Bucknell

• 249 replies
Re: Bucknell
« Reply #160 on: November 19, 2013, 11:09:32 PM »
Tale of Two Halves...

We played pretty poorly in the first half.  Total turnaround after halftime.  Defense was much, much better.

Pleased with the result...

Bucknell couldn't handle the zone... once we switched to the zone, their point guard play went down the tubes.

So, apparently, Lavin out coached the opponent.

« Reply #161 on: November 19, 2013, 11:20:26 PM »
Nice win.  Phil coming up big.  Like how CO played too.   Nice to win with Dlo struggling.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

desco80

« Reply #162 on: November 19, 2013, 11:23:11 PM »
hang on, we've only taken 2 FT's the whole game?

I really appreciate that the Refs didn't kill the flow of the game with fouls.  We got a few hand checks called on us but not too many.  Bucknell hardly had any until they started intentionally foyling at the end of the game.

I generally agree, I'd rather the refs let them play like they did tonight.  But the problem is that a lot of other crews are going to call 4x as many fouls.  It can't be so inconsistent game to game.   So if the new rules require more fouls, they should've been called tonight or the kids won't know what to expect next time out.

« Reply #163 on: November 19, 2013, 11:42:01 PM »
It actually was a rather cleanly played game.  I don't think the refs were ignoring obvious fouls.  Bucknell basically collapsed and gave us open looks on the outside.  We took them (and missed) so there were few fouls.

desco80

« Reply #164 on: November 19, 2013, 11:52:12 PM »
It actually was a rather cleanly played game.  I don't think the refs were ignoring obvious fouls.  Bucknell basically collapsed and gave us open looks on the outside.  We took them (and missed) so there were few fouls.

They were collapsing to the lane, that is true.   But I do think the officiating was inconsistent to what we saw being called the first two games.   
Sampson, Sanchez, Greene, Pointer, Obekpa, Jordan all played sizable minutes and combined they had 0 free throw attempts until Jakarr got fouled when Bucknell was trying to stop the clock.   Keep in mind we had 36 free throw attempts vs Wagner.

Granted Bucknell's defense collapsed, and we probably weren't as aggressive as we should've been driving to the basket; but those results were also a product of officiating.

« Reply #165 on: November 19, 2013, 11:57:26 PM »

redslope

« Reply #166 on: November 20, 2013, 12:04:03 AM »
The fouls were not there to call virtually no hand checking. 

When we switched to the zone in 2nd half, I was extremely worried as how we covered the 3PT line so far but tonight the team really did a good job, particularly when they went zone.  They were cognizant of where the shooters were.  They switched and covered for each other in  a way I have not seen in a while.  Interesting how coach switched from man to zone and it turned the game around.  We played a 2/3 at first and then moved to a s 3/2 with Sir at the point.  D'angelo did not have it offensively tonight but his defensive effort was excellent in the second half.  The zone also covered Phil's flaws and Sir was relentless.

It is a shame that more folks did not come out to support the team tonight.  The game was a truly exciting.  Bucknell is not a cupcake and playing them can only help down the road.  We played a well coached team that plays within its limitations that has an excellent player in Ayers.  We did a good job of denying him the ball in the second as he was mostly getting it outside of his shooting comfort zone. 

We need an easy win on Friday as my heart can't take a second game like this in one week.

paultzman

« Reply #167 on: November 20, 2013, 12:17:14 AM »
@CBTonNBC: St. John’s “problem solves” in comeback win over Bucknell http://t.co/ULaXGZI2g4

« Reply #168 on: November 20, 2013, 12:25:51 AM »
Don't know the rebounding stats so to me the stat of the game was our 13 blocks. IMHO it was also the biggest factor of the game. Our athleticism really came through tonight. Nice win.

tnice

« Reply #169 on: November 20, 2013, 12:33:40 AM »
Lots of things to like tonight against  a well coached, probable tournament team:

-Even though there were some rough moments in the early going, the effort level in our man D was several notches above where it was the first two games and well into the "acceptable" column. Also, after those rough early moments the players seemed to adjust to the Bucknell offensive scheme somewhat...again, not something characteristic of this team. While the effort level may not have paid immediate dividends, it definitely wore down Bucknell as the game went on.

-Sheed showed some flashes

-Thought Obekpa played one his best, most intelligent and under control games in an SJU uniform.

-Major improvement in the ball and player movement on offense. Especially loved the adjustment, after settling for jumper after jumper, of forcing the ball into the post. Whoever said they'd like to see Primo get the ball in the post more, totally agree.

-The switch to a straight 2-3 zone, without the stupid man to man principles ( i.e. "wide open three ball giver upper principles) with Obekpa playing rim protector instead of defending out at the foul line was a great call and really finished off a tired Bucknell team. More please!

-Overall thought the team showed a lot of poise and maturity

The bad:

-Zero excuse for getting outrebounded by that team, and except for Obekpa, offensive boards were practically non existent.

-I am consistently amazed at how often our supposedly superior athletes get beaten off the bounce by mid-major white boys.

-Branch was maddening again tonight
-JaKarr was maddening again tonight and has actually regressed basketball IQ wise through the first three games. Again forced a number of awful shots.

-Dom was his usual stat sheet stuffer tonight, but Bucknell showed him zero respect , often staying inside the foul line or foul line extended when he had the ball with his heels on the three line. He is going to be on the court when the games are on the line because of everything else that he brings...I was really hoping he would make the next step into Lavor Postell shooting territory ( not an assassin, but consistent from midrange and three, count on him in the clutch) but that hasn't happened. For this team to be Sweet Sixteen-good, I think Dom has to take that next step and so far its still line drive jumpers as far as the eye can see.

Overall, just really happy with the progress they made in a number of areas.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 01:16:55 AM by tnice »

« Reply #170 on: November 20, 2013, 12:49:37 AM »
I give Greene a hard time on here a lot but man did he catch fire at the right time tonight, we lose without him. Well played game and a fun one to watch.

Poison

« Reply #171 on: November 20, 2013, 01:22:05 AM »
Back from the game. I'd like to share some thoughts w the board.

First the positives:

- When coach used Obekpa in the match up zone, it changed everything. Bucknell was nuetralized. They couldn't penetrate.

- Phil Greene played beautifully. He made big shots, and he didn't force shots or passes. He was difference. When the turn game turned, it was Greene who keyed the run.

- Obekpa. Bucknell had nothing inside once Obekpa came in, and stayed in.

- As a team, I thought we passed the ball better, rebounded better and we had active hands on D.

The negatives:

Sampson and Pointer often bring the ball up at a furious pace, and it seems as if they have no idea what they are going to do with the ball. Sometimes they do this on a fast break, and ruin it, and other times they do it just to do it. I really wish they'd cut it out. Play your own position guys.

- We still can't shoot very well, but at least we didn't takeca ton of threes. We started off taking 10/15 jumpers in the first half. Maybe in our next game, they'll cut the jumpers down even more. At the very least, I'd like them to stop taking jumpers a foot inside the 3 point line.

- Jordan looked pretty good overall. He turned the ball over early in the second half, and that was it for him.

- Branch doesn't play with enough fire. He is lackadaisical on offense and defense. Can't figure out what kind of offense he'd like to run. A point guard on a BE team should be able to take a PG from a Patriot League school off the dribble. Branch didn't even try. They're PG was driving at will in the first half. Branch just seems frail to me. I think he should have hit the weight room in the off season. I suppose it's not too late.

- Sampson, if you're double teamed, find the open man. Can't go pro if you're a black hole.

- No Hooper, Bourgault, Balamou or Jones. Not one minute. Coach Keady said there could be "several red shirts". BUT, he also said that it is "up to coach", and that it is still undecided.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 01:32:14 AM by Poison »

« Reply #172 on: November 20, 2013, 01:32:27 AM »
Good win, credit coach and the team for making adjustments

kjd01067

« Reply #173 on: November 20, 2013, 06:09:22 AM »
Good win,  This is a game St. John's loses in the past 10 years

« Reply #174 on: November 20, 2013, 06:51:07 AM »
The scene becomes increasingly familiar with each game.
St. John’s steps onto the floor to face its opponent, but ultimately engages in a battle that stretches beyond 40 minutes and may not be settled for months.
All Tuesday night, St. John’s bounced back and forth, showing just how far it can go and then displaying just how far it still has to go.

http://nypost.com/2013/11/19/late-push-drives-st-johns-past-bucknell/

« Reply #175 on: November 20, 2013, 06:53:10 AM »
St. John's got its first glimpse of what it could be on Tuesday night.
This Red Storm team has aspirations to go far in the NCAA Tournament this season, and a 67-63 victory over Bucknell — no matter how scrappy it was — at Carnesecca Arena certainly doesn’t bolster that notion, at least on the surface. But look at how the Johnnies came back in the second half to win, and the components start to show themselves.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/st-john-athleticism-pushes-squad-bucknell-67-63-article-1.1522951#ixzz2lBabFgac

« Reply #176 on: November 20, 2013, 07:24:16 AM »

First the positives:

- When coach used Obekpa in the match up zone, it changed everything. Bucknell was nuetralized. They couldn't penetrate.

- Phil Greene played beautifully. He made big shots, and he didn't force shots or passes. He was difference. When the turn game turned, it was Greene who keyed the run.

- As a team, I thought we passed the ball better, rebounded better and we had active hands on D.

The negatives:

Sampson and Pointer often bring the ball up at a furious pace, and it seems as if they have no idea what they are going to do with the ball. Sometimes they do this on a fast break, and ruin it, and other times they do it just to do it. I really wish they'd cut it out. Play your own position guys.

- We still can't shoot very well, but at least we didn't takeca ton of threes. We started off taking 10/15 jumpers in the first half. Maybe in our next game, they'll cut the jumpers down even more. At the very least, I'd like them to stop taking jumpers a foot inside the 3 point line.

- Jordan looked pretty good overall. He turned the ball over early in the second half, and that was it for him.

- Branch doesn't play with enough fire. He is lackadaisical on offense and defense. Can't figure out what kind of offense he'd like to run. A point guard on a BE team should be able to take a PG from a Patriot League school off the dribble. Branch didn't even try. They're PG was driving at will in the first half. Branch just seems frail to me. I think he should have hit the weight room in the off season. I suppose it's not too late.

- Sampson, if you're double teamed, find the open man. Can't go pro if you're a black hole.

- No Hooper, Bourgault, Balamou or Jones. Not one minute. Coach Keady said there could be "several red shirts". BUT, he also said that it is "up to coach", and that it is still undecided.
I agree with your point regarding Branch and penetrating the paint, I didn't notice Jordan doing it either, but settling for jump shots himself. Did I miss something? Jordan was okay, not too excited by Rysheed yet, but there it time.

Poison

« Reply #177 on: November 20, 2013, 08:04:26 AM »

First the positives:

The negatives:

I agree with your point regarding Branch and penetrating the paint, I didn't notice Jordan doing it either, but settling for jump shots himself. Did I miss something? Jordan was okay, not too excited by Rysheed yet, but there it time.

Jordan didn't penetrate much either. That's true. Personally, I'm ok w him shooting jumpers. Can shoot jumpers. Branch has made 2 jumpers in his last 20 games, he shouldn't taking them. Neither should Pointer. These guys need to go to the basket.

When we penetrated and dished, like Sanchez did one particular play in the second half, Greene was open for a three. Yes, I said Greene.

gman

« Reply #178 on: November 20, 2013, 08:55:02 AM »

First the positives:

The negatives:

Jordan didn't penetrate much either. That's true. Personally, I'm ok w him shooting jumpers. Can shoot jumpers. Branch has made 2 jumpers in his last 20 games, he shouldn't taking them. Neither should Pointer. These guys need to go to the basket.

When we penetrated and dished, like Sanchez did one particular play in the second half, Greene was open for a three. Yes, I said Greene.

Dom shills never take a shot unless there is 1 second left on the clock and the ball shouldn't be in his hands at that point. There is no reason for the opposing team to cover his more than 10 feet from the hoop.

« Reply #179 on: November 20, 2013, 08:59:28 AM »
The real question is, how many local D1 teams haven't beaten STJ in the last 20 years?
Fordham, Manhattan, Iona, Hofstra, St.Francis, LIU and Fairfield have all beaten us.
(That's a lot of suffering)

And that's just off the top of my head. Stony Brook and Wagner have not beaten us. At least not in a very long time. Eventually, it's gonna happen.

How embarrassing was it when STJ refused to play Hofstra anymore after they beat them a few times

Iona, Manhattan, Niagara, the list feels like it's endless.

Those three would make more sense than Longwood, Monmouth, and Youngstown St

Monmouth and Longwood were not scheduled by us.  Part of the Barclays Classic.  Youngstown St. won 18 games last year, and went to the CIT posteseason.  Don't know what their returning situation is though.

I think the Bucknell game will be similar to the Detriot game last year, and the Lehigh game the year before that.  I wouldn't count this as the annual "on-campus shocking loss" because, IMO, Bucknell has too much credibility for that.  None of us would be really suprised by a loss, unlike Ashville last year, or Northeastern the year before.  Like I said though, I expect this game to be like the first two I mentioned, and those did wind up as victories in the end.

Excellent pregame analysis!!