San Francisco State Exhibiton Game

• 146 replies

Poison

Re: San Francisco State Exhibiton Game
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2013, 09:40:40 AM »
The team looked winded to me.

Pretty telling that Jones and Felix didn't see any time.  Don't like the Jones thing as I'm on record. 

Gift played WAY too much and was lost.  Of course less time for him and Sanchez when Chris plays.  I liked what I saw from Sanchez.  If thats what I get after a year of rust I'm very pleased.  He rebounds hard, has arguably the 3rd best handle on the team sadly.

Dee was in mid season form and a delight to watch.  Him and Rysheed will be dangerous.  Rysheed likes to drive but if we lolly gag the ball around the perimeter he won't get that chance.  Notice in the 2nd half he did get those chances and embraces the contact and can hit it or dish it.

Karr was lost today but I'm fine with that.  Yeah he took too many 3's considering last year he didn't hit one.  But that's what exhibitions are for.  To try things out when it doesn't matter.  We need him to become better from out there so fine.

Don't understand the few minutes Branch saw.  Phil was Phil.  Drive Phil your good at it.  Stop with fade away jumpers.

Branch couldn't keep up with their guards. He had 3 fouls in what seemed like 5 minutes. What was your problem w Gift? He actually played well in the second half. While Sanchez was popping fade away jumpers (and missing them all) Gift was going strong to the basket.

I'd like to every player go strong to the basket. They played like scared little girls yesterday.

Sanchez rimmed out on a few jumpers but finished with 9 points, 10rebounds, 4assists, 4 steals and 2 blocks.  I'd say more than solid first outing.

I agree. My only point is that too many of our guys settle for jumpers when they should be going to the basket.

paultzman

« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2013, 09:43:34 AM »
Agree that one exhibition game means little. That said, I agree  with commentary about  our time consuming passing around  the perimeter approach, often resulting in last second rushed jumpers.  Correctible, yes. Not to beat a dead horse, but our historically offensively challenged team can't afford to give up so many easy baskets. The need to generate offense through steals, turnovers and stops is imperative. Fully expect that to be corrected as well.

All in all, I like the talent and makeup of the team.  Hopefully staff can bring it all together.

ras

« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2013, 10:09:09 AM »
Agree that one exhibition game means little. That said, I agree  with commentary about  our time consuming passing around  the perimeter approach, often resulting in last second rushed jumpers.  Correctible, yes. Not to beat a dead horse, but our historically offensively challenged team can't afford to give up so many easy baskets. The need to generate offense through steals, turnovers and stops is imperative. Fully expect that to be corrected as well.

All in all, I like the talent and makeup of the team.  Hopefully staff can bring it all together.
Correctable,yes. Unfortunately we have more horses than last year and more exp. We should be further along. But its only 1 game. Branch and Hooper should have gotten more minutes. Sampaon was bad, but ill give him a pass. We need a better inside game. Lets see how they do Mon.

« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2013, 10:09:09 AM »
In other news, it appeared we played exclusively man to man defense today.  So, that might be a sign that the matchup-zone is a thing of the past. 

I hope so, but we played man to man like we've never heard of the concept. We were incredibly slow. It was pathetic. SFS would set a pick, and it worked almost every time. That's unacceptable. I'm disappointed, because i think if you're an up and coming program, at some point, you have to be ready to play, and were weren't for a lot of reasons.

Two years ago, we said, hey, they're freshman. What happened this time?

I wonder if this is like the Syracuse v. LeMoyne scrimmage a few years back. Boehiem had syracuse play man the whole game to show them that they couldn't play man to man defense. After that loss they went back to the zone and never looked back.

Poison

« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2013, 10:12:08 AM »
In other news, it appeared we played exclusively man to man defense today.  So, that might be a sign that the matchup-zone is a thing of the past. 

I hope so, but we played man to man like we've never heard of the concept. We were incredibly slow. It was pathetic. SFS would set a pick, and it worked almost every time. That's unacceptable. I'm disappointed, because i think if you're an up and coming program, at some point, you have to be ready to play, and were weren't for a lot of reasons.

I wonder if this is like the Syracuse v. LeMoyne scrimmage a few years back. Boehiem had syracuse play man the whole game to show them that they couldn't play man to man defense. After that loss they went back to the zone and never looked back.

I was thinking that, too. Doesn't seem to be Lavin's style. This program needs to pick one and stick with it. Wisconsin is going to clean our clock if pull this crap against them.

hnk

« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2013, 10:15:51 AM »
I left the game yesterday more optimistic .  That's right more optimistic. 

The hype about the talent level is real.  I bet the team gets better game after game, wrinkle after wrinkle.  That's what happened w Coach Lavin's first Redstorm team. 

We have ten or eleven legit Big East players.  Four or five potential stars.  We have depth, length,....our shooting free throws and from three will be massively improved....our assists should skyrocket.  Obviously, we need to put defenses and offensive protocals in place.  Guys need to get comfortable in their roles.  NCAA here we come. 

MCNPA

« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2013, 10:33:53 AM »

I don't think we haphazardly passed around the perimeter though. I watched the game again. Very few times were we stymied by the defense.  We ended up making ill-advised passes quite a hit, leading to turnovers, and too many Sampson perimeter shots, but we routinely took the ball to the hole when we could.  Passing around the perimeter is pretty much a given in any 4-out 1-in offense.  We didn't run it crisply, but I think we will, especially when Jordan seizes all concepts.

It was very obvious to me that the dynamic between Jordan and D'Lo was excellent and that both guards will form a dangerous backcourt.  Both made a high percentage of shots, and both played very well together on the court.  Jordan is going to be fantastic for us, as is Sanchez.

Sampson was terrible yesterday.  He needs to go harder at the hoop as his range is still not out to 3-pt range.  Getting Obekpa back will be big as well, as his rebounding and shotblocking will help and he will allow Sanchez to move out to PF or SF. 

« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2013, 10:48:26 AM »

I was thinking that, too. Doesn't seem to be Lavin's style. This program needs to pick one and stick with it. Wisconsin is going to clean our clock if pull this crap against them.

http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=7298.0

That was a topic from after the Sonoma State Exhibition game last year. Get off the ledge everyone.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 10:48:48 AM by STJ11Redmen »

« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2013, 11:29:51 AM »

I don't think we haphazardly passed around the perimeter though. I watched the game again. Very few times were we stymied by the defense.  We ended up making ill-advised passes quite a hit, leading to turnovers, and too many Sampson perimeter shots, but we routinely took the ball to the hole when we could.  Passing around the perimeter is pretty much a given in any 4-out 1-in offense.  We didn't run it crisply, but I think we will, especially when Jordan seizes all concepts.

It was very obvious to me that the dynamic between Jordan and D'Lo was excellent and that both guards will form a dangerous backcourt.  Both made a high percentage of shots, and both played very well together on the court.  Jordan is going to be fantastic for us, as is Sanchez.

Sampson was terrible yesterday.  He needs to go harder at the hoop as his range is still not out to 3-pt range.  Getting Obekpa back will be big as well, as his rebounding and shotblocking will help and he will allow Sanchez to move out to PF or SF. 

Does anybody remember that ESPN show when they were following St. John's during the Jarvis years?  And when Jarvis asked all of his players which of them thought they should be shooting 3 pointers?  I think Willie Shaw and Kyle Cuffe raised their hands and Jarvis agreed.  And then Eric King raised his hand and Jarvis shot him down in front of the TV crew.

That is exactly what Lavin needs to do with Sampson.  I love JaKarr's game ... when he plays to his strengths.  The guy is a down low presence that for some reason has it in his head that he can shoot 18 footers or hoist up 4 three point shots in 1 game.  If he focuses on his strengths, he is a 1st round pick.  Somebody on our coaching staff needs to stress that of him.  Use your size and athleticism to dominate down low.  Stop trying to prove you are a wing player because you aren't.

« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2013, 11:33:23 AM »

Does anybody remember that ESPN show when they were following St. John's during the Jarvis years?  And when Jarvis asked all of his players which of them thought they should be shooting 3 pointers?  I think Willie Shaw and Kyle Cuffe raised their hands and Jarvis agreed.  And then Eric King raised his hand and Jarvis shot him down in front of the TV crew.

That is exactly what Lavin needs to do with Sampson.  I love JaKarr's game ... when he plays to his strengths.  The guy is a down low presence that for some reason has it in his head that he can shoot 18 footers or hoist up 4 three point shots in 1 game.  If he focuses on his strengths, he is a 1st round pick.  Somebody on our coaching staff needs to stress that of him.  Use your size and athleticism to dominate down low.  Stop trying to prove you are a wing player because you aren't.

I think it's the opposite with Jakarr. He needs to prove he is a wing player to be a first round pick. Without a jump shot he would get abused in the pros.

paultzman

« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2013, 11:46:44 AM »

I think it's the opposite with Jakarr. He needs to prove he is a wing player to be a first round pick. Without a jump shot he would get abused in the pros.

At the risk of being picky,  it seems Karr goes right every time he drives. Too predictable? That said, I like him and maybe I'm wrong. His jumper is fine at medium range. Hopefully his 3 attempts are rare and he continues to refine his shot selection.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 11:48:07 AM by paultzman »

Poison

« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2013, 11:56:47 AM »

The 3 point shot isn't his game. He needs to accept that or he can have a seat. There should be no room on this team for players who create their own system. 4 three pointers from a guy who made zero last year isn't a strategy we should have at any point in time.

We've got Jordan, Harrison and Hooper to shoot our threes. We need Jakarr to hit the glass. You want to play in the league and you're a forward? You should have 15-20 rebounds vs SFS.

« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2013, 12:28:52 PM »
Watched the game late and am not as worried as a lot of you guys. That team played a very good game and were able to hit shots consistently. Now are defense was not great what so ever (pick and roll defense was atrocious) so that had a lot to do with it, but overall I think it was them playing well more so than us playing that poorly.

A few take aways:

Harrison played absolutely phenomenal. He shot, drove, rebounded, and defended well IMO. He also hustled like a mad man which is something I hate applauding but it seems like its not always a given with this group.

Rysheed looked great and poised out there. He was a little bashfull out there but once he got comfortable you could really see his potential. Great feel around the basket and a super soft touch on his shot.  He had a few really  good passes in transition including one where he found dlo for a wide open three which just rimmed out. His defense will get better with time.

Sanches played really well I thought. He reminded me a little bit of Moe with his rebounding, his arms just seemed to keep going. He can pass it well and just needs to get more comfortable finishing around the basket again. I'm sure its been a while for him.

Dom played good and provided really good energy. I like him coming off the bench and doing just that. He still looks very awkward with the ball in his hands though.

Gift really went after rebounds well. Still lacks instincts.

Phil played well for a 4 minute stretch. Other than that he didn't do much. Like moose said he needs to focus on attacking not fading away on jumpers.

Branch didn't show up but I'm not that concerned. Hes a guy that needs to get in a good rhythm.

Jakarr played absolutely terrible IMO. Didn't attack, didn't rebound, Ive always been concerned with is offensive IQ, i think its close to the worst on the team honestly. Hes got talent just doesn't really know what to do with it. Some of the shots he takes are horrendous.

good to see the team come out with a late game win.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2013, 12:40:53 PM »

At the risk of being picky,  it seems Karr goes right every time he drives. Too predictable? That said, I like him and maybe I'm wrong. His jumper is fine at medium range. Hopefully his 3 attempts are rare and he continues to refine his shot selection.
If Jakarr is allowed to continue to play on the perimeter, we cannot play 3 guards. Someone (e.g. Pointer) will have to be in the game to hit the offensive boards.

Also think we need to define who is "in charge" when Branch and Jordan are in the game. Whoever is playing PG needs to clearly understand role and importance of breaking down the defense to get others uncontested shots.

Moose

« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2013, 12:48:24 PM »
The team looked winded to me.

Pretty telling that Jones and Felix didn't see any time.  Don't like the Jones thing as I'm on record. 

Gift played WAY too much and was lost.  Of course less time for him and Sanchez when Chris plays.  I liked what I saw from Sanchez.  If thats what I get after a year of rust I'm very pleased.  He rebounds hard, has arguably the 3rd best handle on the team sadly.

Dee was in mid season form and a delight to watch.  Him and Rysheed will be dangerous.  Rysheed likes to drive but if we lolly gag the ball around the perimeter he won't get that chance.  Notice in the 2nd half he did get those chances and embraces the contact and can hit it or dish it.

Karr was lost today but I'm fine with that.  Yeah he took too many 3's considering last year he didn't hit one.  But that's what exhibitions are for.  To try things out when it doesn't matter.  We need him to become better from out there so fine.

Don't understand the few minutes Branch saw.  Phil was Phil.  Drive Phil your good at it.  Stop with fade away jumpers.

Branch couldn't keep up with their guards. He had 3 fouls in what seemed like 5 minutes. What was your problem w Gift? He actually played well in the second half. While Sanchez was popping fade away jumpers (and missing them all) Gift was going strong to the basket.

I'd like to every player go strong to the basket. They played like scared little girls yesterday.

Branch picked up two fouls in the first 3-4 minutes yes.  Then sat the rest of the 1st.  Then he picked up another in short time in the 2nd half.  It's an exhibition game, so he could have gave him more burn if anything to learn how to play with those fouls.  Especially since by starting him with the others he felt he deserved a shot.

I had no problem with Sanchez shots.  He had 1 dumb turnover dribbing thru 3 guys off a rebound.  He is one of the 3 smartest players on the team.

Gift is all out of wack.  All over the place no coordination.  He did get hosed on that travel call though.  He just doesn't look good out there.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2013, 12:55:26 PM »
Most of the student section must have been new because they had no idea about the prayer hands for GG at the free throw line. Someone teach them!

hnk

« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2013, 12:56:32 PM »
Watching Whitesell on the bench.  He has aa much different style than Dunlap did.  Dunlap took copious notes and was always talking to Lavin at the start of timeouts etc.   

At the end of the game when Lavin put Branch back in...he had to get him from the bench...hope Branch wasn't sulking////dissension over playing time isn't something we need.

Moose

« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2013, 12:56:49 PM »

http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=7298.0

That was a topic from after the Sonoma State Exhibition game last year. Get off the ledge everyone.

Nice job.  I said to someone last night that I thought last year we did something funky during the exhibition games that was quickly abandoned.  Interesting.

paultzman

« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2013, 12:57:14 PM »
Most of the student section must have been new because they had no idea about the prayer hands for GG at the free throw line. Someone teach them!

They won't be praying much then.

Moose

« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2013, 12:59:04 PM »
Watching Whitesell on the bench.  He has aa much different style than Dunlap did.  Dunlap took copious notes and was always talking to Lavin at the start of timeouts etc.   

At the end of the game when Lavin put Branch back in...he had to get him from the bench...hope Branch wasn't sulking////dissension over playing time isn't something we need.

Whitesell was demonstrative at times though which was nice to see.  Not in a bad way but animated and coaching up players after they were pulled or late instructions while at the table waiting to go in.  Plus he was right next to Lavin in the huddle.