Bracketology

• 425 replies

ras

Re: Bracketology
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2014, 12:15:00 PM »
Lunardi said if we beat Geargetown and Butler we will be in. Lets not get complacent tomorrow.

jr49

« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2014, 01:11:12 PM »
What is tough is that SJU starts and finishes the season on the road. The last game against Marquette no less. It is was it is...

People were crushing Marquette too saying they're not good. Well they are currently in 4th place in this conference.
After we beat up Marquette they needed a break. Of the next 3 , 2 were home and SH on the road. All very winnable and they got'em. Of the 3 road games they have left DePaul and Providence are 2. That 7-5 record of theres can easily finish up 11-7. We might have to win a war of a game finishing up there. I guess thats what it's all about.

« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2014, 01:27:13 PM »
The biggest problem with tourney chances is the lack of strength of the conference altogether.  The conference only has 2 teams that even got VOTES.  I thought if we went 3-2 in the last 5 we were in regardless of the BE tourney results.  Now I think we need to win at last 4 of the next 6 to get in.  How disappointing has this first season of the "New" Big east been...I was expecting us, G-Town & Marquette to lead the way.

Still think the schedule is very favorable and I think that if we beat nova we would be a lock.

« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2014, 02:28:21 PM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Last team in.  Has us playing Ron Roberts and St. Joes in one of the play in games.

Win two this week and we're out of the playing round!!!

goredmen

« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2014, 04:10:07 PM »
All this talk of running the table from here on out in this and other threads is a little crazy IMO. Let's not forget we were down 4 with 2:30 left against SHU who was missing 2 of their best players. I think we win the remaining games at home and lose at nova and at marquette. That puts us at 10-8. if we win 1 game in the BET we will be squarely on the bubble on selection Sunday. Make it to Saturday in the BET and we should be comfortable

« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2014, 04:12:12 PM »
All this talk of running the table from here on out in this and other threads is a little crazy IMO. Let's not forget we were down 4 with 2:30 left against SHU who was missing 2 of their best players. I think we win the remaining games at home and lose at nova and at marquette. That puts us at 10-8. if we win 1 game in the BET we will be squarely on the bubble on selection Sunday. Make it to Saturday in the BET and we should be comfortable

I don't think it's crazy seeing as we've won 8/9 and are playing the best basketball of anyone in the conference. May be unlikely but definitely not crazy.

« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2014, 04:17:18 PM »
Gored if we go only 3-2 and 1-1 in BET we finish 21-12 and you are the only one that will be comfortable on selection Sunday! Comfortable would be 4-1 and 2-1 for 23-11. I said comfortable not that we have no shot with slightly less success than that finish.

« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2014, 04:47:43 PM »
Lunardi has been amazing at this for years so if he says we'd be in if the season ends today that's what I'd be looking at not CBS or USAToday.

goredmen

« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2014, 05:01:04 PM »
Gored if we go only 3-2 and 1-1 in BET we finish 21-12 and you are the only one that will be comfortable on selection Sunday! Comfortable would be 4-1 and 2-1 for 23-11. I said comfortable not that we have no shot with slightly less success than that finish.

I said if we go 3-2 and 1-1 then we would be squarely on the bubble. If we go 3-2 and pick up 2 wins in the BET that puts us at 22 wins. The bubble is very weak this year, 22 wins should be good enough to avoid a real sweat on selection Sunday. The only thing that would scare me at 22 wins on selection sunday is if 2 or 3 teams way outside the bubble had won their conference tourney and stole bids, thus shrinking the bubble

paultzman

« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2014, 12:15:03 AM »
@ESPNLunardi: Bubble update. BYES: Minn, Mizzou, Tenn, StJohn. IN: Prov, StJoe, Gtown, BYU. OUT: WVU, Rich, Bay, OklaSt. NEXT: SoMiss, LaTech, Day, LSU.

pmg911

« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2014, 08:45:05 AM »
I would love to see us in an 8/9 game with Minnesota.... 

No matter what, the Selection committee will never put SJU in East bracket this year.

Tha Kid

« Reply #111 on: February 19, 2014, 08:47:26 AM »
PMG we are ineligible for east bracket right - they are not even allowed to put us there even if thy wanted to, I believe?
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #112 on: February 19, 2014, 08:56:19 AM »
@ESPNLunardi: Bubble update. BYES: Minn, Mizzou, Tenn, StJohn. IN: Prov, StJoe, Gtown, BYU. OUT: WVU, Rich, Bay, OklaSt. NEXT: SoMiss, LaTech, Day, LSU.

What does byes mean?  I hope that means in but not one of the last 4 in?  The last 4 in play in the first round (Dayton games)?

paultzman

« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2014, 09:04:18 AM »

What does byes mean?  I hope that means in but not one of the last 4 in?  The last 4 in play in the first round (Dayton games)?

Correct

« Reply #114 on: February 19, 2014, 09:43:30 AM »
PMG we are ineligible for east bracket right - they are not even allowed to put us there even if thy wanted to, I believe?
Does it matter if it's MSG for the Regional games vs. 1st/2nd rounds?  Teams seem to play very close to home in 1st/2nd rounds at times.  I don't know that 2A tourney req't.

Moose

« Reply #115 on: February 19, 2014, 09:54:32 AM »
Does it matter if it's MSG for the Regional games vs. 1st/2nd rounds?  Teams seem to play very close to home in 1st/2nd rounds at times.  I don't know that 2A tourney req't.

Usually high seeds get placed close to home if possible.  Could be  West region game in some east coast city because the Regional city is what really signifies EAST, WEST, etc.

In 2011 we were 6 seed and thrown out in Denver.

Also its clear that Cuse will be in the EAST region ticketed for MSG.  God I'd love them to fall short and not reach MSG.  That will change the ticket market for sure.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:55:39 AM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #116 on: February 19, 2014, 10:06:06 AM »

Usually high seeds get placed close to home if possible.  Could be  West region game in some east coast city because the Regional city is what really signifies EAST, WEST, etc.

Also its clear that Cuse will be in the EAST region ticketed for MSG.  God I'd love them to fall short and not reach MSG.  That will change the ticket market for sure.

I went out to Denver (too bad we didn't win a game since we were there til Sunday) liked the city so lets hope we don't get sent (assuming we do get in) we get into the San Diego bracket.  I'd take St. Louis as well.

NO BUFFALO, MILWAUKEE PLEASE!!!!

If we do go to San Antonio everyone has to visit the basement of the Alamo.

Tha Kid

« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2014, 10:06:26 AM »

Moose - am I correct that we are ineligible for the East region since it is our home court?  I thought that was a rule (and has applied to Kentucky, Syracuse among other teams), but can't find anything to back me up right now.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2014, 10:20:29 AM »

Moose - am I correct that we are ineligible for the East region since it is our home court?  I thought that was a rule (and has applied to Kentucky, Syracuse among other teams), but can't find anything to back me up right now.
Well - here's the Wiki summary/history review of placements: "Any team may be sent to any region and any pod, although the tournament does try to keep teams, especially the top-seeded teams, closer to home.

However, in 2004, Pittsburgh played its first two tournament games in Milwaukee and not in Buffalo or Columbus, cities to which it was closer. This was done to keep a lower-seeded team, the Wisconsin Badgers, close to its campus. Similarly, two east-coast teams, Maryland and Syracuse traveled to Denver, where their opening round opponents were BYU and UTEP, both of which were geographically closer to Denver.

In addition, in the 2009, Kansas and West Virginia, the two higher seeds, were seeded in Minneapolis to play their opponents North Dakota State and Dayton, although Dayton and North Dakota State are geographically closer to Minneapolis than Kansas and West Virginia.
A number of complex rules govern the seeding process, so it is not as simple as merely following the S-curve, although that is the top priority according to the NCAA's rules.[3] The better a team is, the more priority they have in remaining close to home, but no team can actually play on its home court if it is hosting tournament games (generally, games are hosted on neutral courts, so this is not usually a problem).

Sometimes a top team may be a short drive away from its games; in 2006 Villanova played its first and second round games in Philadelphia at an arena where they had played three games that year, one fewer than the four required for a site to be considered a "home court" for a team, and in 2002 the Pitt Panthers played their first and second round games in the city of Pittsburgh at Mullin Arena, which they used occasionally for home games.

Teams are spread out according to conference. The first three teams selected from each conference must be placed in different regions. When a conference has more than three teams in the tournament, the committee tries to seed the teams so that they cannot meet until the regional final. Before 2006, this was an absolute rule. However, in the summer of 2005, the NCAA changed its rules to allow intraconference matchups as early as the second round of the tournament, assuming all measures to keep the teams apart until the regional finals have been exhausted. The NCAA was clearly preparing for the chance that a conference would place more than eight teams in the tournament, which became a realistic possibility when the Big East, already a power conference, expanded to 16 members, with several of the new members having traditionally strong programs. The Big East placed a record eleven teams in the 2011 Tournament, and nine teams in the 2012 Tournament.

The committee may move a team up or down one seed from its seed line in the S-curve in order to preserve other principles. While this may be seen as unfair in some instances, the seeding process is an inexact science anyway and a slight move in seeding is unlikely to affect the chances of any team.
The committee also takes into consideration other non-basketball factors. In 2003 the tournament mistakenly placed BYU, a Latter-Day Saint school which has a policy of not playing games on Sunday, into a region where the team could be forced to play on a Sunday if they advanced to regional play. The NCAA then announced that they would switch BYU's region if they won their first two games and reached the regional semifinals; since BYU did not go that far, however, no action needed to be taken.

For 2011, the region names were slightly adjusted based on the locations of the regionals. The Midwest and South regions were replaced with the Southeast and Southwest regions, held in New Orleans and San Antonio respectively (sites that were determined when the NCAA was using city names as regional names). The regions reverted to the previous ones in 2012."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_basketball_tournament_selection_process
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 10:22:16 AM by bball purist »

« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2014, 06:17:22 PM »
any bubble teams playing tonight? I know Xavier and Marquette are playing.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 06:17:50 PM by kingofk1ngs »