Bracketology

• 425 replies

hnk

Re: Bracketology
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2014, 08:26:16 PM »
Sorry, way too cold to open a window..  We are at least somewhat good this year.   And i think Coach is doing a good job.   Sorry, i have an opinion. 

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2014, 08:43:47 PM »
Lavin is in a perfect position right now...SJU still does not have a president and acting acting presidents do not want to rock the boat.  Firing Lavin would be a bad ideal at this time because, how much money will the acting President have to spend on a new coach? It would be a bad ideal for an acting President to make a long term decision such as a new coach, especially hiring a coach after another SJU coached flamed out.

But making a coach a lame duck for a year cannot be for recruiting or for the current players on team.

Hopefully the team continues to win and this becomes moot.
Cougar O' Malley

desco80

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2014, 08:47:55 PM »
Sorry, way too cold to open a window..  We are at least somewhat good this year.   And i think Coach is doing a good job.   Sorry, i have an opinion. 

Don't apologize, you're entitled to your opinion.   That's what makes this fun.
If anything, I probably crossed the line with the glue remark.   I was just trying to humorously disagree. 

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2014, 08:59:07 AM »
According to KenPom and a little math, we have a 9.9% chance of winning the next two and a 53.1% chance of winning 1 of the next 2.

Winning 1 of the next 2, then 2 of the following 3 (@SH, Gtown, Butler) is optimistic but completely within reason.  That would put us at 6-8 with 4 games left.  Get there, and I think the bracketology conversation becomes real but still a long shot. 

In my view, best case scenario is 9-9 in conference.  Making the BET championship after that would put us firmly on the bubble.  In short, if we trip up at all in the next 5 games, the only path to the tournament is the automatic bid. 

There is no way going 9-9 and then 2-1 in the BET gives us a shot at the tourney even if the bubble is weak this year. I think 10-8 and 2-1 gets us in the conversation but still leaves us out. Dont forget we still have exactly 0 good win. Sunday vs Creighton is a chance for win but thinking we are going to win at Nova is incredibly optimistic. Say we knock one of them off in the BET and that will give us 2 good wins on selection Sunday. 2 good wins all season = NIT
9-9 and 2-1 in BET means 21 wins and a top-half-of-the-league tournament resume.  Depending who those wins come against and what the bubble looks like, that is definitely a resume that will be in the conversation.  As I said, probably a long shot, but that is at worst a "next 4 out" (best 8 teams not to make it).  At this point, I think that's best case scenario. 

hnk

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2014, 09:05:53 AM »
You get a little extra credit for end of year run////in the bubble determinations....

Poison

« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2014, 09:29:25 AM »
IMO we need to get to the finals of the BE tourney. Our best win is Marquette followed by Seton Hall. Even last year, we beat Cinci and Uconn.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:30:49 AM by Poison »

hnk

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2014, 09:40:22 AM »
Season is not over...we could get some more quality wins....Prov....Vil....Creighton?  None are impossible.

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2014, 09:43:47 AM »
including Penn State, who is ranked 70th on KenPom

LOL so now KenPom is deciding who gets in the tournament.  Wisconsin has lost 5 straight and DePaul was a terrible loss.  The problem is they have zero good wins so it doesn't matter if they have any other bad losses.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:51:52 AM by Needs2go »

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2014, 09:49:41 AM »
We are at least somewhat good this year.   And i think Coach is doing a good job.   

I have come to the conclusion you are nothing more than a monster troll.

DFF6

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2014, 09:51:17 AM »
IMO, nothing short of winning the BE tourney gets us in.  We are just playing for BE tourney seeding for the next 9 games.

Moose

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2014, 09:59:53 AM »
We are at least somewhat good this year.   And i think Coach is doing a good job.   

I have come to the conclusion you are nothing more than a monster troll.

Why do you remove the name of the poster you are quoting?
Remember who broke the Slice news

nudginator59

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2014, 04:27:25 PM »
IMO, nothing short of winning the BE tourney gets us in.  We are just playing for BE tourney seeding for the next 9 games.

Are saying that the BE will only have two teams (Nova Creighton) in the tournament unless another team wins the BE tournament?
Cougar O' Malley

DFF6

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2014, 04:48:48 PM »

Are saying that the BE will only have two teams (Nova Creighton) in the tournament unless another team wins the BE tournament?

Pretty much.  Look at the records of our conference teams.  Outside of Creighton and Nova, Providence has the next best record at 16-6, and I don't think that will last throughout the remainder of the season.  GTown already has 9 losses (sound familiar?) but they do have some quality wins (we don't yet), so they might be an at large candidate if they go on a strong run.  Xavier beat Cincy as their "signature" win, but they have lost 3 straight and I think we finish better than them when it's all said and done.  Still some season left to play, but all "quality" wins that can be had from here on out will be at the expense of our fellow conference teams.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 05:09:55 PM by DFF6 »

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2014, 05:09:52 PM »

Moose buddy I am not sure why that is happening but I don't do it on purpose.  I try to get the person's quote and post it so everyone knows what jibberish I am responding to.

Thanks and gl tonight

nudginator59

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2014, 05:59:59 PM »

Pretty much.  Look at the records of our conference teams.  Outside of Creighton and Nova, Providence has the next best record at 16-6, and I don't think that will last throughout the remainder of the season.  GTown already has 9 losses (sound familiar?) but they do have some quality wins (we don't yet), so they might be an at large candidate if they go on a strong run.  Xavier beat Cincy as their "signature" win, but they have lost 3 straight and I think we finish better than them when it's all said and done.  Still some season left to play, but all "quality" wins that can be had from here on out will be at the expense of our fellow conference teams.

Solid points, I wasn't just asking for the sake of SJU. If SJU can somehow beat Creighton at home and Nova away, those would be two really big wins. Of course that is a big IF and counting that SJU can play up to their potential...Both big IFs...
Cougar O' Malley

Moose

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2014, 06:24:14 PM »

Moose buddy I am not sure why that is happening but I don't do it on purpose.  I try to get the person's quote and post it so everyone knows what jibberish I am responding to.

Thanks and gl tonight

what is gl tonight?

Just click quote.  Go to the end of the quote and write what you want to write.

« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2014, 06:45:30 PM »
gl=good luck

good luck with the game tonight Mr. Moose it is an absolute must win if they want to have a punchers chance at an at large bid

Moose

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2014, 06:49:54 PM »
gl=good luck

good luck with the game tonight Mr. Moose it is an absolute must win if they want to have a punchers chance at an at large bid

I don't need luck tonight.  I have no dog in the race :)

But enjoy

paultzman

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2014, 12:39:00 PM »
@HolyLandofHoops: ESPN Bracketology with 4 #BIGEAST teams dancing: Nova 2, Creighton 3, Xavier 9, Providence 11 (play in).  Hoyas among 1st four out.

DFF6

« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2014, 02:05:06 PM »
@HolyLandofHoops: ESPN Bracketology with 4 #BIGEAST teams dancing: Nova 2, Creighton 3, Xavier 9, Providence 11 (play in).  Hoyas among 1st four out.

Current records aside, I'd swap Xavier with Gtown and would hope that we swap with Providence on the play in.