« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2013, 08:21:52 PM »
 Great news

paultzman

Re: Jordan Suspension
« Reply #103 on: November 25, 2013, 08:37:19 PM »

jr49

« Reply #104 on: November 25, 2013, 09:27:10 PM »
If he gets credit for the recruits, he should take a hit if they don't work out.

Yes, but you ignore the situation inherited, the risks that had to be taken and arduous process necessary to rebuild a program that was down for 10 years...Not saying he has forever to accomplish it but you give the impression that we should be challenging for a national title already...not sure who you wanted to take the reigns or who you would want to take the reigns and don't disagree with all of your assertions - but you seem to revel in it

I think the point that WSJ is making and one I agree w is that over time if the different players keep getting suspended by coach, the coach likely the problem, and he should be removed. That much I agree with.

So far, he gets a "A" for coaching. A "C" for recruiting, and a "D" for process.

C for recruiting? LOL

When someone provides the facts behind suspensions and whether they were team or school in fractions I guess a determination as to their merit can be made. Until then all speculation and a lot of grenade lobbing by folks who seem to enjoy it.

My point is the results both on the court and style of play do not justify all of the other stuff that always seems to be going on. Lavin keeps getting all the credit for recruiting, but when things go bad it is always the kids fault? Eventually people are going to see the common denominator here right?
I always felt coach looked out for the kids and they liked playing for him. What players since he's been at SJU  have complained? Who has transfered out thats had a notable season playing for another school or complained about coach Lavin? When you mention all the other stuff thats been going on, what pattern of behavior by the coach are you referring to?

« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2013, 09:39:26 PM »
See I am easy, his job should now be safe even w/o tourney bid :)

MCNPA

« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2013, 11:28:51 PM »
I think Lavin might be the most overated coach in college. With that being said he gets all the credit for the NCAA team IMO. He correctly identified the two best players on that team as Hardy and Brownlee. I mam pretty sure Norm would not have done that so who knows how that team would have done.

Who overrates him though?  Not our fans... It seems that most people malign him.  In fact, he probably catches more grief as a coach than anybody with a similarly successful record. 

How do you figure anybody out there is overrating him, when pretty much the heyday of SJU is based upon us making one Final 4 in 1985?? 

Lavin did a lot with those ucla teams.  Lots more than decades of sju tems, and thus far has done a fair job rebuilding.   No doubt we still have some things to figure out, but I think we can still win the Big East this season, which would put us in pretty competitive position.

« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2013, 12:18:45 AM »
I think Lavin might be the most overated coach in college. With that being said he gets all the credit for the NCAA team IMO. He correctly identified the two best players on that team as Hardy and Brownlee. I mam pretty sure Norm would not have done that so who knows how that team would have done.

Who overrates him though?  Not our fans... It seems that most people malign him.  In fact, he probably catches more grief as a coach than anybody with a similarly successful record. 

How do you figure anybody out there is overrating him, when pretty much the heyday of SJU is based upon us making one Final 4 in 1985?? 

Lavin did a lot with those ucla teams.  Lots more than decades of sju tems, and thus far has done a fair job rebuilding.   No doubt we still have some things to figure out, but I think we can still win the Big East this season, which would put us in pretty competitive position.

Being overrated doesn't necessarily mean he is bad. Everything taken into a/c he is a decent coach. I think UCLA fans were pretty dissatisfied with him and I don't think he has done a great job here. Might be the most famous coach to never make a final four.
Again the funny thing about this is if he stays here another 6 years and gets knocked out in 1st round of NCAA 5 of those years he will be my 2nd favorite SJU coach, while others will be disappointed.

SJUFAN

« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2013, 01:56:32 AM »

Being overrated doesn't necessarily mean he is bad. Everything taken into a/c he is a decent coach. I think UCLA fans were pretty dissatisfied with him and I don't think he has done a great job here. Might be the most famous coach to never make a final four.
Again the funny thing about this is if he stays here another 6 years and gets knocked out in 1st round of NCAA 5 of those years he will be my 2nd favorite SJU coach, while others will be disappointed.

I think the problem with our fans is they have unrealistic expectations. Lavin has had only 3 recruiting classes and has brought in more talent that our program has seen in a decade. Lets not forget he was out of coaching for 8 years and the fact he was able to bring in the players he did was nothing short of remarkable. He made the program relevant. Now just because the players he brought in were highly ranked doesn't mean they don't have there flaws. They can't shoot. That's why Jordan's development is important to our success. We need that perimeter triple threat guard to play along side D'lo and it will open up the floor for our athletes.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 01:58:38 AM by SJUFAN »

Foad

« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2013, 06:07:42 AM »
To be completely fair though, the regular season in 2010 was more of an achievement than the final record suggests.   The previous two seasons that team had been 1-13 against ranked competition; they beat 6 ranked teams in the 2010 season alone, including 3 top 10 teams.   I know this isn't news to you, but some context was appropriate.   That doesn't change the fact that the 2010 team probably would've made the tournament in Norm was at the helm though, I don't disagree with you in that regard. 

All I'm saying is that giving Lavin an A++++++++++++ as a coach because he led a team with 9 guys who went on to play professional basketball to a first round NCAA loss is grading on a curve. I'm not giving Norm credit for the results and I'm not taking away credit due Lavin. It just wasn't all that "amazing."

Lavin is a definite A++++ compared to Norm and probably an A++++ compared to the alternatives. Nothing he's done is amazing, unless it's in comparison to what preceded him. If you live on a diet of feces and suddenly are offered a piece of rotten meat it might taste amazing, but that doesn't make it haute cuisine. Lavin's recruiting has been above average and his on the floor results have been average. Anyone can lose more games than they win. I'm not amazed. I'm not even enthralled any more. If he's going to amaze me I want him to hurry and do it. I'm 80 years old. I want to win now.

80?   
Humor me...
 You write with too much sarcasm to be a member of the 'Greatest Generation'.   Based on anecdotal evidence of your eclectic tastes, and balancing that with an appreciation of history (no one born after '70 knows a thing about history) I would say born late 50s , child of the 60s, but came of age in the 70s.    And partly based on your era's experiences with watergate and Vietnam there seems to be a common distrust in authority, and even more so a disbelief in the effectiveness of institutions - hence your libertarian streak.
Final answer: 54

How far off ?

You're close enough on the age, the rest of it not so much. I'm certainly not a child of the 60s, unless hippies believe that man is the most vile and pernicious species of vermin that god has suffered to crawl across the face of the earth and life is a dung heap. I don't remember Vietnam at all and to the extent that I recall Watergate was rooting for Nixon. To the extent that I'm political - I've never voted - my views are informed by misanthropy, not the other way around. And I don't distrust institutions, I have contempt for them: the greater the number of people who believe something, the more likely it is to be a lie.

« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2013, 12:25:51 PM »

I think the problem with our fans is they have unrealistic expectations. Lavin has had only 3 recruiting classes and has brought in more talent that our program has seen in a decade. Lets not forget he was out of coaching for 8 years and the fact he was able to bring in the players he did was nothing short of remarkable. He made the program relevant. Now just because the players he brought in were highly ranked doesn't mean they don't have there flaws. They can't shoot. That's why Jordan's development is important to our success. We need that perimeter triple threat guard to play along side D'lo and it will open up the floor for our athletes.

There is no problem with our fans that a consistent winning team wouldn't cure.  I think most believe that it's a possibility but certainly, given our performance, it's far from an expectation.  Right now I'm struggling with the decision whether to take a long ride in lousy weather to see whether our prized rookie will be back in the lineup.  Lavin choses to let information leak through the media rather than leveling with the fans.  Sounds like reasonable justification to curl up in front of the TV rather than traveling a long time to be disappointed. Wake me if and when sanity returns to Queens.

Foad

« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2013, 12:42:45 PM »
  Lavin choses to let information leak through the media rather than leveling with the fans.

You must be out of the loop, he texted me directly

« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2013, 01:26:40 PM »

Lavin choses to let information leak through the media rather than leveling with the fans.

You must be out of the loop, he texted me directly

MCNPA not going to like that

boo3

« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2013, 01:51:53 PM »

There is no problem with our fans that a consistent winning team wouldn't cure.  I think most believe that it's a possibility but certainly, given our performance, it's far from an expectation.  Right now I'm struggling with the decision whether to take a long ride in lousy weather to see whether our prized rookie will be back in the lineup.  Lavin choses to let information leak through the media rather than leveling with the fans.  Sounds like reasonable justification to curl up in front of the TV rather than traveling a long time to be disappointed. Wake me if and when sanity returns to Queens.

Jordan is playing

paultzman

« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2013, 01:55:53 PM »
@StJohnsBBall: #SJUBB's Rysheed Jordan Reinstated For Tuesday's Contest Vs. Longwood; Will be in uniform tonight: http://t.co/U9mVNT4Zng

« Reply #115 on: November 26, 2013, 04:09:40 PM »
Really hoping we see him in the starting lineup.

The more success he has here, the better our recruiting results will be in the future.

MCNPA

« Reply #116 on: November 26, 2013, 04:33:18 PM »
Really hoping we see him in the starting lineup.

The more success he has here, the better our recruiting results will be in the future.

He's coming off suspension.  He probably won't and shouldn't start.  He needs PT though and to earn back starting pg spot which is obviously up for grabs.  Need a dynamic Jordan this season.

paultzman

« Reply #118 on: November 26, 2013, 09:37:07 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Lavin on Jordan: "Just happy he's back on the team. He handled the suspension with maturity." #sjubb

« Reply #119 on: November 27, 2013, 01:14:29 AM »
vile and pernicious

I may be VILE AND PERNICIOUS
 But you can't look away
 I make you think I'm delicious
 With the stuff that I say
 I am the best you can get
 Have you guessed me yet?
 I am the slime oozin' out
 From your TV set

- FZ