Bucknell

• 249 replies

Poison

Re: Bucknell
« Reply #200 on: November 20, 2013, 06:57:13 PM »
You know a poster has an agenda when they disregard blatant facts.  Bucknell is not a world beater.  But they are a solid mid major.  They made the tourney last year and probably will do so again.  With the right matchup, they could win a game.  It wasn't the best W in the world, but it wasn't against a patsy either.
You know a poster has an agenda when they disregard blatant facts.  Bucknell is not a world beater.  But they are a solid mid major.  They made the tourney last year and probably will do so again.  With the right matchup, they could win a game.  It wasn't the best W in the world, but it wasn't against a patsy either.

When they beat Kansas in March they were every bit the world beater ;)

Moose

« Reply #201 on: November 20, 2013, 06:59:11 PM »
Watching the game now. Greene is knocking them down but I still hate his shot selection. He has to lead the nation in attempted long 2's

He does.  But if he doesn't fade away its amazing how much the chances of them going in increases.  First half he threw up some patented fade aways.  2nd half he wasnt.

Greene isn't a bad shooter like many on this board think he is. It really has more to do with shot selection. When Greene shoots an open jumper, I'm fairly confident it's going in. It's just he takes way too many contested ones.

A lot of players are good shooters when wide open :)

I agree though that as a team we take too many contested.  The good thing is when they are open they are doing a much better job of knocking down those shots as opposed to recent years.  Now its a question of getting open looks.

Back to Greene again and he was our best player last night hands down, but you cannot take fadeaway long 2's and 3's like he does.  I will never consider him a good shooter if that trend continues.  In the 2nd half he was stepping into his shots nice.  Now if only Dom could step in less ;)
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #202 on: November 20, 2013, 07:02:34 PM »
Watching the game now. Greene is knocking them down but I still hate his shot selection. He has to lead the nation in attempted long 2's

He does.  But if he doesn't fade away its amazing how much the chances of them going in increases.  First half he threw up some patented fade aways.  2nd half he wasnt.

Greene to his left, step back, is his 2nd best shot. First is the floater. Less is almost more with Greene and if he can eliminate some of the poor shots he takes he will be extremely efficient because he really takes care of the ball. His TOs are very very low.

The step back jumper was really falling for him in the second half. The floater I haven't seen much of. I don't even think I saw it last night. I this was more of a case of Greene picking up guys like Harrison and Branch that simply couldn't score enough, as certainly not enough as Bucknell's Ayers.

« Reply #203 on: November 20, 2013, 07:05:21 PM »

Greene isn't a bad shooter like many on this board think he is. It really has more to do with shot selection. When Greene shoots an open jumper, I'm fairly confident it's going in. It's just he takes way too many contested ones.

A lot of players are good shooters when wide open :)

Not on our team :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 07:05:52 PM by redstorm212 »

Moose

« Reply #204 on: November 20, 2013, 07:24:52 PM »

Greene to his left, step back, is his 2nd best shot. First is the floater. Less is almost more with Greene and if he can eliminate some of the poor shots he takes he will be extremely efficient because he really takes care of the ball. His TOs are very very low.

The step back jumper was really falling for him in the second half. The floater I haven't seen much of. I don't even think I saw it last night. I this was more of a case of Greene picking up guys like Harrison and Branch that simply couldn't score enough, as certainly not enough as Bucknell's Ayers.

You thought those were step back J's in the 2nd half?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #205 on: November 20, 2013, 07:32:34 PM »
If every player in the rotation averaged what Phil averaged last year, we would be National Champions.

« Reply #207 on: November 20, 2013, 07:49:50 PM »
Bucknell is so good, real good. They've dominated the Patriot league for a few years including when Lehigh had NBA player CJ McCollum on their squad. They are very well coached and they represent everything that St. John's has struggled with in the past. This is a bigger win than people may think.

I wasn't going to be surprised if St. John's lost last night.
Agree that Bucknell is pretty good and it was a nice win we played pretty well. FWIW Bucknell was picked 4th pre season in the Patriot league.

« Reply #208 on: November 20, 2013, 07:51:25 PM »
If every player in the rotation averaged what Phil averaged last year, we would be National Champions.
Every player in the rotation can not get as many minutes as Phil who actually got the most minutes last night with 34.

TONYD3

« Reply #209 on: November 20, 2013, 08:20:30 PM »
I was happy with the effort. I would like us to start games better. Our depth won the game for us. I am happy we won. I think bucknel is well coached, but they are only 4th projected in the patriot league behind army. I was unable to the game last night. Heard that on tv. Kind of think we are giving bucknel a little to much respect. I think if we played them in January we beat them by 10. If we play them in march blow out.
Thought pointer was overrated out of hs, becoming my favorite player. Don't think he should be out of the game unless he is exhausted.  Obekpa looks much more physical. 2nd half defense was great. Harrison did a great job closing out the game .
Coach made some adjustments at halftime. good win

Poison

« Reply #210 on: November 20, 2013, 08:23:21 PM »

You thought those were step back J's in the 2nd half?

One clearly was. The others now that I think about it, were shots he took after catching and them shooting.

boo3

« Reply #211 on: November 20, 2013, 08:24:59 PM »
 We lose that game any of the last 10 years.... We've all seen it.. Well coached , good shooting team comes in , takes lead and finishes it..

Great to see that not happen again.  I certainly wasn't very hopeful after watching the first half.. Good to know this team won't go into the tank when they are having a bad half

« Reply #212 on: November 20, 2013, 08:25:15 PM »

If every player in the rotation averaged  what Phil averaged last year we would be 340th in the country in FG percentage and  dead last in 3 point percentage.

« Reply #213 on: November 20, 2013, 08:27:17 PM »
Every player in the rotation can not get as many minutes as Phil who actually got the most minutes last night with 34.

I was being facetious but Phil does get knocked more than he deserves.

« Reply #214 on: November 20, 2013, 08:28:33 PM »

If every player in the rotation averaged  what Phil averaged last year we would be 340th in the country in FG percentage and  dead last in 3 point percentage.

And score 90 pts a game.     ;D

desco80

« Reply #215 on: November 20, 2013, 08:33:55 PM »

For good reason though.   He had some atrocious shooting games last season.  4-15 against Providence?   2-11 against UCONN,   1-8 from 3pt alone in one of the ND games.     And that's not even considering his dribble-in-a-circle-and-stall-the-offense-move.    That doesn't show up in the box score, but was a killer. 

Whatever it is, hopefully it's behind him though.   But he got his reputation on here for a reason.

jr49

« Reply #216 on: November 20, 2013, 08:37:58 PM »

Yes he does, but not by the man who makes sure he gets his run.

« Reply #217 on: November 20, 2013, 08:43:44 PM »
Well Phil is the reason we avoided an embarrassing loss, so hopefully that cuts him some slack for a bit.

boo3

« Reply #218 on: November 20, 2013, 09:27:56 PM »
Well Phil is the reason we avoided an embarrassing loss, so hopefully that cuts him some slack for a bit.

Apparently not.  Lets post his horrific numbers from games last year.. lol..  Last year is over.  Everyone deserves a clean slate this year, no?

« Reply #219 on: November 20, 2013, 09:43:41 PM »
He was put in a position where he had to play a pg which is not his natural position.  He had an injured hip which he needed surgery and finally has more players around him this year so he does not have to play away from his strengths.  Some people just like to complain it seems like; sorry state of affairs when you are all over a 20 year old kid for no reason.