Villanova Discussion

• 256 replies
Re: Villanova Discussion
« Reply #220 on: January 11, 2014, 04:21:46 PM »
 I know a lot of very dedicated REDMEN fans were at the Garden today, rooting their brains out for a WIN!  I feel badly for them knowing how empty a feeling it is to leave the Garden after a ST John's loss.

i feel badly too, watching from home but, it's the guys and gals who were able to be there, students, alums, fans, New Yorkers all that will have that disappointing ride home..

We've had 15 years of pretty much crappy basketball. A good year in 2010-11 but, otherwise its been terrible .. I just hope and pray we can get the Program back to a competitive level again, with this Coach or another.
There's no disputing though this team has not gotten it done.

jsk

« Reply #221 on: January 11, 2014, 05:18:55 PM »
Just took a quick look at the stats for the game. Interesting to note.........We had one more basket than Villanova (they had 3 more 3's), they scored 11 more points with our 9 more fouls. Non-foul calls are not tracked (LOL).
We missed too many easy shots and read between the lines on my last comment. We played tough but can't convert. Tough loss and a big let down. BUT Villanova is a pretty damn good Team to lose to. Still, I have a sick feeling in my gut.

« Reply #222 on: January 11, 2014, 06:52:24 PM »
I actually made an effort to go to the garden today. Did I expect St. John's to win? Nah. But I seriously wonder if Lavin is the answer to a winning. More disappointed than angry. We have to win the conference tourney for a NCAA bid at this point

« Reply #223 on: January 11, 2014, 07:32:36 PM »
With the Halls near win at Marquette, Providence blow out of GTown and Depauls win over Butler, guess there are no gimees this year as some of our more knowledgeable posters predicted.  In fact it wouldn't surprise me if those teams were favored over us

paultzman

« Reply #224 on: January 11, 2014, 08:02:52 PM »
Enjoyed seeing MJMaher & the guys today. To try to be a bit upbeat about the loss & our street ball team I would be remiss if I failed to point out  the following positives;

..............&...........&.........&.............

Enough said. Before I am thrown out of the house by the bride, I have decided to join Choz on the Isle of Elba, until Hollywood decides to take the San Francisco job after Walters gets fired. Adios!

« Reply #225 on: January 11, 2014, 08:08:06 PM »
I know a lot of very dedicated REDMEN fans were at the Garden today, rooting their brains out for a WIN!  I feel badly for them knowing how empty a feeling it is to leave the Garden after a ST John's loss.

i feel badly too, watching from home but, it's the guys and gals who were able to be there, students, alums, fans, New Yorkers all that will have that disappointing ride home..

We've had 15 years of pretty much crappy basketball. A good year in 2010-11 but, otherwise its been terrible .. I just hope and pray we can get the Program back to a competitive level again, with this Coach or another.
There's no disputing though this team has not gotten it done.

I wasn't going to go today, but last minute I decided to buy a ticket.  Listen, I know today was a fun back and forth game.  But it's tough to justify laying out $55 for a game and really never expecting to win it.  I've said it before and I'll say it again ... this team has not won in the NCAA Tournament since 2000.  Do you realize how awful that is?  St. John's has become a bottom feeder program over the last decade and a half and it's exhausting.

In some ways, I'm starting to fully understand why some fans were in favor of dropping down to the A10.  This team truly does not belong playing with the nation's best.  Outside of Lavin's first year, it hasn't in a really long time.

« Reply #226 on: January 11, 2014, 08:09:59 PM »
I actually made an effort to go to the garden today. Did I expect St. John's to win? Nah. But I seriously wonder if Lavin is the answer to a winning. More disappointed than angry. We have to win the conference tourney for a NCAA bid at this point

I hear you.  I'm not even angry anymore.  Just general apathy at this point.

Kind of expect St. John's to be that team that has an okay season every 4-6 years and then goes back to being irrelevant.

derk

« Reply #227 on: January 11, 2014, 08:25:07 PM »
Nobody kills a fast break better than Phil

Unless your Pointer. Terrible ballhandler. Terrible.

« Reply #229 on: January 11, 2014, 09:05:32 PM »
We have to win the conference tourney for a NCAA bid at this point

Not so.  We have to go 11 - 7 in conference or 10 - 8 with a conf. tournament win or two.  It's possible.  We're going to have a 3 - 3 conference record in a couple of weeks.

« Reply #230 on: January 11, 2014, 09:48:12 PM »
Nova 31 points from the charity stripe, 40 attempts.  SJU 19/24.  Should have hit the bunnies but refs should be disciplined, suspended and /or investigated - awful !

goredmen

« Reply #231 on: January 11, 2014, 10:20:20 PM »

Not so.  We have to go 11 - 7 in conference or 10 - 8 with a conf. tournament win or two.  It's possible.  We're going to have a 3 - 3 conference record in a couple of weeks.

I wish I lived in the same world you do. 10-8 entering the BET doesn't even have us sniffing an at large bid

« Reply #232 on: January 11, 2014, 10:29:59 PM »

Conference record of 10-8 is not getting this team in the NCAA Tournament

« Reply #233 on: January 11, 2014, 10:47:47 PM »
It's not
Nova 31 points from the charity stripe, 40 attempts.  SJU 19/24.  Should have hit the bunnies but refs should be disciplined, suspended and /or investigated - awful !

It's not the refs.  The loss to Nova comes down to this

Villanova= overachievers
Johnnies= underachievers

It's sad but many posters on this and other sites put down Archidiocono and Pinkston when Nova signed them and even went as far as saying that they would never be solid Big East talent.  Actually they were partially right, if they signed with the Johnnies, they would have never developed into solid Big East talents. 

I think that that there are some tough games and bad losses ahead as Lavin will continue to play the " toughest schedule we ever had " game.  Personally, I just can't listen to his BS anymore.

« Reply #234 on: January 11, 2014, 10:49:17 PM »
At this point I will take one win before I can even think 2,3 or 10.

SJUFAN

« Reply #235 on: January 11, 2014, 10:58:30 PM »
It may be difficult to hear because the program has been down for so long. But the reality is this is not something that can be fixed over night. What you want in a program, for sustained success, is to have a couple of borderline NBA type seniors who are a integral part of the rotation every year. Then those seniors are augmented by some talented 1-2 and done players.

If you look at our team, those seniors are Sampson, Obekpa, and Jordan. Unfortunately they're only in their sophomore and freshman years. We will get there, steady improvement. I hope people are beginning to realize that "coaching strategy" is not the issue, even though it could improve, that's not the reason we are struggling. There are glaring deficiency's in our players' game. It is what it is. These are good young men who are working hard. Don't stop supporting them, if we stay the course, things will improve, it may not be this year but its early. The execution was there today, we just couldn't finish.   

« Reply #236 on: January 12, 2014, 12:00:17 AM »

I wish I lived in the same world you do. 10-8 entering the BET doesn't even have us sniffing an at large bid

If we beat Dartmouth we were 10 - 3 non-conf.  10 - 8 conference brings us to 20 - 11.  Two BE tourn. wins would render us 22 - 12 on the season.

22 - 12 doesn't dance?

goredmen

« Reply #237 on: January 12, 2014, 12:20:18 AM »

If we beat Dartmouth we were 10 - 3 non-conf.  10 - 8 conference brings us to 20 - 11.  Two BE tourn. wins would render us 22 - 12 on the season.

22 - 12 doesn't dance?

Not unless we beat nova at nova and in the conference tourney and pick up a couple of wins against Creighton. But if that happens and we still end up 22-12 that means we are going to lose some games we aren't supposed to lose which would hurt.

Last year UVA was 21-11 with an 11-7 ACC record with wins over Duke, UNC and Wisconsin and they didn't make it

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 12:29:17 AM by goredmen »

Tha Kid

« Reply #238 on: January 12, 2014, 04:58:20 AM »

22 - 12 doesn't dance?

Keep in mind we are no longer in the old big east where that record would likely include a bunch of big wins.
"I drink and I know things"

Marillac

« Reply #239 on: January 12, 2014, 06:07:38 AM »

22 - 12 doesn't dance?

Not unless we beat nova at nova and in the conference tourney and pick up a couple of wins against Creighton. But if that happens and we still end up 22-12 that means we are going to lose some games we aren't supposed to lose which would hurt.

Last year UVA was 21-11 with an 11-7 ACC record with wins over Duke, UNC and Wisconsin and they didn't make it

UVA is a terrible example.  They had 21 wins and a few big wins at that, but they were ranked 76th in the RPI.  That will never get it done.  They also had an OOC strength of schedule ranked 299!  They lost to five-win Old Dominion and six other sub-100 RPI ranked schools.  With just 19 wins, St. John's would have an RPI inside of 40. 

The new Big East entered the conference portion of the schedule as the #3 conference in the RPI.  That is not to be taken lightly when it comes to bids.  According to http://www.rpiforecast.com/live-rpi.html St. John's currently has the #3 SOS in the entire country.  That will come back to Earth after this four-game stretch of patsies, but it will still be very strong come March.