Monmouth Game Discussion

• 127 replies

Foad

Re: Monmouth Game Discussion
« Reply #120 on: November 23, 2013, 09:50:54 AM »
What's wrong with holding player's accountable for their actions?  No player is bigger than the program.  I thought we all learned that when Jarvis was here.

The problem is that every year Lavin butts heads with one of his players and publicly airs his grievances: Evans, Lindsey, Harrison, Jordan. Two is a coincidence. That's a pattern. I go back a long time and other than Curtis Redding don't recall anything like it. Certainly the advent of the 24 hour news cycle has something to do with it - and in the old days Lou especially had the media in hispocket - but it might reveal something a little more sinister: some people purposefully create chaos in their lives as a way of avoiding responsibility. It could be that Lavin, having flamed out spectacularly at UCLA, is consciously or unconsciously creating excuses should he fail here. It worked last year with Harrison.

That said, everyone seems to be over reacting a little bit. Coddled freshman misses class, coddled freshman gets suspended. The puppy pisses on the carpet you don't drown it in the well, you swat it with a newspaper. Certainly he's not going to transfer and sit out a year. If this is serious, and its not, maybe he goes to Europe or maybe he declares for the draft. But I suspect he's back sooner rather than later, because TGAPL needs to have a good year and for that he needs a PG.

« Reply #121 on: November 23, 2013, 09:52:53 AM »
Lindsey is the only player that I would say "quit."  A couple have transferred.  That is not unusual for any program.  Minor suspensions are also not unusual---if a coach is willing to hold his players accountable.  Dlo's situation was a bit more serious.  Unfortunately, it cost us a chance at an NCAA bid but from what I can tell, the player was to blame.  Not the coach.

boo3

« Reply #122 on: November 23, 2013, 10:00:14 AM »
 I'm with Foad, specifically the last paragraph..

These players know the rules..  If they break them, they know the consequences. It's pretty simple stuff.

MCNPA

« Reply #123 on: November 23, 2013, 10:14:10 AM »
Sounds to me like it's a grades thing or he wasn't going to class.  Just a guess, but seems like it from Lavin's quotes.

Tiznow

« Reply #124 on: November 23, 2013, 10:18:46 AM »
What's wrong with holding player's accountable for their actions?  No player is bigger than the program.  I thought we all learned that when Jarvis was here.

The problem is that every year Lavin butts heads with one of his players and publicly airs his grievances: Evans, Lindsey, Harrison, Jordan. Two is a coincidence. That's a pattern. I go back a long time and other than Curtis Redding don't recall anything like it. Certainly the advent of the 24 hour news cycle has something to do with it - and in the old days Lou especially had the media in hispocket - but it might reveal something a little more sinister: some people purposefully create chaos in their lives as a way of avoiding responsibility. It could be that Lavin, having flamed out spectacularly at UCLA, is consciously or unconsciously creating excuses should he fail here. It worked last year with Harrison.

That said, everyone seems to be over reacting a little bit. Coddled freshman misses class, coddled freshman gets suspended. The puppy pisses on the carpet you don't drown it in the well, you swat it with a newspaper. Certainly he's not going to transfer and sit out a year. If this is serious, and its not, maybe he goes to Europe or maybe he declares for the draft. But I suspect he's back sooner rather than later, because TGAPL needs to have a good year and for that he needs a PG.

I think it's the worship of John Wooden at play with all the suspensions.  I'd rather Lavin imitate Wooden in the won and loss column.  It would be a surprise if the freshmen is not on the court next week.       

« Reply #125 on: November 23, 2013, 10:52:12 AM »
Was at last night's game and was very frustrated with our AAU like approach...thought is was a pathetic performance...They sucked and it is up to Lavin to straighten it out...I am hopeful that they will and plan to be back out there on Tuesday

That said...calling it what it is and reveling in it are two different things...There are some opportunists on this board who seem to like when we struggle...Some, in particular, seem to only come out at these times, throw out numerous inane, wiseass remarks and then disappear until the next opportunity presents itself...

I guess they are either looking to be acknowledged as clever or just trying to inflame.

ras

« Reply #126 on: November 23, 2013, 11:08:34 AM »
Dissapointed. LAvin was tinkering w the lineup. Would rather learn something from the game,than have a 20 point blowout,although not sure what Lavin learned. Hooper had his shot and didn't look good. I think the guards only had one total assist. Sanchez could have put up more points,but I believe had 6 assists. I'm getting tired of all these suspensions.  Greene  looked good again.

redslope

« Reply #127 on: November 23, 2013, 02:43:38 PM »
a win is a win a win despite being so UGLY.  at end of year it is W's and L's that determine postseason placement.  I am getting older and these kind of games are not heart healthy--I need a laugher on Tuesday so I can sit back and relax