Lavin's Contract

• 162 replies
Re: Lavin's Contract
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2014, 08:46:24 AM »
Lavin's got to stay. In the Big East you win with talent. We are in a much better place today because of the high quality D 1  talent.  It wasn't  too long ago the program had a mix bag of  D 2 & mid major talent. Lavin's brings that to the table, not many can.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2014, 01:21:34 PM »
5-6 years extension is a long time...the program is moving in the right direction just really slowly. No issues with the extension the years scare me a bit .
Cougar O' Malley

MCNPA

« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2014, 05:38:47 PM »
The extra years are good for recruiting and one of the things we need here most is continuity.  We had an early run of losses this year that put us in a hole but I think our program is in good shape and Lavin does care about his kids.  I have no problem with it.  I want to start dancing yearly though.

« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2014, 11:20:46 PM »
5-6 years extension is a long time...the program is moving in the right direction just really slowly. No issues with the extension the years scare me a bit .

Well, consider this.  Everyone says the program is headed in the right direction but is it really? Lavin did well with Norm's recruits and Mike Dunlap in his first year, in fact that was his most impressive year.  People will point to the so called success of this year with a 20 win season but the reality is that this record was compiled with a much easier schedule and a much easier conference schedule. then his first campaign.  Can you imagine if the Big East included SYRACUSE, UCONN, CINCINNATI, LOUISVILLE, PITT?  Would the record be much better then in the past? No WAY!! So if you are going to say the team is moving in the right direction, and more successful then it has been in the past several years, you must compare apples to apples not apples to walnuts. With this watered down Big Least schedule, anything less then going three rounds in the NCAA tourney is not a team on the rise at all.   So what is the justification for the lengthy contract extension, unless having the gift of gab counts.  but wait, I forgot, we are dealing with the St. John's brain (less) trust here.

« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2014, 11:34:35 PM »

Well, consider this.  Everyone says the program is headed in the right direction but is it really? Lavin did well with Norm's recruits and Mike Dunlap in his first year, in fact that was his most impressive year.  People will point to the so called success of this year with a 20 win season but the reality is that this record was compiled with a much easier schedule and a much easier conference schedule. then his first campaign.  Can you imagine if the Big East included SYRACUSE, UCONN, CINCINNATI, LOUISVILLE, PITT?  Would the record be much better then in the past? No WAY!! So if you are going to say the team is moving in the right direction, and more successful then it has been in the past several years, you must compare apples to apples not apples to walnuts. With this watered down Big Least schedule, anything less then going three rounds in the NCAA tourney is not a team on the rise at all.   So what is the justification for the lengthy contract extension, unless having the gift of gab counts.  but wait, I forgot, we are dealing with the St. John's brain (less) trust here.

20 wins is 20 wins. This is not the MAAC. This is still a big time conference. True, not the old BE. But to say the program is not headed in the right direction is downright silly.

MCNPA

« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2014, 11:44:14 PM »

Much of the old guard is struggling getting 20 wins, not just us.  We had a losing streak before Rysheed was ready for the big time.  We've been different since then, but we certainly are better now, and Lavin had a year off from coaching with a cancer issue.   We are still on the bubble which is ok.  I hoped for 2 wins better at this point.  That said, only an idiot like Mirabella would say that nothing but 3 rounds (ie. Elite 8) is sufficient.   That's just nice personic.  I think we had/have capability to go a round or two depending on how we are playing.  Expecting to go to the elite 8 is rabble rousing and nothing more. 

« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2014, 12:05:28 AM »
I think my pre-season win prediction was spot on.  21 wins + two in the BET.  I'm not sure but I believe I also predicted 10-8 in conference.  Therefore, I can't really complain about the job Lavin has done this year. 

We really should pull up the predictions thread to see where everyone was.

Tiznow

« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2014, 12:10:50 AM »

He's here for a long time.  Get used to it.

nudginator59

« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2014, 01:04:34 AM »

-we finished tied for 3rd and we were picked to finish 6th that's a plus
-Lavin's own took Roberts kids to the NCAA which the closest things Roberts got to was a first round loss in the NIT. Lavin will make it to at least the NIT again. First time in how many years SJU is in back to back postseason births?
-He is getting higher rated recruits for the first time on a decade.
-comparing this team to the old BE is apples to oranges as well because it is different circumstances. Yes the old BE is better but also yes SJU would have a chance for more quality wins. I would have love the chance to face Cuse now then in December. The Orange are struggling and they can't score.
-The team is moving in the right direction and and if the make the NCAAs then Lavin kept his promise, the team still controls their destiny.

I agree this has been a crazy a tenure a coach has ever had between his cancer, the transfers, just asst coach leaving for the pros, and all the weird things he does. Despite all that he has made SJU attractive to pretty decent talent and the ship is slowly turning in the right direction. Hopefully he can keep it up. I like him and I think he is a good fit for the program.

I understand the reason why people are skeptical, I would prefer a little smaller extension because if the worst happens and e turns out being a fraud SJU is on the hook for a long time to pay him...we're not Texas which has a budget larger then some MLB clubs. Hopefully things continue to go right for the program.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2014, 01:41:06 AM »
Every contract has a buyout clause (except Hewitt's at Ga. Tech).  I'm sure Lavin's is higher than Norm's was, but...

desco80

« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2014, 12:12:02 AM »

-Lavin's own took Roberts kids to the NCAA which the closest things Roberts got to was a first round loss in the NIT. Lavin will make it to at least the NIT again. First time in how many years SJU is in back to back postseason births?
-comparing this team to the old BE is apples to oranges as well because it is different circumstances. Yes the old BE is better but also yes SJU would have a chance for more quality wins. I would have love the chance to face Cuse now then in December. The Orange are struggling and they can't score.
-The team is moving in the right direction and and if the make the NCAAs then Lavin kept his promise, the team still controls their destiny.

I agree this has been a crazy a tenure a coach has ever had between his cancer, the transfers, just asst coach leaving for the pros, and all the weird things he does. Despite all that he has made SJU attractive to pretty decent talent and the ship is slowly turning in the right direction. Hopefully he can keep it up. I like him and I think he is a good fit for the program.

I understand the reason why people are skeptical, I would prefer a little smaller extension because if the worst happens and e turns out being a fraud SJU is on the hook for a long time to pay him...we're not Texas which has a budget larger then some MLB clubs. Hopefully things continue to go right for the program.

This was a very rational and balanced post.  +1
Lavin has done some good things, and we are better off than we were.  But, this is an awful long time and quite a bit of money.  I just hope we don't regret it.
And kudos for being willing to mention the f-word.   

nudginator59

« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2014, 01:14:27 AM »

This was a very rational and balanced post.  +1
Lavin has done some good things, and we are better off than we were.  But, this is an awful long time and quite a bit of money.  I just hope we don't regret it.
And kudos for being willing to mention the f-word.   

Thanks it happens once in awhile...It is fun talking about what SJU chances are in making the tournament and what kind of damage we can do in the BET...this is the 2nd time in 4yrs that we can actually be excited about March and that is thanks to Lavin...he seems to have taken a more seriously approach to coaching by hiring good asst, and I think he wants to rebuild his legacy as a coach that's why I can't imagine that he would be a fraud...but I can see how he raises eyebrows by the way he acts and talks sometimes...
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2014, 12:26:45 PM »
He needs to hire Mahoney as an X's & O's coach and we are home free...Like a Bird!

paultzman

« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2014, 12:19:08 PM »
Never cared for Goodman;

@GoodmanESPN: Two administrative decisions that have surprised me: DePaul keeping Purnell for another year, Lavin on verge of signing lengthy extension.

@GoodmanESPN: Lavin extremely likable, but went to NCAA tourney first year with Norm Roberts' players - has not gone since, may not go this year. Year 4.

jr49

« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2014, 01:11:39 PM »

How have you put up with 6-12 every year with your lofty standards. Have you ever been tempted to find a coach who gets you 26 wins a year to root for? Maybe you liked 5-11 and not getting to 8-10 ever.

« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2014, 03:39:23 PM »
Never cared for Goodman;

@GoodmanESPN: Two administrative decisions that have surprised me: DePaul keeping Purnell for another year, Lavin on verge of signing lengthy extension.

@GoodmanESPN: Lavin extremely likable, but went to NCAA tourney first year with Norm Roberts' players - has not gone since, may not go this year. Year 4.

Personally, I think he's pretty awful. Doesn't even try to hide his biased opinions. Question the extension all you want but the whole "went to the tourney with Norms players" is a ridiculous statement

goredmen

« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2014, 03:43:29 PM »
Never cared for Goodman;

Personally, I think he's pretty awful. Doesn't even try to hide his biased opinions. Question the extension all you want but the whole "went to the tourney with Norms players" is a ridiculous statement

So it wasn't Norm's players that Lav took to the tournament?

« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2014, 03:47:17 PM »
Never cared for Goodman;

Thats not the point, he turned a 6-12 team into a 12-6 top 25 team.

Tiznow

« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2014, 03:48:50 PM »
Never cared for Goodman;

It was with Norm's two players that Norm never played.

desco80

« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2014, 04:02:41 PM »
Never cared for Goodman;

Thats not the point, he turned a 6-12 team into a 12-6 top 25 team.

You called it "ridiculous", and what he stated was a fact.  Besides Polee, they were Norm's players.
I agree with you that his comment isn't the whole story - no way Norm gets that team to the tournament.   But what he said is still true.