Playing Up-Tempo Ball

• 84 replies

paultzman

Playing Up-Tempo Ball
« on: December 01, 2013, 05:56:54 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: St. John’s Rewind: Pressing, playing up-tempo ball will benefit Red Storm  http://t.co/3O4AW9DHkG #sjubb

boo3

Re: Playing Up-Tempo Ball
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 06:04:01 PM »
agree agree agree

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 10:41:51 PM »
need to convince  the head honcho, but its painfully obvious we need to play that way

boo3

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 10:57:41 PM »
 Seriously ... this needs to happen.. Lavin has to see it.

Reason I was so excited about this season ( like most, i'm sure) was I thought, with the collection of athletic wings and Jordan at the point , we would be a crazy, exciting team.  I envisioned the running and gunning.  Seemed almost too obvious..  I guess not.   Hopefully the stubborness, or whatever it is,  wears off, and we see what these kids, who we have heard so much about, can do...

If you are going to lose...lose playing the style you excel at.

paultzman

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 11:05:23 PM »

Reason I was so excited about this season ( like most, i'm sure) was I thought, with the collection of athletic wings and Jordan at the point , we would be a crazy, exciting team.  I envisioned the running and gunning.  Seemed almost too obvious..  I guess not.   Hopefully the stubborness, or whatever it is,  wears off, and we see what these kids, who we have heard so much about, can do...

Agree. Also recruits will find that style attractive.

MCNPA

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 11:26:32 PM »

Agree.  We don't need to play it 40 minutes per game though.  Press/ trap for 20 minutes per game is plenty.  Would cause havoc as well as confusion for teams.

Poison

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 11:32:31 PM »

Agree.  We don't need to play it 40 minutes per game though.  Press/ trap for 20 minutes per game is plenty.  Would cause havoc as well as confusion for teams.

We could play it for 35 minutes, and F around the remaining 5 minutes once we've built a 25 point lead.

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 11:38:27 PM »
Sir Dom and 3'lo will foul out in the first half.

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 11:39:05 PM »

Watching the team press late last season was the only time I felt they could hang with the big boys out there.  I really thought it would be a staple this season. 

I've seen some people say we can't press with Max, but I think this is wrong.  He's a smart kid, long, and think of the space he'll get on his shots in transition and secondary transition. 

MCNPA

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 11:43:30 PM »

Watching the team press late last season was the only time I felt they could hang with the big boys out there.  I really thought it would be a staple this season. 

I've seen some people say we can't press with Max, but I think this is wrong.  He's a smart kid, long, and think of the space he'll get on his shots in transition and secondary transition. 

Agree... Traps and steals could lead to easy open treys for max as well.  He hasn't hurt us on defense much if at all.  He's not a speed demon, but neither is most of Creighton, Butler etc...  Defense is more about positioning, otherwise Chris Mullin would never have been able to play in the NBA. 

pmg911

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 11:37:48 AM »
If you want to play a half court game, your point guard better be able to shoot.

We have two point guards who can get to the basket but have yet to prove they can shoot the ball consistently. Until they do that, teams are can pack it in against us still.

Its been the same problem for SJU for 10 years....

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 12:22:49 PM »
  I wish we could get the 2 years that Erick Barkley forfeited by going to the NBA.. What's he now? 35?  Even at that age, he could help this team at the PG.

Obviously, I liked his game ..

Hatten? He wasn't a natural PG but, on that Jarvis NIT team, had to do it all.

Wish we could clone those guys.

uwsfan

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 05:07:57 PM »
This perplexes me. I recall during last seasons preseason, lavin saying that the team would be playing a fast paced running style. But it is not until multiple games into THIS season that it appears to have happened.

Could have possiblly made the tourney last year and beaten both Wisc & Penn St this year had Lavin figured it out sooner.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 05:09:14 PM by uwsfan »

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 07:05:09 PM »
Just because we haven't pressed doesn't mean we haven't run.  I think we are still considered an up tempo team.

Moose

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
Just because we haven't pressed doesn't mean we haven't run.  I think we are still considered an up tempo team.

I don't consider a team that milks the clock as much as we do as an up tempo team.
Remember who broke the Slice news

goredmen

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 07:40:07 PM »

The one stat that measures that sort of thing that I know of is Kenpom's adjusted tempo stat. We are ranked 265th out of 351 teams in tempo so far this season. Read into that what you will.

TONYD3

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 07:51:23 PM »
I think we run we can. When we run we look good. When we don't we look like we don't ever practice offense

Poison

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 07:53:18 PM »
In order to run, Greene has to go to the bench. Can't run w no point guard.

desco80

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 09:48:20 PM »

I don't consider a team that milks the clock as much as we do as an up tempo team.

Agree.   Unless we create a turnover our game won't look much faster because none of our offense is designed for a quick play to get a shot off in 7secs or less.   That's uptempo. 

We might press and trap, but unless we have all new plays - we're not likely to see a track meet.

jr49

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 11:33:28 AM »
I'm surprised so many think the press is the answer. Press, man, or zone playing hard for 40 minutes is the answer. We look poor because we don't play hard. Nothing looks as bad and stupid as a lazy press. I read a post about the 80's Georgetown teams winning because they pressed. I think they won because they played hard. Can u seeing us press against a well coached team with a bunch of good guards. I think if our guys dedicate themselves to playing a hard 40, the press at times might be a useful tool.