Monmouth Game Discussion

• 127 replies

MCNPA

Re: Monmouth Game Discussion
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2013, 11:05:39 PM »
Yeah I am sure we will look much better against Creighton and Georgetown ::)

You mean the Creighton that barely beat St Joes?  Or the Georgetown that lost to Northeastern?  My point being that everybody has bad games.  We haven't played our best today.  Georgetown bounced back well after a loss to crappy Northeastern aka Monmouth to destroy Big 12 member K-State... 

I don't care how we win this one, as long as we do so.  Only SJU fans pick our poorest ply as comparison to what other teams have done.

Georgetown scored 90 today. Would take quadruple OT for us to get to 90. We can't score and playing close games against bad teams is one thing, but our rebounding and free throw shooting is going to kill us

Georgetown scored 56 vs Northeastern. What's your point?  We are actually top 4 in the Big East in FT shooting.  Again, you make absurd assessments after only one game...

« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2013, 11:09:02 PM »
Just putting this out there, but Branch has really been disappointing (understatement)  I was hoping for more, but he has zero offense.  Not sure I've seen a guard with less offense.  Every once in a while he will have a huge game and surprise me but, he really makes it hard to justify his time.  Phil Greene at least going after it and taking and now making shots. 

Yeah its early but it looks like he has barely developed. Hopefully he turns it around

I'm done with that.  Rysheed should be playing 38 minutes today, but not sure what he did to earn himself no time.  Rysheed is our PG if we are going anywhere.  We need to Justin this game and move on, but we haven't figured it all out just yet for sure.  Win and  move on.

I'm not willing to abandon Jamal but agree that Rysheed should be given the keys, Jamal might be better suited as a backup

« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2013, 11:11:52 PM »

You mean the Creighton that barely beat St Joes?  Or the Georgetown that lost to Northeastern?  My point being that everybody has bad games.  We haven't played our best today.  Georgetown bounced back well after a loss to crappy Northeastern aka Monmouth to destroy Big 12 member K-State... 

I don't care how we win this one, as long as we do so.  Only SJU fans pick our poorest ply as comparison to what other teams have done.

Georgetown scored 90 today. Would take quadruple OT for us to get to 90. We can't score and playing close games against bad teams is one thing, but our rebounding and free throw shooting is going to kill us

Georgetown scored 56 vs Northeastern. What's your point?  We are actually top 4 in the Big East in FT shooting.  Again, you make absurd assessments after only one game...

We might not score 80 in a game all year

« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2013, 11:12:20 PM »

Georgetown also only scored 56 points in a game against a team (NorthEastern) that has allowed 70+ points in every game they have played except one where they allowed 69....Things happen. Teams explode sometimes. We will too.

MCNPA

« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2013, 11:13:22 PM »
Just putting this out there, but Branch has really been disappointing (understatement)  I was hoping for more, but he has zero offense.  Not sure I've seen a guard with less offense.  Every once in a while he will have a huge game and surprise me but, he really makes it hard to justify his time.  Phil Greene at least going after it and taking and now making shots. 

Yeah its early but it looks like he has barely developed. Hopefully he turns it around

I'm done with that.  Rysheed should be playing 38 minutes today, but not sure what he did to earn himself no time.  Rysheed is our PG if we are going anywhere.  We need to Justin this game and move on, but we haven't figured it all out just yet for sure.  Win and  move on.

I'm not willing to abandon Jamal but agree that Rysheed should be given the keys, Jamal might be better suited as a backup

I just read that Jordan was suspended tonight for a violation of team rules.  Wtf is up with all these fools?   Follow the rules.  Wake up, practice, make believe to go to school be on time.  It's easy, yet so difficult for some reason...

« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2013, 11:13:35 PM »
I am not even saying we won't win 20 games and I predicted we would struggle this game. Our offense is tough to watch though.

« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2013, 11:15:24 PM »
Obekpa player of the game. Phil Greene close second. Dlo showed up late, he gets 3rd.

MCNPA

« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2013, 11:15:38 PM »

We averaged in the 70's in two games thus far.  Not sure what your agenda is except to be negative.  It's a win, even though we didnt play well...

« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2013, 11:16:14 PM »
Just win baby, on to the next

« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2013, 11:17:23 PM »

We averaged in the 70's in two games thus far.  Not sure what your agenda is except to be negative.  It's a win, even though we didnt play well...

My agenda is our offense stinks
Glad we won, but tough to watch

« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2013, 11:20:33 PM »
It is a disturbing trend again that they cannot put away teams that have no business being close late.

They won and I'll take it.  But right now the it is a good thing the NCAA Tourney is almost 4 months away.  Because that is how far away it feels that SJU is from being a consistently good team.

Do I expect this team to play this way against better competition?  No.  But I am not brimming with confidence that they will.

« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2013, 11:21:58 PM »
Ugly win.  And that is all we take from this one.  I thought we played poorly all around - defense, offense, rebounding, dumb plays, bad decisions.  But it is a W and we can't afford to drop any of these OOC games like other teams have been doing.  Again, while in years past I thought we would lose a game like this (and we sometimes did), at no point did I think we were going to drop this one.

« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2013, 11:23:33 PM »
I am not even saying we won't win 20 games and I predicted we would struggle this game. Our offense is tough to watch though.
this offense is brutal we don't have a guard who can penetrate and pee wee herman can penetrate against our defense. we still so not move our feet on defense, always the reach or go for the pump fake and hope someone will block a shot.

it seems when we do make that extra pass they make the shot between Sampson, Harrison and Greene.

paultzman

« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2013, 11:23:46 PM »
It is a disturbing trend again that they cannot put away teams that have no business being close late.

They won and I'll take it.  But right now the it is a good thing the NCAA Tourney is almost 4 months away.  Because that is how far away it feels that SJU is from being a consistently good team.

Do I expect this team to play this way against better competition?  No.  But I am not brimming with confidence that they will.

Fair assessment Fordham!

« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2013, 11:27:23 PM »
Think of this way. Greene played great. Harrison had foul trouble and a sprained ankle but played well late and Sampson was fine and the offense still looked brutal.
You(Lavin) keep comparing him to HOF point guards, well as long as he didn't kill anyone give Jordan the ball next game because not having a point guard is killing us.

« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2013, 11:30:13 PM »
this offense is brutal we don't have a guard who can penetrate and pee wee herman can penetrate against our defense. we still so not move our feet on defense, always the reach or go for the pump fake and hope someone will block a shot.

it seems when we do make that extra pass they make the shot between Sampson, Harrison and Greene.

Rysheed needs to be that guy who can penetrate. I'm confident he will be

MCNPA

« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2013, 11:45:01 PM »
Think of this way. Greene played great. Harrison had foul trouble and a sprained ankle but played well late and Sampson was fine and the offense still looked brutal.
You(Lavin) keep comparing him to HOF point guards, well as long as he didn't kill anyone give Jordan the ball next game because not having a point guard is killing us.

I don't disagree... Have you seen my posts?  Branch is awful.  He is not able to get our offense moving.  We needed Rysheed and he was suspended.  We need him to start getting a fire under his ass and playing ball.  He's a tremendous guard.  Now he gets suspended for some violation.  It stunts his growth when he doesn't get minutes.  Rysheed needs to step up and take a PG spot that clearly has been paved for him.  Our PG play was one of our biggest problems tonight.  We were lucky to pull it out against a crap team...

paultzman

« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2013, 11:47:42 PM »

I don't disagree... Have you seen my posts?  Branch is awful.  He is not able to get our offense moving.  We needed Rysheed and he was suspended.  We need him to start getting a fire under his ass and playing ball.  He's a tremendous guard.  Now he gets suspended for some violation.  It stunts his growth when he doesn't get minutes.  Rysheed needs to step up and take a PG spot that clearly has been paved for him.  Our PG play was one of our biggest problems tonight.  We were lucky to pull it out against a crap team...

Biggest issue to me is how happy Rysheed is here?  Agree we have a glaring need for a penetrating, talented PG. Hope it is him.

desco80

« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2013, 11:51:55 PM »
Tough to watch, but as everyone is point out: it's better to win ugly than to lose.  And I think it's true that there's a different feeling in these games compared to years past: I never felt like we would lose tonight.   

A couple of quick observations
- The blocked shots are great, but something is seriously wrong with our defensive positioning.  Whether we are in man or zone, guys are getting to the basket far too easily.  Our strategy can't be to block everything from behind.   That won't work when we play Big East teams that are more athletic.   

- Sanchez might be a wing player after this season, in his pro career overseas.  But for us, he's a post-player.  I can live with the occasional 3, but he's hoisting up too many right now, and he's a liability bringing the ball up as often as he does.   I know it helps us push the tempo when our rebounder can take the ball and run, but he's making some ill-advised decisions on the break.   After the rebound he's got to simply give an outlet pass to one of the guards. 

- Pointer and Branch need to be given a green light to shoot.   They play big minutes, they handle the ball, and defenses sag off of them.   They're passing up both wide open looks and the opportunity to take their man off the dribble.   
It's fine that the offense runs through Harrison and Sampson, but the other guys still have to be more aggressive.  If they have space - take the shot or drive to the rim.   

- Neither here nor there, but coach should go back to wearing a suit.   Being compared to Bob Huggins is almost never a good thing. 

desco80

« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2013, 11:53:43 PM »

Biggest issue to me is how happy Rysheed is here?  Agree we have a glaring need for a penetrating, talented PG. Hope it is him.

I don't like the sound of that.   Is this just a gut feeling Paultz, or have you heard something?