Newsday: SJU 8th best metro area team

• 9 replies

Poison

Re: Newsday: SJU 8th best metro area team
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 12:41:01 AM »
That rag can't be taken seriously. That is pathetic.

paultzman

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 09:33:07 AM »
Only one standings column to worry about. All this other stuff is  garbage.

desco80

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 09:58:28 AM »
It looks like the poll is about how you're doing relative to the league you are in.    Does anyone doubt that, to this point, Manhattan is having a better season than we are?

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 10:02:05 AM »
It looks like the poll is about how you're doing relative to the league you are in.    Does anyone doubt that, to this point, Manhattan is having a better season than we are?
In terms of probability to make the tournament, I'd say they are but just slightly.  Do you think they can get an at large bid if they do not get the AQ?  Kenpom has SJU at 66 and Manhattan at 71, and I still believe that to be the most accurate measure out out there.

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 10:13:48 AM »
Evidently, this guy missed the Wagner game from a couple of months ago, which we won fairly easily.

desco80

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 10:21:40 AM »
In terms of probability to make the tournament, I'd say they are but just slightly.  Do you think they can get an at large bid if they do not get the AQ?  Kenpom has SJU at 66 and Manhattan at 71, and I still believe that to be the most accurate measure out out there.

I don't know.   I don't know the MAAC well enough to know if they have a chance at multiple bids, but I agree just looking at their schedule that no they probably won't get an at large bid if they don't win the league.

I'm just not that surprised by the poll results.   It's not comparing apples to applies, and people need to understand that.
But based on the schedule they play, yes, Manhattan is doing well.   

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 10:31:57 AM »
Who cares?  Look, we know that we would beat anyone in this area.  If we played those teams 10 teams, we would probably win 8 or 9.  So would Seton Hall when everyone is healthy.  But we don't play in a league with the likes of those teams.  It is apples and oranges in most years, absent a team like Iona a few years ago who had a few guys who were legit Big East players.  What matters to me is how we are doing relative to the rest of the Big East and other high majors.  I could care less about whether we would beat the various local mid major schools.

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 10:41:26 AM »
Newsday is a joke for a newspaper and this poll is about what you should expect from such a rag.

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 02:57:42 PM »
Incomplete and terrible assessments. Doesn't even include all local teams. Joke article IMO.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 02:58:28 PM by romiSJU »