Big Day Wednesday

• 50 replies

MCNPA

Re: Big Day Wednesday
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 12:51:53 PM »
Until Lavin said he was better than Jason Kidd I had always heard he was a scoring point. Which is fine, but then why is Branch starting with him? If he is really some combo Baron Davis / Jason Kidd, start him with Harrison play Pointer at the 3 and let Jordan do his thing

I happen to agree with you there.  Jordan should get majority minutes there.  25-30 minutes for Jordan and Harrison.  10-15 for Branch and Greene.

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 12:56:16 PM »
Sanchez, Sampson, Pointer, Harrison, Jordan start.
Obepka, GG, Greene, Branch off the bench
Nice solid 9 man rotation with no one playing out of position(well Sanchez and Sampson technically would)
We were getting killed on the boards with stupid three guard lineup, when they weren't hitting the open threes.

MCNPA

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 01:01:26 PM »
Nice solid 9 man rotation with no one playing out of position(well Sanchez and Sampson technically would)
We were getting killed on the boards with stupid three guard lineup, when they weren't hitting the open threes.

I agree.  And I stand by my statement that Gift is valuable for us in the frontcourt.  He should be part of the rotation.  He helps us more than going deep into our guard rotation.

boo3

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 01:02:53 PM »
 I was in favor of the 3 guard lineup to start the season to allow Jordan to get his feet wet..  Also bought into the hype that Branch would be a different player this season..  With Branch looking lost( albeit one game) and Jordan not looking scared, I'm all for abandoning the idea.

We certainly need the help on the boards.

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 01:06:36 PM »
My basic rule with PT is your best players should play and Pointer is clearly one of our 5 best and one of our better rebounders. If he plays close to 30 minutes I could see 9-6-5 statline for Dom.

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 01:41:04 PM »
Jordan is the only guard on the team who can penetrate. And apparently he can pass and score. He should be running the offense most of the game.

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2013, 01:50:20 PM »
Jordan is the only guard on the team who can penetrate. And apparently he can pass and score. He should be running the offense most of the game.

Harrison looks much improved in terms of penetrating ability.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2013, 01:53:14 PM »

Harrison looks much improved in terms of penetrating ability.

True. I just think he's too small and gets his shot blocked too often when he drives to the basket.

pmg911

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2013, 02:02:34 PM »

So Hooper gets no time at all...?

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 02:07:59 PM »
I have no idea if he can shoot or not, but he is not going to play or gets shots. Guys like that need help that he would not get in this offense or for this coach. I hope that "why isn't Hooper playing"  is notgoing to be an ongoing topic. Playing 10 guys is difficult anyway. I predicted he wasn't going to play before the season and I am standing by that.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 02:08:43 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2013, 02:57:14 PM »
has been the biggest issue on why we always look so stagnate on offense.

How can you describe an offense that just scored 52 points in one half of it's one and only game on a less than neutral court against a perennial top tier defensive team as "stagnant"?

The seasons begun.  Time to elevate your game Wasju.

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2013, 03:14:45 PM »
We were getting killed and played a scramble to try to get back in the game with our two best players playing well. Fools gold. 10 asst 12 turnovers and 2-13 from three.In the 1st half we looked liked we did last season minus the circle offense.
I thought that was pretty obvious

CC

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2013, 03:42:01 PM »

Agree 9 man rotation.

CC

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2013, 03:43:26 PM »

So Hooper gets no time at all...?
He will get some mins vs Monmouth and Longwood

SJUFAN

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2013, 04:03:25 PM »
Until Lavin said he was better than Jason Kidd I had always heard he was a scoring point. Which is fine, but then why is Branch starting with him? If he is really some combo Baron Davis / Jason Kidd, start him with Harrison play Pointer at the 3 and let Jordan do his thing

I happen to agree with you there.  Jordan should get majority minutes there.  25-30 minutes for Jordan and Harrison.  10-15 for Branch and Greene.

I think Branch impressed during the off season and earned the spot. Like CJ did last year until it was obvious it wasn't working. Same may be true with Branch. With the new rules, Branch could flourish, he is capible of taking his man off the dribble. Now we just need to see if he is willing to do so, if not then Dom should get the starting nod over him.

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2013, 04:25:52 PM »
We were getting killed and played a scramble to try to get back in the game with our two best players playing well. Fools gold. 10 asst 12 turnovers and 2-13 from three.In the 1st half we looked liked we did last season minus the circle offense.
I thought that was pretty obvious

Sign me up for a 52 point per half stagnant offense any day of the week. 

Come to think of it...the offense looked extremely stagnant against Humboldt State as well.

MCNPA

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2013, 06:24:34 PM »
Our offense didn't stagnate at all.   We just missed too many shots in the first half to keep the game tight. 

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2013, 06:38:51 PM »
Our offense didn't stagnate at all.   We just missed too many shots in the first half to keep the game tight. 

It was definitely stagnant early in the 1st. When we were down 33-15.

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2013, 08:34:03 PM »

It was definitely stagnant early in the 1st. When we were down 33-15.

+1
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2013, 08:41:57 PM »
Don't talk facts or actually make sense... you might injure some brains

How about this for FACTS...........to date, one player brought in the last and present recruiting classes.  What big time program brings in ONE player in Two classes. What big time program has to rely on the late signing period to bring in a top flight recruit?  As Surinam Cheese to eloquently put, if you so called fans of the program think that we're are going to compete with the Cuses of the world bringing in one rated player in two consecutive recruiting classes you're nuts.

At this point, I'm more worried about beating a team like LIU who lost by 1 to top 25 Indiana in Indiana.