Norm's Contract Extended

• 30 replies
Norm's Contract Extended
« on: May 09, 2008, 02:17:09 PM »
I highlighted some parts that will probably make some people's head explode...

http://redstormsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/050908aab.html

May 9, 2008

QUEENS, N.Y. - St. John's University Director of Athletics Chris Monasch announced on Friday that head coach Norm Roberts has agreed to a renewal of his five-year rollover contract, and will continue to lead the rebuilding of the University's basketball program.

"As stated in February, Coach Roberts has established the foundation for a successful program -- integrity, hard work and discipline. Our student-athletes are performing well in the classroom and are getting better on the court," stated Monasch. "We are pleased with what Norm and his staff have accomplished over the past four years, and believe the progress in many key areas is consistent with the expectations expressed by the University, our supporters and Coach Roberts when he was hired in 2004."

"Coach Roberts and St. John's are committed to extending that success onto the basketball court," Monasch continued. "The primary focus of this contact renewal emphasizes the importance of being successful on the court. We are confident that at this point, we have a young, talented nucleus that will return our program to its winning tradition in the very near future."

"This agreement shows the commitment that St. John's is making to me and my staff, to continue to build our program and make it as strong as it possibly can be, not just for now but for the long term," said Roberts. "We believe that we are building a solid foundation with our young players. They are working hard every single day to improve individually and as a team. We are increasing our talent level all the time, and we know as a program we are getting better every day."

The 2008-09 schedule for the Red Storm provides a formidable test for a team led by two returning seniors and seven sophomores. In addition to the arduous BIG EAST conference slate, which will include games against Louisville, Georgetown and Syracuse, St. John's will participate in the Preseason NIT and play host to Duke and Miami as part of its non-conference schedule.

University President Rev. Donald J. Harrington, C.M., said, "I continue to be grateful to Norm for all that he has accomplished in four years. Although much work remains to be done, we believe that many foundational elements are in place for a program of which we all can be proud. The University is committed to providing whatever institutional support is needed to bring the men's basketball program to the elite level we all desire."

St. John's recently announced a multi-million dollar, multi-year renovation of historic Carnesecca Arena, which serves as the on-campus competition venue of the Red Storm men's and women's basketball teams. The arena will undergo extensive improvements this summer, complete with an all-new playing surface and seating bowl with 800 chairback seats, and enhanced ticketing and lobby areas.

"These investments are part of a $30 million renovation plan for Carnesecca Arena and will complement the recent $23 million improvement for our athletic facilities, including the construction of Taffner Field House," said Monasch.

Taffner Field House is the $16 million, 43,000 square-foot practice facility for the men's and women's basketball programs, which was completed in the fall of 2005.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 02:20:03 PM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Re: Norm's Contract Extended
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 04:28:07 PM »
No mention of incentives for improving laughable fan attendance or improving the abysmally low APR scores.
Maybe Monasch needs all of that tanning to look at himself in the mirror every morning.
Which of his alma maters is the worst off, Seton Hall, St. John's, or Fordham?

Poison

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 04:37:26 PM »

May 9, 2008

QUEENS, N.Y. - St. John's University Director of Athletics Chris Monasch announced on Friday that head coach Norm Roberts has agreed to a renewal of his five-year rollover contract, and will continue to lead the rebuilding of the University's basketball program.

"As stated in February, Coach Roberts has established the foundation for a successful program -- integrity, hard work and discipline. Our student-athletes are performing well in the classroom and are getting better on the court," stated Monasch. "We are pleased with what Norm and his staff have accomplished over the past four years, and believe the progress in many key areas is consistent with the expectations expressed by the University, our supporters and Coach Roberts when he was hired in 2004."

"Coach Roberts and St. John's are committed to extending that success onto the basketball court," Monasch continued. "The primary focus of this contact renewal emphasizes the importance of being successful on the court. We are confident that at this point, we have a young, talented nucleus that will return our program to its winning tradition in the very near future."

"This agreement shows the commitment that St. John's is making to me and my staff, to continue to build our program and make it as strong as it possibly can be, not just for now but for the long term," said Roberts. "We believe that we are building a solid foundation with our young players. They are working hard every single day to improve individually and as a team. We are increasing our talent level all the time, and we know as a program we are getting better every day."

The 2008-09 schedule for the Red Storm provides a formidable test for a team led by two returning seniors and seven sophomores. In addition to the arduous BIG EAST conference slate, which will include games against Louisville, Georgetown and Syracuse, St. John's will participate in the Preseason NIT and play host to Duke and Miami as part of its non-conference schedule.

University President Rev. Donald J. Harrington, C.M., said, "I continue to be grateful to Norm for all that he has accomplished in four years. Although much work remains to be done, we believe that many foundational elements are in place for a program of which we all can be proud. The University is committed to providing whatever institutional support is needed to bring the men's basketball program to the elite level we all desire."

St. John's recently announced a multi-million dollar, multi-year renovation of historic Carnesecca Arena, which serves as the on-campus competition venue of the Red Storm men's and women's basketball teams. The arena will undergo extensive improvements this summer, complete with an all-new playing surface and seating bowl with 800 chairback seats, and enhanced ticketing and lobby areas.

"These investments are part of a $30 million renovation plan for Carnesecca Arena and will complement the recent $23 million improvement for our athletic facilities, including the construction of Taffner Field House," said Monasch.

Taffner Field House is the $16 million, 43,000 square-foot practice facility for the men's and women's basketball programs, which was completed in the fall of 2005.

"we know as a program we are getting better every day"

Except that Showtime, Monte and Jackson were a better threesome than Boothe, Burrell and Mason.
Norm should be shot for his lies.

Thomas Olik

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 04:58:45 PM »
Or maybe just fired...

kob24

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 05:11:08 PM »

May 9, 2008

"we know as a program we are getting better every day"

Except that Showtime, Monte and Jackson were a better threesome than Boothe, Burrell and Mason.
Norm should be shot for his lies.
are u sure u really think those 3 are better than the younger 3?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 05:33:34 PM »
Nothing to get really mad at here.  This is what they said they were doing, and you can't sustain a dang thing if there isn't the appearance that the coach is coming back for a few years.  And if the coach falls on his face again, there's little excuse to bring him back.  But the official statement sounds ironclad, like the plan is to have coach around for years; they can't put out a statement detailing all the incentives, it makes the contract and the coach's position look weak.

If the coach looks weak, it's the same as leaving him as a lame duck coach.

Thing is, they'd be hard pressed to be as bad as last year.  Some of that turdfest of a season was because of inexperience.  But I also don't think they will be strong enough to save the coach's job.  I know the administration seems to have a head full of knuckles, but they can't ignore the on-court results for much longer - especially if the only reliable scorer we have is graduating this year.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 05:34:11 PM by peter »

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 06:07:57 PM »
This is the rollover that just adds one season right?
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 11:21:03 PM »
just the news we needed....things were getting a bit boring last few days. Also perhaps this news was announced at this particular time to help secure some recruits (purely speculation). All in all we knew this was coming as it was reported but now its just official.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

sjd8886

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 11:35:02 PM »
i really thought this was a joke until i read the other comments...i truly do not believe this...how many years is he extended for?

Randomhero423

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 11:54:11 PM »
he better be fired nxt yr if nothing changes.  i'm sick of him and being ashamed of being a stj fan..........

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 02:14:06 AM »
just the news we needed....things were getting a bit boring last few days. Also perhaps this news was announced at this particular time to help secure some recruits (purely speculation). All in all we knew this was coming as it was reported but now its just official.
LOL

It was announced on a Friday to bury the aforementioned bad news.
Unless the recruit is Ebanks (and after the Keita fiasco, I doubt they would be in that bidding), no remaining 2008 recruit is going to materially change the outcome of next year's team.

gonzalo

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 07:40:46 AM »
Sincerely I didn´t expect it.

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 08:04:33 AM »
Just another reason why we are a joke of a program, thanks to the admin. Sad to say but i don't care anymore, I sjust expect poor dec esions from top to bottom with this program.

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 08:10:45 AM »
How much longer do we put up with this?

Poison

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 09:11:22 AM »
How much longer do we put up with this?

I would love it if the students protested like at a real school like indiana.
But the students at SJU are pathetic. All they do is cry like babies.

I don't have any money. It's too far away. Shame we can't fire them. 

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 10:52:03 AM »

But the students at SJU are pathetic. All they do is cry like babies.

Crying like babies is pathetic. See all posts above.  ::)

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 11:17:29 AM »
deep thoughts from Hoops...

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/

May 9, 2008
Johnnies renew Norm's contract

St. John’s took a step in its attempts to stabilize its basketball program when the Big East school and Norm Roberts agreed to a renewal of his five-year rollover contract. This gives Roberts the ability to recruit this summer and ends early speculation the school just wants him to serve out his term as nothing more than a lame duck. Hopefully for Roberts, this will allow him to sign some kids early and focus on coaching his team to a successful season.

Thomas Olik

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 12:11:22 PM »
That's the worst sports journalism I have seen in a while.

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2008, 12:18:15 PM »
Sincerely I didn´t expect it.

This is nothing more than a press release to show support for recruiting.  The reality is that Norm can be bought out at anytime just like any other coach in America.

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2008, 12:41:01 PM »
That's the worst sports journalism I have seen in a while.

You don't read too much then.