Wagner Game Discussion

• 86 replies

paultzman

Re: Wagner Game Discussion
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2013, 11:06:07 PM »
Johnnies sweep past Wagner for first win
Kieran Lynch , Editor-in-Chief • November 15, 2013 • Leave a Comment

Coming off a season-opening loss to No. 20 Wisconsin last week, the St. John’s men’s basketball team knew it had to get in the win column. That would hardly be a guarantee without an emphasis on the deficiencies exhibited last week – mainly defense and 3-point shooting.
It got a little of one and none of the other.

St. John’s defeated Wagner 73-57 after leading wire-to-wire, yet failing to hit a shot from beyond the arc at Carnesecca Arena Friday.

At the same time, the Red Storm (1-1) held the Seahawks (1-2) to 35.5 percent from the field and forced 15 turnovers – an improvement on last week’s defensive performance.

“I thought we were effective with moving the feet without fouling and using our speed, our length and our quickness to disrupt what Wagner was trying to do,” head coach Steve Lavin said.

Though the Johnnies never relinquished a lead, the game had its tighter moments. The Seahawks drew within six with 3:45 left in the second half after the Red Storm built up as much as an 18-point lead in the first 20 minutes.
Wagner failed to hit the 3-point shot with any consistency, going 7 of 23 from behind the arc in the first half. St. John’s fared worse, failing to hit any in 10 attempts. The Johnnies only attempted two from behind the arc in the second half, but it was less a concerted effort to curtail the shot as a different game plan, sophomore forward JaKarr Sampson said.

“I guess it was just in the flow of the game. The second half we came out and we just wanted to attack the paint,” Sampson said. “We just came out with a different mindset. We wanted to attack the paint.”
Lavin said that while he isn’t opposed to the 3-pointer, his team is better suited to attack the paint.

“I wish we took less of them,” Lavin said, referring to what he saw as some poorly placed shots early. “I think we’re a better team when we’re fueling our offensive attack through our defense.
Sophomore guard Max Hooper, who specializes in shooting, saw less than a minute of action and senior shooting guard Marco Bourgault didn’t see the floor because Lavin chose to go with a quicker group, Lavin said.

“I was concerned about the speed off the dribble of Wagner and so we went with a faster, quicker, more experienced team for the majority of the game,” he said.
A big difference between the team’s opener against Wisconsin and the home opener was the amount of turnovers. St. John’s gave up the ball twice in the first half versus 10 times in the first 20 minutes against the Badgers – which was one more than the total against the Seahawks.

D’Angelo Harrison led all scorers with 25 points. JaKarr Sampson added 13 and Pointer 10. Senior forward Orlando Sanchez contributed eight points and eight rebounds.
Freshman guard Rysheed Jordan didn’t score a point after contributing six in his first college game. Sampson, who experienced similar struggles at the start of his debut season last year, chalked it up to self-induced pressure.

“He’s in a rough stage right now, but he’s the type of player that’s got high expectations for himself, so maybe he just needs to take a deep breath and relax,” Sampson said. “I feel like I’m the same way. I put so much pressure on myself that sometimes that can have a negative effect on my game.”

Guard Latif Rivers led Wagner with 18 points, while guard Jay Harris followed him up with 14 of his own.

@Kieran_Lynch: #sjubb recap: http://t.co/nCn2zfglio
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 11:14:57 PM by paultzman »

boo3

« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2013, 11:12:04 PM »
Paultz-  that link above doesn't work...

Went to the game tonight.. Had an interesting perspective as I sat on the court with my friend/co-worker who calls the games fro Wagner.

Harrison looks like a different person.. really looks different. Lost weight and is definitely quicker and more athletic. He was throwing down some serious dunks in pre-game.. I didn't think he could even dunk last year..  He is our guy, go-to, main man..No question. 1st team all BE this season.

Was really looking forward to watching Jordan but he really struggled. Couldn't get anything to fall and then forced some shots. He sat most of the second half. Luckily Brach was able to fill in admirably.

Sanchez looked to me like he will be the real deal.  Not sure he does anything great, but does a lot of things good.. A lot like Pointer in that regards, but Orlando has a superior offensive game in comparison.

Pointer was great in the 2nd half after being invisible in the first.

Sampson was solid.

My friend,, who knows a thing or two about college basketball, told me he really likes what he saw in Sanchez.  Believes we should be competing for the BE championship, based on talent.

Personally, I thought ST.Johns played very good with the exception of 10 minutes, late 1st half, beginning of second.  3/4 of game was well played.  Wagner was feisty and did hit some ridiculous circus shots.

Call me crazy ( or any other names you feel like), I still think this team is going to be very good when all is said and done.  Jordan needs to get comfortable out there, as he is clearly not yet.  It will come, and when it does, watch out.    When Jordan emerges it will also mean less Green, who is only effective in short spurts..

Jordan, Harrison, Pointer, Sanchez, Sampson is a very talented group.. When they put it all together, it will be a lot of fun..  Sure, there are things that aren't great..shooting, lapses on defense  but I think most college teams face similar problems in the beginning of a new season. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 11:13:59 PM by boo3 »

paultzman

« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2013, 11:28:30 PM »
Paultz-  that link above doesn't work...

Went to the game tonight.. Had an interesting perspective as I sat on the court with my friend/co-worker who calls the games fro Wagner.

Harrison looks like a different person.. really looks different. Lost weight and is definitely quicker and more athletic. He was throwing down some serious dunks in pre-game.. I didn't think he could even dunk last year..  He is our guy, go-to, main man..No question. 1st team all BE this season.

Was really looking forward to watching Jordan but he really struggled. Couldn't get anything to fall and then forced some shots. He sat most of the second half. Luckily Brach was able to fill in admirably.

Sanchez looked to me like he will be the real deal.  Not sure he does anything great, but does a lot of things good.. A lot like Pointer in that regards, but Orlando has a superior offensive game in comparison.

Pointer was great in the 2nd half after being invisible in the first.

Sampson was solid.

My friend,, who knows a thing or two about college basketball, told me he really likes what he saw in Sanchez.  Believes we should be competing for the BE championship, based on talent.

Personally, I thought ST.Johns played very good with the exception of 10 minutes, late 1st half, beginning of second.  3/4 of game was well played.  Wagner was feisty and did hit some ridiculous circus shots.

Call me crazy ( or any other names you feel like), I still think this team is going to be very good when all is said and done.  Jordan needs to get comfortable out there, as he is clearly not yet.  It will come, and when it does, watch out.    When Jordan emerges it will also mean less Green, who is only effective in short spurts..

Jordan, Harrison, Pointer, Sanchez, Sampson is a very talented group.. When they put it all together, it will be a lot of fun..  Sure, there are things that aren't great..shooting, lapses on defense  but I think most college teams face similar problems in the beginning of a new season. 

Corrected link.  Agree Harrison is quicker and in great shape. The guy can flat out score and clearly has better stamina. Hopefully Jordan will round into form and complement D'Lo on the perimeter.  That may take a while, but Jordan will be fine. Sanchez is solid in the same way Brownlee was. He likes to shoot threes, but hopefully will do so selectively and proficiently. Branch was also better this time out, aggressively taking it to the hoop.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 11:57:47 PM by paultzman »

redslope

« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2013, 11:49:25 PM »
Agree with Dangelo comments based on what I saw in him tonight (he must be 10 to 15 pounds lighter).  I focused on him on the defensive end and was very impressed.

While our 3pt shooting leaves a us open to numerous derisive comments (justified) our free shooting was excellent tonight.  Our defense has adjusted to the new rules so far--4 fouls in second half and a 29 to 6 differential from the FT line which can help make up for the  negativity in 3pt shooting.

« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2013, 12:58:06 AM »
Wagner impressed me as a pretty good team with a couple of decent bigs (one being 6'11) a couple of pretty good wings, and a nice backcourt that can score. So it was a solid win for us with much better defense on the whole. So far Rysheed does not look like a one and doner which is actually good news for us as he should be around for at least 2 years. Agree with observations on Dlo-looks to be in much better shape, quicker, driving to basket more, better overall game and better attitude. Don't see him arguing with refs, smiling more in huddles, but did notice he started to get frustrated with some of his teammates when they didn't cut to the basket and his passes resulted in turnovers. He was right and his passes were the right and good play but hopefully he can keep everything positive because he can still be the leader of this team. It's always nice when your best player can be your leader.

Poison

« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2013, 01:42:16 AM »
My thoughts on the game. First, the overall effort, and then individual performances.

Overall, I thought we played a bit better. There were active hands on defense, I finally saw some rebounding and I thought the moral was strong. We are still not closing in on shooters, and we have not been able to hit our threes. I think that's mainly because we can't f'n shoot.

Harrison - He played great tonight. Best player on the court.

Sampson - He hit a couple of jumpers, but I liked that he went to the basket. I'd prefer if he didn't take many jumpers, and went to the basket almost every time. That's when he's at his best.

Branch - played much better. Passed the ball, but I've noticed that his passes are often too low for bigger guys. He had Gift open for a dunk, and the pass was on target, but too low for Gift to handle. Instead of a dunk, he got fouled. If Branch hits him w a higher pass, he gets an assist. He finished w one assist tonight.

Greene - Not bad. Not good either. Played average defense.  I recall one play in the first half, when we were on d. Greene slapped the floor as if to show us that he was ready to play d, then Rivers blew by him and drew the foul.

Pointer - played well. No j tonight, but against Wagner he went to basket.

Sanchez - I want to see him post up a defender. We're gonna need it.

Jordan - lousy game all around. He he was frustrated and started forcing shots

Obekpa - I'm disappointed that he hasn't improved so far. It's early, but that jump hook was awful. I don't know who taught him that, but last year, I was hoping for an Emeka Okafor type of career.

Gift - he played limited minutes, but he was fine.

Hooper - played 15 seconds and he didn't hit 6 threes, so he's well off his pace from the summer.

Bourgault - not a second of PT.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 02:16:27 AM by Poison »

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!