Rating Coach

• 104 replies

TONYD3

Rating Coach
« on: November 24, 2013, 11:52:11 AM »
I give him a C, think that is very generous. Grade can go up. But if we don't make the tournament think it is definitely an F.

Re: Rating Coach
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 11:53:45 AM »
I'm 25. I really only remember the bad days of SJU Bball. I gave him a B. I think a lot of the guys who remember the goods of SJU Bball will be less generous.

TONYD3

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 11:56:07 AM »
I am 35, remember Malik sealy. Started really watching early 90's

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 12:07:01 PM »
Can't rate until end of season.
If Jordan comes back and we make tourney he gets a B
If Jordan doesn't come back and we make tourney B-
If Jordan comes back and we don't make tourney C+
No Jordan, no NCAA-F

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 12:18:13 PM »
Why aren't we including pre DJ? And for what it worth I've been as hard on lavins in game coaching as anyone.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

hnk

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 12:40:03 PM »
Incomplete.

let's see how the season goes...do we improve as the year goes on?  Are we always competitive?  What are the results?  Do we get some recruits or commitments for next year?

So far, I am more than satisfied...although we are not off to a fantastic start this season....but that may or not matter.

TONYD3

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 01:32:56 PM »
Why aren't we including pre DJ? And for what it worth I've been as hard on lavins in game coaching as anyone.
I started the poll. If you would have asked me 5 minutes before dj got hurt I would have rated him an A. Not saying this is the fairest way to evaluate coach. I am interested in what others thought

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 01:42:06 PM »
Way too difficult to gauge. If Lavin decides to leave the program tomorrow, I would be more than ready to give him an F. If the season plays out and we make the tournament and go on a run, doesn't he deserve a B+/A? What if we sign 2 guys for 14 and somehow nab Briscoe and Diallo in 15 as suggested by some? Lavin is trying to turn a program that was in the dirt into a consistent winner. We may be in the early, early birthing stage of a consistent winner or in the middle of a Norm Roberts era team with a coach who's a bit more flashy and catches the headlines. We just can't tell yet.

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 01:42:47 PM »
I started the poll. If you would have asked me 5 minutes before dj got hurt I would have rated him an A. Not saying this is the fairest way to evaluate coach. I am interested in what others thought

Gotchya. Just a question.

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 02:03:06 PM »
17 votes 2.35 GPA
Correction 2.41 GPA
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 02:13:17 PM by 96 Schermerhorn Street »

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 02:06:45 PM »
Well for the record, I think that D and F are completely off base. At least given the circumstances

boo3

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
 If you are going to be nice personic enough to give an F, at least put your name on it..

I gave a C

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 02:22:41 PM »
I believe he's 22-20 in games he's coached during that stretch. I gave him a C

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 02:47:07 PM »
After 23 votes 2,43 GPA

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 02:57:01 PM »
I gave him a C based on W-L record but it is like taking the test paper away when he's only gone through half the questions and marking all the unanswered questions incorrect.  Let him finish, then give him a grade.

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 03:02:16 PM »
I gave coach a B since you need talent to win anywhere, and the talent level is as high as it has been in many moons.   I expect Rysheed to get past whatever currently conflicts him (wishful thinking), and the guys to push towards a tourney berth or a bubble miss at worst. 

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 06:06:11 PM »
I gave him a B. Despite all the wacky shanigans and weird circumstances the teams is where they are supposed to be, which is ready to make the NCAA tournament and go on a little run.

Is anybody suprised that were 3-1 (regardless how they looked)? This is what was to be expected.

Since he brought in his guys they have improved every year. They had losing record their frosh year, made the NIT last year and should make the tournament this year.

If they don't then SJU and the league are in serious trouble.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 06:16:20 PM »
I gave him a B. Despite all the wacky shanigans and weird circumstances the teams is where they are supposed to be, which is ready to make the NCAA tournament and go on a little run.

Is anybody suprised that were 3-1 (regardless how they looked)? This is what was to be expected.

Since he brought in his guys they have improved every year. They had losing record their frosh year, made the NIT last year and should make the tournament this year.

If they don't then SJU and the league are in serious trouble.

All excellent points!

TONYD3

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 06:17:27 PM »
Agree excellent points.

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 08:08:57 PM »
Can't give him an A because of the finish to last season. But I think it's close. Some of you buy in to the nonsense that's spewed on this board about Lavin underachieving, can't coach, recruits aren't as good as they should be, yadda yadda yadda. A lot of fan boards are full of pessimists who just like to stir the pot, but it sucks that so many fans here actually start buying into it after enough of it is posted.

Take a step back. Look at the big picture. We are looking good to land 2 blue chip top 20 recruits in 2015 in Diallo and Briscoe, And some say Lavin should be fired after this year and replaced with McKillop  ::) This already after netting Jordan (regardless of how the situation turns out, Lavin still got him), Harkless, and Jakarr just to name a few.

You're mad because we haven't made the tourney since Lavin's first year. I get it. But you have to look at circumstances. The first being cancer. That was a setback in the rebuilding process. Other than that, did you expect to win a lot of games after graduating 9 seniors? Sure, maybe optimists thought we might have a chance in the 2nd rebuilding year, but I think most levelheaded fans knew this program was going to need some serious rebuilding. I thought we'd win 20 games last season. We won 17, so of course it was a tad disappointing.

So here we are in the third season of Lavin's own recruits. We're 3-1. Let's let the season play out a bit, please?

Lavin is going nowhere (unless it's his decision) and for that we should thank our lucky stars. "You don't know whatcha got till it's gone." We lose Lavin, it's back to fighting over 2 star recruits with mid majors. But, some apparently long for those days.