Monmouth Game Discussion

• 127 replies
Re: Monmouth Game Discussion
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2013, 11:53:57 PM »
Think of this way. Greene played great. Harrison had foul trouble and a sprained ankle but played well late and Sampson was fine and the offense still looked brutal.
You(Lavin) keep comparing him to HOF point guards, well as long as he didn't kill anyone give Jordan the ball next game because not having a point guard is killing us.

I don't disagree... Have you seen my posts?  Branch is awful.  He is not able to get our offense moving.  We needed Rysheed and he was suspended.  We need him to start getting a fire under his ass and playing ball.  He's a tremendous guard.  Now he gets suspended for some violation.  It stunts his growth when he doesn't get minutes.  Rysheed needs to step up and take a PG spot that clearly has been paved for him.  Our PG play was one of our biggest problems tonight.  We were lucky to pull it out against a crap team...

Biggest issue to me is how happy Rysheed is here?  Agree we have a glaring need for a penetrating, talented PG. Hope it is him.

Yeah, not exactly off to the best start. Again if you are going to compare him to HOF's I would think you would give him more rope. Not talking the suspension but once he struggled, minutes took a hit. This has not started well.

paultzman

« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2013, 11:55:20 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Lavin won't say if Rysheed Jordan will play Tuesday. "If he takes care of his team responsibilities, he'll be back with the team." #sjubb

« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2013, 11:59:41 PM »
Think of this way. Greene played great. Harrison had foul trouble and a sprained ankle but played well late and Sampson was fine and the offense still looked brutal.
You(Lavin) keep comparing him to HOF point guards, well as long as he didn't kill anyone give Jordan the ball next game because not having a point guard is killing us.

I don't disagree... Have you seen my posts?  Branch is awful.  He is not able to get our offense moving.  We needed Rysheed and he was suspended.  We need him to start getting a fire under his ass and playing ball.  He's a tremendous guard.  Now he gets suspended for some violation.  It stunts his growth when he doesn't get minutes.  Rysheed needs to step up and take a PG spot that clearly has been paved for him.  Our PG play was one of our biggest problems tonight.  We were lucky to pull it out against a crap team...

I like MCNPA. As much as I disagree with his incredible homerism he doesn't take anything personally and moves on.
I am worried about the Jordan situation and from my extreme outside perspective do not think Lavin his handling it well. Jordan could be Aaron Hernandez for all I know, but again from the outside this is starting off real poorly.

« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2013, 12:02:12 AM »
NIT

paultzman

« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2013, 12:03:45 AM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Lavin said Jordan is not practicing with team right now. #sjubb

@QSJUHoops: Lavin describes Jordan's transgression as "basic" and "not severe." But if he doesn't take care of business, the consequences will continue.

MCNPA

« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2013, 12:04:22 AM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Lavin won't say if Rysheed Jordan will play Tuesday. "If he takes care of his team responsibilities, he'll be back with the team." #sjubb

Unfortunate to see this stuff with Rysheed.  Hope he gets this stuff under control and fast..

paultzman

« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2013, 12:06:19 AM »
F'n soap opera!

@NYPost_Brazille: Lavin now backs off that Jordan isn't practicing with team. But said Jordan didn't practice Thursday.

@QSJUHoops: Never seen Lavin so careful with his words as he has been here about Jordan. Team not budging to disclose much information.

@QSJUHoops: Jordan missed practice yesterday, and Lavin didn't make decision to suspend him until he arrived on campus this afternoon. #sjubb
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 12:08:07 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2013, 12:07:17 AM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Lavin said Jordan is not practicing with team right now. #sjubb

@QSJUHoops: Lavin describes Jordan's transgression as "basic" and "not severe." But if he doesn't take care of business, the consequences will continue.

Someone say "Severe"?

paultzman

« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2013, 12:09:14 AM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Asked Lavin if he expects Jordan will be part of program moving forward, and said "absolutely." #sjubb

« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2013, 12:12:15 AM »
Masiello updating his resume as we speak

MCNPA

« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2013, 12:13:57 AM »

I like MCNPA. As much as I disagree with his incredible homerism he doesn't take anything personally and moves on.
I am worried about the Jordan situation and from my extreme outside perspective do not think Lavin his handling it well. Jordan could be Aaron Hernandez for all I know, but again from the outside this is starting off real poorly.

You have to understand my "homerism".   I'm a SJU grad and fan for life.  It's an affliction that I will never escape, for good nor for bad.  My father went to SJU, I went to SJU, my sister went to SJU etc.  It's in my blood.  I can't just pick and choose.  You have to understand that lots of SJU "fans" don't have any vested interest.  I do.  I'm just trying to stay positive and be a fan.   Love SJU, my days there and the teams.  I don't always love the way things are going,  but it's the way it's going to be.

Fwiw we are SJU, I'd live for you and others with "misconceptions" about what some of us might be like in real life, to show up to some big games at MSG this year for pre-game.  Would love to see some of the handles in real life and I think you'd be surprised.

« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2013, 12:14:20 AM »
Ugly win but I will take it.  Just got to win these early ones.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Poison

« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2013, 12:31:48 AM »
Lavin doesn't have to tell us what happened. Try deductive reasoning.

Bucknell game, early in the second half, Jordan turns the ball over, and Lavin yanks him. Jordan didn't return. What is it the right move? IDK, but Lavin is the coach. My guess is that Jordan was pissed and has been acting out in practice. Maybe he dogged it on Wednesday? Maybe he had words w coach.

Lavin said that Jordan will be held accountable for his actions. Lavin is making a statement yet again. He wants everyone to know that he's in charge. He decides who starts, who plays, when and for how long.

The inmates will not be running the asylum.

We saw how that approach worked out with Brian Mahoney.

« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2013, 12:32:55 AM »
Who recruits these asshats?

« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2013, 12:36:14 AM »

Damn they can't fool you can they.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2013, 12:38:31 AM »
The game could of been hairy if Monmouth hit that three and cut it to two during the last 5mins of the game or hit their free throws but they didn't. This is the fort game that SJU shot really bad from the line.

Being Optimistic:
Harrison struggled again and somebody picked up the slack.
This game never had a panic feeling to it like so many other games.
PG4 has looked like he made some really big strides and if Harrison and Sampson are strong that will be three great options for the team.

Pessimistic:
Hooper got his shot and did not take advantage of it and it looks like the team still does not have a legitimate 3point threat
Why did Monmouth go to the the line twice as much as SJU...terrible..
Block shots are great but rebounds are better...
It would be nice to win easy but a win is a win..
It seems SJU always has some player issues going on. It will be nice to see that Lavin can have players not leave the team early,except for the draft. Probably too early for this discussion but two players already being suspended is not good.

Overall:
Lavin played with his line up for the first half and SJU was still in control. This is not a good game to base anything off of because of no Jordan and the tinkering with the line up...this season has been weird overall with GT losing Colombia had a legit are shot at beating Michigan State until they chocked it away, and cuse almost lost as well. Bottom line is if we can make to the BE season without losing to teams we shouldn't lose too (pretty much Cuse) then that is huge moving forward.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2013, 12:39:08 AM »

Damn they can't fool you can they.

CBI tickets go on sale soon

Poison

« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2013, 12:47:55 AM »
The only positive, I have to say is Phil. He wasn't running the offense, but his jumper was on. That's back to back bail outs. Credit where it's due.

I was really disappointed with Sanchez, Pointer and Hooper. I expected Hooper to fill a big void for us, and now I'm wondering if Bourgault shouldn't get his minutes on Tuesday? If your shot isn't falling, do something else. Rebound, set a pick. All he does is chuck, open or not.

« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2013, 12:51:25 AM »
For the same reason a lot of people thought Harrison wouldn't leave last year, I really doubt Jordan would leave this year. I'm sure the kid has plans of playing pro next year (however realistic they may be) and having to sit out a full season effectively cancels those plans.

That being said, based on the very little that we know (Jordan being yanked last game, not playing today) It kind of does seem like Lavs is being a little bit harsh on a first year player. I mean suspend him for a half or something. I would imagine this his first infraction (though we have no idea). I trust his judgement in genera, but this just seems a bit overboard to me.

MCNPA

« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2013, 12:53:39 AM »
For the same reason a lot of people thought Harrison wouldn't leave last year, I really doubt Jordan would leave this year. I'm sure the kid has plans of playing pro next year (however realistic they may be) and having to sit out a full season effectively cancels those plans.

That being said, based on the very little that we know (Jordan being yanked last game, not playing today) It kind of does seem like Lavs is being a little bit harsh on a first year player. I mean suspend him for a half or something. I would imagine this his first infraction (though we have no idea). I trust his judgement in genera, but this just seems a bit overboard to me.

You trust his judgement, yet it seems overboard.... WTF does that mean?