Bracketology

• 425 replies

Tiger

Re: Bracketology
« Reply #200 on: February 27, 2014, 10:23:25 AM »
Moose, thanks for pulling this info together.  I thought our poor performance against top teams was enough to squash dreams of a
tournament  bid.  Certainly provides some real information to pin my hopes on.

Cal (1-6)
Dayton (2-3)
Baylor (2-6)
Oklahoma State (2-4)
Tennessee (1-5)
St. Joe's (2-4)
SMU (2-4)
Stanford (2-5)
Missouri (1-2)
Oregon (1-4)
Memphis (2-5)
Southern Miss (0-1)
Oklahoma (2-4)
Pitt (0-6)
BYU (1-4)
Gonzaga (0-1)
UCLA (1-3)
Kentucky (1-3)
Minnesota (2-7)
Richmond (1-4)

Everyone has 1 or 2 wins vs the top 25. Pitt is 0-6! I guess their chances for a bid are shot, right? St. John's is 6-4 vs the rest of the top 100. It's not like they haven't beaten anyone any good. BTW, St. John's has as many wins vs the top 25 as Wichita State. If only one win vs the top 25 doesn't rule a team out for a 1-seed, why should it rule a team out for an at-large bid?
« Last Edit: Today at 08:21:10 AM by Moose »
Report to moderator     Logged

« Reply #201 on: February 27, 2014, 11:08:27 AM »
Lunardi's latest Bracketology has us as the last team in:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Also, Lunardi posted another column with what 10 bubble teams, including St. Johns, need to do to get into the tournament (It's an Insider article):

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10525526/bracketology-brigham-young-cougars-teams-work-left-do

"St. John's Red Storm
The Red Storm (18-11, RPI 63, SOS 30) and Providence have each won on the other's court. It could be we see an elimination game between the two at the Big East tournament. Conveniently that would also be a home game for St. John's, but it was Tuesday's home loss to Xavier made this much harder than necessary.

What they need: Same as Providence. The Red Storm need three more wins, regardless of opponent or location."

boo3

« Reply #202 on: February 27, 2014, 11:20:21 AM »
 3 more wins, huh?  Wow.   I figured 4 minimum.. Next 2 and then get to Finals of BE tourney.  Lunardi usually nails this stuff, so who am I to argue?   Can't believe there is still a realistic shot at this. 

DFF6

« Reply #203 on: February 27, 2014, 11:48:28 AM »
3 more wins, huh?  Wow.   I figured 4 minimum.. Next 2 and then get to Finals of BE tourney.  Lunardi usually nails this stuff, so who am I to argue?   Can't believe there is still a realistic shot at this. 

All this really means is that we really, really, really need to beat Marquette, which will give us a shot at an easy match-up in the BET for the third win, so that the 4th win is merely for a  better seed. Of course, need to take care of DePaul first....

« Reply #204 on: February 27, 2014, 08:56:49 PM »
Penn State up 5 with 2 minutes to play on Ohio State. Gotta be an RPI boosting win for both us and them.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 08:57:07 PM by Ron Artesticles »

« Reply #205 on: February 27, 2014, 09:16:28 PM »
penn state beats osu.

LoganK

« Reply #206 on: February 27, 2014, 09:25:28 PM »
Penn State up 5 with 2 minutes to play on Ohio State. Gotta be an RPI boosting win for both us and them.

Certainly can't hurt.  If they win two more between their last three and the B1G tourney that might erase one of our "bad" losses (on paper).  FWIW they were ranked 82 in BPI prior to this win.

goredmen

« Reply #207 on: February 27, 2014, 09:39:03 PM »
Arkansas wins @ Kentucky and completes the regular season sweep of them. That will definitely catapult them into serious consideration.

Oregon catches a break as UCLA suspended Jordan Adams and Kyle Anderson, their 2 best players. Huge game for the quacks

« Reply #208 on: February 27, 2014, 11:53:44 PM »
The 9:30 bubble update has us the first team out now, Arkansas' win over Kentucky launched them into the First Four. Oregon currently up big at UCLA, Kyle Anderson strikes again.

Foad

« Reply #209 on: February 28, 2014, 07:30:55 AM »
Arkansas wins @ Kentucky and completes the regular season sweep of them. That will definitely catapult them into serious consideration.

Oregon catches a break as UCLA suspended Jordan Adams and Kyle Anderson, their 2 best players. Huge game for the quacks

Speculation on the UCLA boards is that Anderson and Adams were suspended for giving coach's son Bryce Alford a swirlie in the locker room.

« Reply #210 on: February 28, 2014, 12:26:47 PM »
Alford really responded with quite the game even in the loss. UCLA really let that game get away from them in the first overtime.

paultzman

« Reply #211 on: March 01, 2014, 10:21:29 AM »
@JonRothstein: Bubble teams with big games today: Dayton (host UMass), Ok St (host Kansas), Arkansas (at UGA), Tennessee (vs. Vandy), Minnesota (at Mich).

paultzman

« Reply #212 on: March 01, 2014, 11:44:07 AM »

@GophersNow: ESPN's Joe Lunardi updated his last four in this morning with Arkansas, Minnesota, Oregon and Tennessee. http://t.co/i0Rzo3hGIq

SJU in first four out with PC.

goredmen

« Reply #213 on: March 01, 2014, 01:45:49 PM »
@JonRothstein: Bubble teams with big games today: Dayton (host UMass), Ok St (host Kansas), Arkansas (at UGA), Tennessee (vs. Vandy), Minnesota (at Mich).

Dayton with a big win over tourney team UMass

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #214 on: March 01, 2014, 02:10:02 PM »
Does anyone this 3 wins will still get us in?
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #215 on: March 01, 2014, 02:17:05 PM »

3 wins could =BE Championship, so yes.

goredmen

« Reply #216 on: March 01, 2014, 02:56:28 PM »

I think we need 4. I might be in the minority but I dont think 3 even puts us in the first 4 out on selection sunday. 3 would put us on the next 4 out

« Reply #217 on: March 01, 2014, 03:22:17 PM »
I think the entire 1st four in, 1st four out, next four out, almost next in line out, is a total disgrace.  It all doesn't matter much.  I think it feeds teams into thinking they were good enough for the tourney when they really weren't.  It should feel bad to not get in no matter what, but just missing seems to be portrayed as some consolation.  I do not take any consolation in barely making it as a 68th team, or not making it.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #218 on: March 01, 2014, 03:58:23 PM »
I think the entire 1st four in, 1st four out, next four out, almost next in line out, is a total disgrace.  It all doesn't matter much.  I think it feeds teams into thinking they were good enough for the tourney when they really weren't.  It should feel bad to not get in no matter what, but just missing seems to be portrayed as some consolation.  I do not take any consolation in barely making it as a 68th team, or not making it.

I agree that if your 69th team or 80th team it still sucks regardless. We were defiantly in the inside the bubble prior to our 2 losses Nova and Xavier. After we were on the outside looking in, but we just had to win 3 more games. With the recent upsets and bubble jockeying.  Has there been any changes for 3 wins will do it or SJU?

Hopefully having a week off help  SJU refocus down the stretch.
Cougar O' Malley

LoganK

« Reply #219 on: March 01, 2014, 05:55:59 PM »

I agree that if your 69th team or 80th team it still sucks regardless. We were defiantly in the inside the bubble prior to our 2 losses Nova and Xavier. After we were on the outside looking in, but we just had to win 3 more games. With the recent upsets and bubble jockeying.  Has there been any changes for 3 wins will do it or SJU?

Hopefully having a week off help  SJU refocus down the stretch.

I still think we need 4 wins - 3 would be way to stressful a situation for my heart to deal with.  It really depends how the other bubble teams fair down the stretch as well.