DePaul Game

• 131 replies
Re: DePaul Game
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 09:55:38 PM »

Most offensive possessions? wouldnt it be most defensive possessions too? What does that even tell us.

Probably just saying those 5 are on the court together more than any other combo.

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 09:58:24 PM »
Can't afford to be without Harrison. Greene will take that as a signal for him to take up scoring burden especially in front of his hometown. 

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 09:59:22 PM »

Most offensive possessions? wouldnt it be most defensive possessions too? What does that even tell us.

Probably just saying those 5 are on the court together more than any other combo.

Haha yea thats what I was getting at 212. Weird way to phrase it
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Tiznow

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 10:14:39 PM »
Isn't it dangerous to fly with a concussion?

paultzman

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 10:17:44 PM »

Not for what is categorized as a minor one according literature on head trauma.

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 10:19:59 PM »

It's also dangerous to play 20 minutes of basketball with a concussion like he did on Saturday. Hopefully it is minor like they say and he can come back. If he has to miss a game or 2 to get healthy that'd be fine by me also. I'd rather lose a game to DePaul than have the kid not be able to remember his name in 40 years because he gets another concussion.

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 11:09:57 PM »

It's also dangerous to play 20 minutes of basketball with a concussion like he did on Saturday. Hopefully it is minor like they say and he can come back. If he has to miss a game or 2 to get healthy that'd be fine by me also. I'd rather lose a game to DePaul than have the kid not be able to remember his name in 40 years because he gets another concussion.

We have significantly more talent than DePaul even without D'Angelo.  There are no excuses any more.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

goredmen

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2014, 11:38:59 PM »
We are favored by 2 points fwiw

Dan

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2014, 11:57:19 PM »
A loss to Depaul would officially begin a disaster season

Poison

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 12:19:06 AM »
Maybe Harrison wouldn't have gotten clobbered if our big men played like men. I think DePaul matches up very well with our soft frontcourt. It's going to be up to Jordan to break out against DePaul, and carry us. Greene and Branch sure as sh*t aren't going to.

Still it seems irresponsible to bring Harrison to Chicago, and not play him because of a concussion. Why put him through that? Sounds to me like it's pretty minor, but we'll see.

Foad

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2014, 09:04:38 AM »
Maybe Harrison wouldn't have gotten clobbered if our big men played like men.

It was Pointer who stomped on Harrison's head. How would his lack of butch-ness effected that?

Foad

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2014, 09:08:35 AM »
Can't afford to be without Harrison. Greene will take that as a signal for him to take up scoring burden especially in front of his hometown. 

Some of you last year questioned Lavin's suspension of Harrison. Looks pretty smart now, as the team has experience playing without him.

Greene was 0-5 in Chicago last year and played 13 minutes before being benched for being completely out of control. Look for him to bounce back with one of his patented 2-11, 22 minute performances.

desco80

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2014, 10:25:16 AM »
It is worth mentioning that Depaul is also the site of Jamal Branch's best showing as a collegiate athlete.
18 pts, 3ast, 4steals and shot 65% from the floor.

I hope he's at least given an opportunity to have a repeat performance. 

Poison

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2014, 03:15:58 PM »
Maybe Harrison wouldn't have gotten clobbered if our big men played like men.

It was Pointer who stomped on Harrison's head. How would his lack of butch-ness effected that?

Where did I say that Harrison is or isn't butch? He might be spending less time boxing out to grab rebounds if our bigs did their part. That was my point. Why is our 6'2 shooting guard the only defender who puts a body on an opposing player?

Pointer plays like he's in high school gym class. He, and several other players have no idea where they should be. He just waits for a shot to go up so he can try and block it. After which, he's off balance and likely to trip over who knows what? This time, it was more costly than usual.

Foad

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2014, 03:37:29 PM »
Where did I say that Harrison is or isn't butch? He might be spending less time boxing out to grab rebounds if our bigs did their part. That was my point. Why is our 6'2 shooting guard the only defender who puts a body on an opposing player?

Pointer plays like he's in high school gym class. He, and several other players have no idea where they should be. He just waits for a shot to go up so he can try and block it. After which, he's off balance and likely to trip over who knows what? This time, it was more costly than usual.

You said our big men do not play like men. I wondered how their (in this case Pointer's) playing like more of a man would have resulted in his not stomping on Harrison's head. I did not reference Harrison's butchiosity - I find him quite butch, about the butchest guy on the team - and did not think you did either.

Agree about Pointer. The worst thing that happened to him in his college career was hitting the game winner against SJU. Now he plays every play like its an audition for ESPN's top ten list. As an astute observer wrote elsewhere:

"he could be a pretty good basketball player if he'd just stop trying to be a great one. Rafferty called it "false hustle," but it seems to me something more than that: he tries to make sports center plays when mundane ones would suffice. (For example: he lets players get past him on defense so he can block the shot at the rim.) In an event that was eerily similar to one last year where he went all Tonya Harding on Harrison's leg during a scrum out of bounds, Pointer this time stomped on Harrison's face while the latter lay defenseless on the ground. Predictably Pointer was off balance and out of control while futilely attempting to slap a shot to Canarsie"

Great minds? Strange bedfellows? Hopefully not the latter, that wouldn't be butch at all.

paultzman

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2014, 04:21:07 PM »
@rumbleSBN: St. John's vs DePaul: What does St. John's need to do for the W? Who needs to shine? http://t.co/aTxrNkETjZ

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2014, 04:56:24 PM »
Article states D Lo is out , any confirmation ?

jr49

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2014, 05:24:36 PM »

Some of you last year questioned Lavin's suspension of Harrison. Looks pretty smart now, as the team has experience playing without him.

Greene was 0-5 in Chicago last year and played 13 minutes before being benched for being completely out of control. Look for him to bounce back with one of his patented 2-11, 22 minute performances.
Maybe I'm not seeing stats right, or killing Phil the thing to do. Sometimes I wanna kill him but I see he's hitting 459 from the field, and 367 from 3. That possible?  How can his 2 for 11 number be patented? 

paultzman

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2014, 06:22:14 PM »
@FarcoSJU: Coming close to an hour before tip-off and the status of St. John's leading scorer D'Angelo Harrison is still up in the air #sjubb

paultzman

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2014, 06:39:31 PM »
@StJohnsBBall: Harrison passed his post-concussive tests in the past three days and will get the start tonight, while being closely monitored by #sjubb.