Playing Up-Tempo Ball

• 84 replies
Re: Playing Up-Tempo Ball
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 01:00:25 PM »
We are not a good passing or three point shooting team and we are just an ok rebounding team. Tough to play up tempo with those issues.

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 01:22:23 PM »
We are not a good passing or three point shooting team and we are just an ok rebounding team. Tough to play up tempo with those issues.
+1

paultzman

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 01:31:37 PM »
It seems the preference is to push tempo via some pressing and running off steals & outlet passes. Agree you have to rebound well in this scenario. I guess the main point is we will get nowhere utilizing our clock sapping, pass it around the perimeter, let it fly half court nonsense. When the clock consistently reaches five to ten seconds and we rush a shot, no good usually results. All in all,  our offensively challenged, poor perimeter shooting squad has to find other ways to score. Hopefully that deficit will lessen with occasional contributions from Max & improvement from D'Lo & others. Granted the latter is an iffy proposition.

pmg911

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 01:37:05 PM »

BUT we are awful in the half court offense... 

I would rather take the risk of some turnovers with bad passing to give our athletes a chance to play a style better suited to their strengths...

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2013, 01:53:37 PM »

BUT we are awful in the half court offense... 

I would rather take the risk of some turnovers with bad passing to give our athletes a chance to play a style better suited to their strengths...

+1
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2013, 02:12:02 PM »
I think I have made it clear what I think about our "offense". All I am saying is we do not really have the personal to be an uptempo team. Some on these boards seem to think you have to be a slow down or up tempo. You can run a better more efficient offense than ours w/o necessarily being a running team.

boo3

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2013, 03:15:12 PM »
Disagree...  Jordan, Sampson, Pointer, Greene, all guys that can thrive in a running system..  Fast, athletic and can finish at the rim..

Plus we have Sanchez and Obekpa to block shots which can often ignite the break..

IMO- our personel perfect to run.   Not to mention Branch, who may be the best penetrator of the bunch.

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2013, 03:21:55 PM »
Disagree...  Jordan, Sampson, Pointer, Greene, all guys that can thrive in a running system..  Fast, athletic and can finish at the rim..

Plus we have Sanchez and Obekpa to block shots which can often ignite the break..

IMO- our personel perfect to run.   Not to mention Branch, who may be the best penetrator of the bunch.

Every "running" team in history utilizes the three.
Common misnomer is that running team's dunk and get layups. Usually the jumper is the shot that is open
This team would not be a good rumming team.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 03:24:16 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2013, 03:26:50 PM »
I am not saying you can't have run outs but it is silly to think we would be a good running team as a primary way to play. Besides personal issues it is the exact opposite of what we do and that type of offense can not be implemented mid season

boo3

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2013, 03:39:37 PM »
 news flash-  our 1/2 court offense yields nothing but jumpers either..

Harrison and Hooper, to an extent ,can make shots on run outs..

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2013, 03:47:26 PM »
news flash-  our 1/2 court offense yields nothing but jumpers either..

Harrison and Hooper, to an extent ,can make shots on run outs..

You are doing it. Falling into Hooper trap. You confident he will continue to get minutes?

If Lavin trusted Branch or Jordan offense would be a ton better with penetration. Plus the main problem is even if Greene no longer holds the ball and dribbles in circles, our offense is still too side to side and we have very little movement. Going from this offense to a running offense would be like deciding to go to the moon instead of driving to Florida.

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2013, 03:50:37 PM »
Sorry for double posts, but our offense is an interesting problem. Clearly Lavin is not an offensive mastermind but a big part of the problem is the uneven roster. We have the most good players that we have had in a decade, but they don't all fit together. Sort of like the Knick roster. 

boo3

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2013, 04:23:22 PM »
 Not about falling into a trap or not. If he hits shots he will play, if he doesn't, he won't.

He hit 5 in one game. Who was the last person to do that (outside of D-lo).   I think he can shoot and has a role on this team.  We need him against a team like Syracuse.  Most teams have a scouting report on us.  Pack in the zone.  Harrison, Hooper, and Jordan need top find their shots.

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2013, 04:29:35 PM »
Are you going to hold on to this "Hooper won't get minutes" thing until the bitter end? Like the Harrison to Baylor thing. He's going to get minutes. He completely changed our offense the past two games. 

boo3

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2013, 04:31:30 PM »
 The more I think about it, this team is only going as far as Rysheed Jordan can take them.  When he signed, I thought, Finally!  A dynamic point guard that can get into the lane at will and create for himself and others..  For whatever reason, it just hasn't happened.

Until it does, we will suffer the same mediocre fate as seasons past.

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2013, 04:51:38 PM »
Are you going to hold on to this "Hooper won't get minutes" thing until the bitter end? Like the Harrison to Baylor thing. He's going to get minutes. He completely changed our offense the past two games. 

Harrison thing was said in jest. I am pretty sure I said as much last year. If I were Harrison I would have transfered, every thing else was a joke.
I don't know if he will get consistent minutes. If I were to bet I would say no.Lavin has little patience for one dimensional players. We saw Bourgault have a big game last year then disappear. Can Hooper shoot? Looks like it but combination of better all around players and Lavin's patience with shooters does not bode well for him. We have all seen the 0-1 then pulled substitution.

paultzman

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2013, 04:52:25 PM »

Not a fan of Greene, but hopefully, chronic, trite references to " circles" can disappear also.  Repetitive nonsense.

desco80

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2013, 05:37:56 PM »
The more I think about it, this team is only going as far as Rysheed Jordan can take them.  When he signed, I thought, Finally!  A dynamic point guard that can get into the lane at will and create for himself and others..  For whatever reason, it just hasn't happened.

Not a big believer in Branch?   
I would say the season hinges on the two of them, and how they run the offense.

DFF6

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2013, 05:45:58 PM »

If that's your threshold for a good season, then I think we're doomed.  Unless Lavin buries Branch or Greene on the bench going forward in order to give Jordan the PT that any good PG would need to develop a rhythm with this team, it looks like Jordan's impact this year will be limited and not program changing.  Still, plenty of season left, and if Jordan starts playing really well in his limited role, he might force the issue, which would be nice, but IMO, not expected based on his play thus far. 

desco80

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2013, 06:51:41 PM »
Jordan is already playing 15+ minutes most nights.  He's been out there enough to show something, and he really hasn't.
  I would like to see him play more too, but it's not as if his play has demanded it.   I don't fault Lavin for how he's handled it. 
I would expect as the season goes on his minutes will slowly increase.  As they should.