Humboldt State Game

• 114 replies

paultzman

Re: Humboldt State Game
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2013, 09:57:46 PM »
@QSJUHoops: St. John's dominates Div. II Humboldt St., 106-39, in final exhibition tune-up. #sjubb http://t.co/wqen1AvMZm

MCNPA

« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2013, 09:58:14 PM »
“@Kieran_Lynch: "Kids that didn't get in are redshirting." Lavin. Elaborated that Lipscomb, Balamou redshirting. Jones up in the air. #sjubb”

I still wouldn't mind keeping Christian Jones in the lineup, but Gift's play today probably sealed a redshirt for Jones.  Gift played great today and anybody who thinks he cant help us inside is crazy.

« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2013, 09:58:37 PM »
“@Kieran_Lynch: "Kids that didn't get in are redshirting." Lavin. Elaborated that Lipscomb, Balamou redshirting. Jones up in the air. #sjubb”

Lipscomb paying for that extra year out of his own pocket?

« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2013, 10:02:21 PM »

Very very weird.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2013, 10:04:42 PM »
The walkon who played tonight appers to be superior to Lipscomb. Why not redshirt him as he appear to have greater potential

paultzman

« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2013, 10:06:21 PM »

Very very weird.

Hopefully hedging on redshirting  Jones is not related to a problem. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:08:15 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2013, 10:06:52 PM »
Lipscomb?

Just the mention of his name brings back some bad memories from the end of last season.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:07:19 PM by 0404 »

Moose

« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2013, 10:24:09 PM »
Pretty funny:

Roger Rubin ‏@RogRubin  22m 
Former Rutgers coach Mike Rice is sitting behind the St. John's bench here in Carnesecca.

He was sitting with John Lucas.  Dee's support group :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2013, 10:27:42 PM »

Didn't know walkons could redshirt ha

Maybe that keeps him around to keep Daniel Giddens happy :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:30:23 PM by Moose »

« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2013, 10:29:26 PM »

Very very weird.

Hopefully hedging on redshirting  Jones is not related to a problem. 

Has me wondering too.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2013, 10:31:07 PM »
Pretty funny:

Former Rutgers coach Mike Rice is sitting behind the St. John's bench here in Carnesecca.

rice working out his anger issues with john lucas?
but seriously why was he there?

Moose

« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2013, 10:31:59 PM »
Pretty funny:

I'm serious.  Rice was in the same John Lucas camp as Harrison this summer. 

paultzman

« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2013, 10:34:42 PM »
@ECoastBias: Felix Balamou, David Lipscomb to redshirt; Christian Jones a candidate #sjubb http://t.co/2ahxpD9kdP

Poison

« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2013, 10:42:31 PM »
We're redshirting a walk on? Huh?

« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2013, 10:47:29 PM »
Just got back from the game.  Happy with improved ball movement even though that team we played against was awful.  Good news is that it appears the false-motion halfcourt offense is gone, and thank heavens for that.

-Jakarr's approach in terms of playing within 8-10 feet of the rim improved, but I'm worried that he's put himself into some bad basketball habits.  He missed a number of shots in which he should've used the glass and decided to instead finesse his shot in.  He also did the one-hand-rebounding nonsense that drives me crazy.  He needs to not worry about doing things the pretty way.

-Gift feasted tonight and it does looks like his hands are improved and I really liked his energy on the glass on both ends.  With that said, I believe he feasted off of the low-hanging-fruit his first year as well, so lets see if he'll get minutes or be effective vs. the big boys.

-Hooper is an interesting case. In the first game and the first half tonight his shot looked rushed and I thinkkkk it was nerves but it's hard to tell.  You could definitely tell things slowed down for him a bit in the second half and he held his follow-through and was in a better rhythm.  I think the jury is still out on him because we have to see how effective he can be with the pace and physicality of the bigtime Division 1 game.  He only played for 4 minutes vs Harvard, so this may take him some time to get used to the style of play.  He will definitely get multiple opportunities to prove he can make it work at this level, so we'll see.  Even tonight against a weak opponent, the game was a bit fast for him at times.

-Dom is an animal and is quickly becoming my favorite player on the team.  His energy is really palpable.  Even though Humboldt didn't score much from the outset, I really thought we played much of the first half on our heels defensively and wasn't pressuring the ball enough or being active enough.  Dom coming in and our zone helped to change things.  I really hope we see an extremely aggressive zone that plays into our style.  We cannot just sit back and let teams run their stuff in the halfcourt.  We're not that type of team.

Really excited for the first true test on Friday.

"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2013, 10:52:09 PM »
Just got back from the game.  Happy with improved ball movement even though that team we played against was awful.  Good news is that it appears the false-motion halfcourt offense is gone, and thank heavens for that.

-Jakarr's approach in terms of playing within 8-10 feet of the rim improved, but I'm worried that he's put himself into some bad basketball habits.  He missed a number of shots in which he should've used the glass and decided to instead finesse his shot in.  He also did the one-hand-rebounding nonsense that drives me crazy.  He needs to not worry about doing things the pretty way.

-Gift feasted tonight and it does looks like his hands are improved and I really liked his energy on the glass on both ends.  With that said, I believe he feasted off of the low-hanging-fruit his first year as well, so lets see if he'll get minutes or be effective vs. the big boys.

-Hooper is an interesting case. In the first game and the first half tonight his shot looked rushed and I thinkkkk it was nerves but it's hard to tell.  You could definitely tell things slowed down for him a bit in the second half and he held his follow-through and was in a better rhythm.  I think the jury is still out on him because we have to see how effective he can be with the pace and physicality of the bigtime Division 1 game.  He only played for 4 minutes vs Harvard, so this may take him some time to get used to the style of play.  He will definitely get multiple opportunities to prove he can make it work at this level, so we'll see.  Even tonight against a weak opponent, the game was a bit fast for him at times.

-Dom is an animal and is quickly becoming my favorite player on the team.  His energy is really palpable.  Even though Humboldt didn't score much from the outset, I really thought we played much of the first half on our heels defensively and wasn't pressuring the ball enough or being active enough.  Dom coming in and our zone helped to change things.  I really hope we see an extremely aggressive zone that plays into our style.  We cannot just sit back and let teams run their stuff in the halfcourt.  We're not that type of team.

Really excited for the first true test on Friday.

The play with Dom that stood out to me the most is when I think they had a 3 on 1 breakaway and we already had a big lead and Dom could have just given it up but he went up and blocked the shot. Was a real nice play

LJSA

« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2013, 10:52:30 PM »
Pretty funny:

Getting out and being seen acting normal helps rehab the image.

Tiznow

« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2013, 10:56:45 PM »
Pretty funny:

I'm serious.  Rice was in the same John Lucas camp as Harrison this summer. 

Lucas and Rice were hanging out together before the game at that pizza place on the corner of Utopia and Union.  Two guys hanging out in Queens and killing time before the game.  And no yelling at the pizza man. 

LJSA

« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2013, 10:57:16 PM »

Didn't know walkons could redshirt ha

Maybe that keeps him around to keep Daniel Giddens happy :)

There definitely has to be an ulterior motive, so I'm really hoping not to have to read 50 stupid Lipscomb jokes -- 45 of them from the same poster.

I think doing several favors for daddy Lipscomb does possibly help us in the long run, especially if son has a great experience at St. John's. So everyone cheer your balls off when he gets into a game in 2014-15. And help get him laid if you see him at a party.

MCNPA

« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2013, 11:06:27 PM »
@ECoastBias: Felix Balamou, David Lipscomb to redshirt; Christian Jones a candidate #sjubb http://t.co/2ahxpD9kdP

Felix will also have more time at SJU with Diallo... ;-)