Max in the rotation?

• 68 replies

TONYD3

Re: Max in the rotation?
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2014, 08:49:29 PM »
Clearly we disagree . Which is fine. I have one more point to make. The team has to scrimmage in practice. Max has to get his chance there. No one is calling lavin the greatest coach in the world but if max was constantly knocking down shots and scoring points he would have played more during the season so far.
I have to think the other players have out played him. He is between the 9th and11th guy for a reason.

Tha Kid

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2014, 10:36:08 PM »
Clearly we disagree . Which is fine. I have one more point to make. The team has to scrimmage in practice. Max has to get his chance there. No one is calling lavin the greatest coach in the world but if max was constantly knocking down shots and scoring points he would have played more during the season so far.
I have to think the other players have out played him. He is between the 9th and11th guy for a reason.

After coach started ndiaye can you really say w a straight face that practice performance has a bearing on the lineups?
"I drink and I know things"

Foad

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2014, 09:10:04 AM »
After coach started ndiaye can you really say w a straight face that practice performance has a bearing on the lineups?

Only if you believe Lavin. He managed this with a straight face:

"Lavin told his team about the changes only a few minutes before tipoff, and he said they were the result of his team's poor play in the second half against Xavier on Tuesday and because he had a "good premonition" about Ndiaye because of the walk-on's work ethic in practice."

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2014, 09:25:22 AM »
People who don't know what they are doing make things more difficult then they have to be. Lavin pulls crazy stunts with rotation and lineups and calls inappropriate timeouts to show he is doing something. Same thing goes for that silly stunt where he was showing Pointer how to play defense during a timeout last season. He has the media and some fans mesmerized by saying goofy things "hammer to rock". "He is like costco", blah, blah, blah.

Bottom line is at UCLA he could use his one talent to recruit the type of player that could overcome his incredible coaching deficiencies. Here, though he is a good recruiter it is just not enough to overcome him.

paultzman

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2014, 09:37:07 AM »
People who don't know what they are doing make things more difficult then they have to be. Lavin pulls crazy stunts with rotation and lineups and calls inappropriate timeouts to show he is doing something. Same thing goes for that silly stunt where he was showing Pointer how to play defense during a timeout last season. He has the media and some fans mesmerized by saying goofy things "hammer to rock". "He is like costco", blah, blah, blah.

Bottom line is at UCLA he could use his one talent to recruit the type of player that could overcome his incredible coaching deficiencies. Here, though he is a good recruiter it is just not enough to overcome him.

+1

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2014, 09:46:09 AM »
Really all Lavin has to do to have success here is keep things simple. If he does not try to reinvent the wheel and picks a rotation and sticks to it, he is a good enough recruiter to get us to where most of us want to be. Win around 20 and make the tourney every other year or so, 

paultzman

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2014, 10:05:41 AM »
Really all Lavin has to do to have success here is keep things simple. If he does not try to reinvent the wheel and picks a rotation and sticks to it, he is a good enough recruiter to get us to where most of us want to be. Win around 20 and make the tourney every other year or so, 

Provided he continues to recruit aggressively,  I agree with you.

Foad

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2014, 10:21:15 AM »
Quote from: we are sju

Unfortunately those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it. It seems as if Lavin is trying to recreate his (personal) failure at UCLA.

"I'm like a terrorist," Lavin told the [ucla] players before the season began. "You don't know what to expect from me, and I've got nothing to lose." He started three lineups over the first 10 games. For being late, talking back in practice and breaking curfew, misdemeanors that went largely unpunished under Harrick, Lavin benched three starters. Six games into the season, with a mediocre 3-3 record, he began phasing out the offense that UCLA had used almost without interruption since the beginning of the Wooden era: the high-post set, a sequence of precise passes that usually led to midrange jump shots.

The attack he installed, the motion offense, would ultimately flatter a team that ... could move and slash to the hoop. But first came those embarrassing losses. Amazingly (for this was UCLA), they didn't seem to matter. Calls, letters and E-mail coming into the athletic department praised Lavin's body language on the bench and his efforts to discipline the team. On talk radio the kibitzers remarked on how the players were no longer talking trash and questioning calls .... Fans and boosters loved the way .... [lavin] sat down starters even though he had virtually no reserves. "

http://si.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1011492/3/index.htm

Sounds vaguely familiar.

desco80

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2014, 11:48:29 AM »

The troubling part is, that if you believe the rumors.. that isn't a given anymore.
His lone elite attribute as a coach is coming under fire.

TONYD3

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2014, 04:08:39 PM »
Thought max played well in 1st half. He was moving . Setting screens and moving. Think he played to much. But I take back that he shouldn't be on scholarship. Like him playing with pointer at 4 and 2 other guards.

pmg911

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2014, 08:19:08 AM »
Thought max played well in 1st half. He was moving . Setting screens and moving. Think he played to much. But I take back that he shouldn't be on scholarship. Like him playing with pointer at 4 and 2 other guards.

Yesterday's game clearly showed his value. He spreads the court, the  problem was that we couldn't hit a layup

Foad

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2014, 08:53:55 AM »
Yesterday's game clearly showed his value. He spreads the court, the  problem was that we couldn't hit a layup

Exactly. Do not let reality change your preconceived notions. You say Max should play more. When Max finally does plays more he shoots 1 for 5 from the floor, commits 4 fouls, gets beat repeatedly on defense, and the team loses. About this performance there is nothing positive to say. And yet from it you deduce that Max playing more was just the tonic - you were correct! Yay! - and if only the other players were better the outcome might have been different. Question: if the other players were in fact better, wtf would they need Hooper for.

pmg911

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2014, 10:08:11 AM »

Exactly. Do not let reality change your preconceived notions. You say Max should play more. When Max finally does plays more he shoots 1 for 5 from the floor, commits 4 fouls, gets beat repeatedly on defense, and the team loses. About this performance there is nothing positive to say. And yet from it you deduce that Max playing more was just the tonic - you were correct! Yay! - and if only the other players were better the outcome might have been different. Question: if the other players were in fact better, wtf would they need Hooper for.

For a guy that I have come to understand really knows the game, you arguing for arguments sake.

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2014, 12:33:34 PM »
I think a switch is in order and we should now give the 3 point shooting white boy minutes to Marco Brel.  He's leading the team at 75%.

cjfish

« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2014, 02:47:13 PM »

I agree re rotation and recruiting.  If ball movement improves (a key deficiency) hooper will get more looks and become valuable.   he is the only  guy who passes the ball agressively on the permiter, not wasting time by putting the ball on the floor when unnecessary

cjfish

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2014, 02:55:49 PM »

"Lavin told his team about the changes only a few minutes before tipoff, and he said they were the result of his team's poor play in the second half against Xavier on Tuesday and because he had a "good premonition" about Ndiaye because of the walk-on's work ethic in practice."
Ndiaye move is one of he strangest thing Ive seen in 52 years of watching SJU hoops.  Im sure this ploy did wonders for the fragile psyches of players who are performing at a mediocre level.  start a new guy, sure, but not a walkon.   

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2014, 04:03:31 AM »
Wish Max played like the FR Levine on UCLA, just as good a shooter but can step back and get his own shot.

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2014, 08:16:26 AM »

Ndiaye move is one of he strangest thing Ive seen in 52 years of watching SJU hoops.  Im sure this ploy did wonders for the fragile psyches of players who are performing at a mediocre level.  start a new guy, sure, but not a walkon.   

Ndiaye scored the first basket of the game. 

Best play of the year for Max was a pick and pop with DAngelo.  Pro style players should run that pro style offense. 

« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2014, 09:25:39 AM »

For a guy that I have come to understand really knows the game, you arguing for arguments sake.

Pat
Are you his agent or something? Should he be in the rotation? Maybe, but that is number 760 of the things that are wrong. Hooper playing a consistent 15 minutes will have virtually zero effect on us winning or losing.
And for the record I would play Hooper 20 minutes and cut Greene and Branch's minutes but that really would not make a bit of difference.

pmg911

« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2014, 12:36:07 PM »

Pat
Are you his agent or something? Should he be in the rotation? Maybe, but that is number 760 of the things that are wrong. Hooper playing a consistent 15 minutes will have virtually zero effect on us winning or losing.
And for the record I would play Hooper 20 minutes and cut Greene and Branch's minutes but that really would not make a bit of difference.

He creates space on the offensive end and the only other guy on the team that does that is Harrison. Really good shooters are just hard to find these days, we have one and need to at least try to take advantage of it.

It's not his fault that we are not finishing in the lanes...

15 - 20 minutes a game for Hooper would be fantastic....