Fordham Game Discussion

• 193 replies
Re: Fordham Game Discussion
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2013, 04:31:25 PM »
How the hell did the worst shooting team in the country and we all know that Lavin can't coach (see Longwood and Penn St games) beat a Fordham team that beat a MAAC powerhouse on the road like Manhattan by 40+ points?

How is that possible?

How can that be we know Lavin in 3 years could not recruit a 3 point shooter and even decided not to recruit a bonafide 3pt shooter in Jon Severe?

Someone needs to explain this to me right now...

SJUFAN

« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2013, 04:41:56 PM »
Anybody who says we don't run an offense is wrong.  It's easy to see when we start running it right, passing and making shots.  Cant say enough about how much I enjoyed this game.  Grest across the board.

Offense always looks better when the ball goes in the hoop. At the end of the day, its about players' making plays, and making baskets.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 04:42:54 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2013, 04:48:14 PM »
Fordham is going to be a good team too. The kid Eric Paschall coming in next year is an absolute steal. Him and Severe will be a really good 1-2 punch.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2013, 04:57:48 PM »
Fordham is going to be a good team too. The kid Eric Paschall coming in next year is an absolute steal. Him and Severe will be a really good 1-2 punch.

Absolutely, the irony is after giving SJU fits the last 3 years with bad teams Pecora has some talent this year and yet this is the year SJU treated them like the younger brother they are, running them off the floor

MCNPA

« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2013, 05:05:37 PM »
Anybody who says we don't run an offense is wrong.  It's easy to see when we start running it right, passing and making shots.  Cant say enough about how much I enjoyed this game.  Grest across the board.

Offense always looks better when the ball goes in the hoop. At the end of the day, its about players' making plays, and making baskets.

I'm not saying we're running it better.  It was addressing those that say we don't run an offense at all. No plays etc...   

« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2013, 05:18:55 PM »
I have heard the Paschall kid was a great get for Pecora.  You put him with Severe and some of those other guards and they might be on to something.   

gman

« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2013, 05:27:15 PM »
I saw most of the game on TV, and I didn't see C Jones play but the espn box score reflects that he played 2 minutes.  Can't be right, right??

He didn't play.  They probably confused him with the walkon N'dyie (?)

« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2013, 05:39:40 PM »
How the hell did the worst shooting team in the country and we all know that Lavin can't coach (see Longwood and Penn St games) beat a Fordham team that beat a MAAC powerhouse on the road like Manhattan by 40+ points?

How is that possible?

How can that be we know Lavin in 3 years could not recruit a 3 point shooter and even decided not to recruit a bonafide 3pt shooter in Jon Severe?

How is that possible?

Not a good week upcoming if you want to hear from the number of Tom Kochalski's and John Woodens who flood this site.  Hope you'll survive :)

« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2013, 05:52:26 PM »
I was shocked they ran with us the whole game, they played like a tired
team the second half.  And we played the perfect game, I hope we bring that next week.

desco80

« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2013, 06:14:36 PM »

How is that possible?

Really?   You can't enjoy this win without being obnoxious?
I'm not saying Lavin is a good in-game coach or not, but beating Fordham today doesn't discount the last 30 games we've seen.   So give it a rest

desco80

« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2013, 06:18:15 PM »

I'm not saying we're running it better.  It was addressing those that say we don't run an offense at all. No plays etc...   

There is an offense, you're right. 
The players just executed better today.   There was an unbelievable amount of ball-movement. 

« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2013, 06:21:47 PM »
Everything fell for us today.  Fun game to be at.  Even though Orlando Sanchez was unconscious today with his jumper, you saw he good he can be with his back to the basket and around the blocks.  He needs to play inside-out instead of purely near the top of the key.  Glad he had a breakthrough performance.  Rysheed did some really nice things as well. 

Disagree that we played a "perfect game".  Missed a lot of boxouts and also even as we built that big first half lead, we took some possessions off defensively.  But boy, does the intensity level change when Dom is in the game.  His energy is contagious.  Combo of playing attacking offensive basketball and being unusually unconscious from the perimeter got us this blowout.

Crazy part with that big first half lead is that Fordham only turned the ball over 3 times in the whole half while we turned the ball over 8 times, and we led in fast break points 12-0.  We did a really nice job getting out into the open floor off of misses. 

Overall, just glad we can go into this Syracuse game feeling really good about ourselves and with the confidence level high.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 06:25:34 PM by TRabinowitz »
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Poison

« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »

How is that possible?

Really?   You can't enjoy this win without being obnoxious?
I'm not saying Lavin is a good in-game coach or not, but beating Fordham today doesn't discount the last 30 games we've seen.   So give it a rest

He's here to remind you when he's right, (not that this means very much at all) but ever hear him admit he was wrong? That's because he's never wrong. Fordham educated. Can't beat that.

« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2013, 06:53:10 PM »
Surrounded by quite a few Rams' fans but of course they sat in stunned silence.

We did just about everything right and I don't remember a shooting performance like ours in the first half since I started watching SJU basketball over 50 years ago.

Next week we will go into the game sure of ourselves and determined to show Le Grand Orange  that this is our home court.

If we can do that the tide has turned.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 06:55:06 PM by qcredman »

gman

« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2013, 06:54:46 PM »
Surrounded by quite a few Rams' fans but of course they sat in stunned silence.

We did just about everything right and I don't remember a shooting performance like that in the first half since I started watching SJU basketball over 50 years ago.

Next week we will go into the game sure of ourselves and determined to show Le Grand Orange  that this is our home court.

If we can do that the tide has turned.

Their fans complained about some stuff when it was close in the 1st half but said nothing once we broke it open.

redslope

« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2013, 06:59:38 PM »
team regressed today--for the first time this year they did not score more in the second half than they did in the first ;)

Was a fun experience and a hell of a lot stressful on the heart.  The team was all around positive and it was fun watching the guys going crazy on the bench in the second half.  Great boost for Primo (as he was today) and even for Marco.  Nice to see Rasheed get extended time.  Branch made some fantastic no look passes.  It may be a long time until we see such a performance repeated.  Crowd size was good and up on their feet in the last possession to applaud the effort.  It is great to have depth--11 players in double digit minutes.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2013, 07:00:35 PM »
what is the record for consecutive baskets? I would think 17 in a row is a lot, or some kind of record...New new Big East record?
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #137 on: December 07, 2013, 07:18:13 PM »
I love the Redmen, a fan since the Sonny Dove days.  Today was great!! We belong the the final discussion come March. As long as we don't shoot ourselves in the foot. I realize I'm being very optimistic, but Fordham & Georgia Tech aren't gimmes. A soft comment on the Lavin bashers...He knows how to recruit. I remember in the Louie days. The knock on him was he made good teams better and great teams good.  Enjoy the ride.  Let's go Redmen!!!

« Reply #138 on: December 07, 2013, 07:37:56 PM »
Just watched the game on DVR. Wow. If we can play like that from now on, we'll be tough to beat. Sanchez looked great. Just about everyone did. Except Severe. That was brutal. A10 player.  ;)

dR3w

« Reply #139 on: December 07, 2013, 07:41:18 PM »
what is the record for consecutive baskets? I would think 17 in a row is a lot, or some kind of record...New new Big East record?

I looked for it, but it doesn't appear to be in the NCAA record book ... unless I missed it.