

Branch couldn't keep up with their guards. He had 3 fouls in what seemed like 5 minutes. What was your problem w Gift? He actually played well in the second half. While Sanchez was popping fade away jumpers (and missing them all) Gift was going strong to the basket.

I'd like to every player go strong to the basket. They played like scared little girls yesterday.

Sanchez rimmed out on a few jumpers but finished with 9 points, 10rebounds, 4assists, 4 steals and 2 blocks.  I'd say more than solid first outing.

Poison

« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2013, 09:37:51 AM »
Guys are way too excited (negatively) about this game.  We should have won by a biggerr margin but it is just the first exhibition game of the year.  Little can be taken from the result.

You're right, but when is a STJ team going to come out ready? SFS came out ready. It seems like we are always a work in progress. That is frustrating. Lavin said that they'll play their best ball in 3 months, but that shouldn't mean that we're a mess until then.

« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2013, 09:40:02 AM »
Takeaways.

Sanchez and Jordan looked good. 

Defense was atrocious.  We play an ole defense looking for steals and blocks.  We are in for more of the same if we can't teach these guys better defensive philosophies.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!