Did some of you really think....

• 59 replies
Did some of you really think....
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:51:41 PM »
We were going to win 25 and make the sweet 16? Or were you saying that so you would be pissed off when it did not happen?  Because I had us winning around 20 and sneaking in as a bubble team and I am shocked at how bad we are. You guys predicting the Sweet 16 must be comatose at this point. Would be like expecting to go out with someone who looks like Scarlett Johanson on a blind date and Andrew Luck shows up.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:52:15 PM by we are sju »

desco80

Re: Did some of you really think....
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 10:00:57 PM »
I'm like you, I expected us to sneak in as a bubble team, and then maybe win a game or two, or maybe not.   But I thought we'd be a bubble team that got in.

The biggest surprise to me is not that we've lost some games, but that we've never really seen the upside of this team.  I thought we would be inconsistent and lose some games to teams we should beat, but offset that with a few exciting upsets.   Where are the games when we look good?

The being consistently bad is the part that surprises me.  I thought we'd have our moments, and we really haven't.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 10:07:55 PM »
Thought we'd be a 20-22 win team.  I didn't expect the Penn State loss and believed they'd win 11 in conference play.

My gut feeling is they win 8 more games this season (7 conference wins and the game against Dartmouth).  It'll be a very disappointing year, but it won't be enough to cost Lavin his job.

goredmen

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 10:11:25 PM »
We should have known this is the type of team we were gonna be after the Penn state game. The optimists tried to spin that one by saying Penn state wasn't a bad team but they aren't good and we shouldn't have lost to them in our own backyard. Looking back now that should have been a bigger wake up call than it was as far as expectations were concerned

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 10:42:37 PM »
We should have known this is the type of team we were gonna be after the Penn state game. The optimists tried to spin that one by saying Penn state wasn't a bad team but they aren't good and we shouldn't have lost to them in our own backyard. Looking back now that should have been a bigger wake up call than it was as far as expectations were concerned

Agree, our non conference schedule outside of the Cuse and Wisconsin was a joke and we struggled with many of those teams but when anyone dared to be concerned they were called out, ridiculed or were said to be non fans.  Some posters on the other site were even kicked off for expressing such concerns while the resident boys club led by the site leader bullied many into submission to where some even apologized for having any doubts about this team.  The signs were there early on with this team, only a blind optimist or idiot couldn't see it, as close games to weak opponents were excused by the Lavin rhetoric of how they were a work in progress.  Work in progress?  The nucleus of this team has played together for three years now and there is no improvement in sight. When ware things supposed to get better, by next decade?

That being said, as a long time fan of this program, I find the whole thing quite sad, and I even feel bad for coach Lavin. You see, I believe that coach Lavin wanted to do a good job, he just didn't know how.  He always worked with a boat load of talent to where he could just throw the balls out most of the time and come up with a win. Did he ever really have to out coach an opponent to survive, I doubt it.  So what you get is whats happening now and all the snake oil, excuses, one liners etc. isn't going to get the job done.  And if you don't believe that recruiting is going to drop off, you are kidding yourself, as I am certain that rival coaches are already pointing to the dismal season we are having with all of the talent that  we have.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 01:38:07 AM »
I thought 22+ and some noise in the tourny. I am falling apart watching this team and this coach. Dumb and Dumber
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 01:48:16 AM »
We were going to win 25 and make the sweet 16? Or were you saying that so you would be pissed off when it did not happen?  Because I had us winning around 20 and sneaking in as a bubble team and I am shocked at how bad we are. You guys predicting the Sweet 16 must be comatose at this point. Would be like expecting to go out with someone who looks like Scarlett Johanson on a blind date and Andrew Luck shows up.

Say what you want about a date with Andrew Luck,but at least he'd get you to the play-offs.

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 12:50:28 PM »
Dumb and Dumber

Sir with no love with a second half tech resulting in a 5 point play for DePaul in a 2 point loss?  Oh my!

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 01:00:10 PM »
Dumb and Dumber

Sir with no love with a second half tech resulting in a 5 point play for DePaul in a 2 point loss?  Oh my!

I said on the other board he should be suspended for five games because of stupidity. At least your guy doesnt let his emotions get the best of him, thats about all I can say about him following that game though ;)

Foad

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 01:33:51 PM »
At least your guy doesnt let his emotions get the best of him

That's because he doesn't play with any.

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 01:36:14 PM »
At least your guy doesnt let his emotions get the best of him

That's because he doesn't play with any.

How did you know who I was talking about "0: :-)

Foad

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 01:38:25 PM »
How did you know who I was talking about

No turnovers again yesterday. Quite the feat.

ras

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 03:21:26 PM »
That's what really hurts this year .Most expected us to at least make the tourney ,Now we are 0 -4. The same thing worked in reverse in 2010. Nobody expected much from that team. They overachieved, relative to our expectations, and that is one  of the reasons that was a special year.

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 07:16:54 PM »
Ordinarily,  I would be leaping in like Lester to defend my beloved Rectangle,  but I can't...so I shant.  Phil has not played up to his expected standards since 12/21 against Youngstown.  He, along with others, has not been part of the solution...so he's been part of the problem.  "How do you think I feel?  Betrayed, bewildered... wrong response?"

In the past I've always come with strong, logical, undeniable statistical evidence to write the truth against the immenent threat of Phil bashing.  Not today.  Mean Joe's play of late has been awful,  particularly the last two.

MCNPA

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 07:50:39 PM »
I thought we'd be 20+ wins and go a round or so in the tourney.  We are disjointed and nowhere near where I thought we'd be.  I'm ready for lacrosse season to start.  Hard watching this stuff every year.

boo3

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 08:03:08 PM »
I thought we'd be 20+ wins and go a round or so in the tourney.  We are disjointed and nowhere near where I thought we'd be.  I'm ready for lacrosse season to start.  Hard watching this stuff every year.

..and that was a totally rational and realistic expectation,  I'm right there with you..  It has been tremendously disappointing season. 

Time to just suck it up and take it from all the "real fans" out there as they have their " I told you so" parade..  Enjoy boys...and girl.. ;)

uwsfan

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 08:09:01 PM »

Sneaking in as a bubble team with 20 wins is what LAST YEARS team should have accomplished.
Top 3 in this new, weaker conference and top-25 ranking with sweet-16 potential was a realistic expectation for this season and is exactly where the team would be right now with a quality coach.

TONYD3

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 08:11:11 PM »
I don't think lavin is a bad coach . I think he is dumb. We fight and argue on these boards. Some of our ideas out very different . But many atleast make some sense. lavin doesn't seem to have a clue of what's going on. I absolutely believe if he wasn't there yesterday we win. Players aren't great but they are not bad . The second half vs cuse showed me we can play with anyone in the country .
When u need a stop why is hooper in? Down the stretch why is gift in? I think gift is terrible, but I am not the coach. If coach thinks gift is good why not play him in the 1st half.
Is Greene really better then branch, I don't think so.
What are the assistants doing ? I have been an assistant for hs teams. I would absolutely question some his ridiculus ideas. Do they or are they dumb also?
If lavin had diarrhea last night we win by atleast 8
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 08:12:35 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 09:44:02 PM »

..and that was a totally rational and realistic expectation,  I'm right there with you..  It has been tremendously disappointing season. 

Time to just suck it up and take it from all the "real fans" out there as they have their " I told you so" parade..  Enjoy boys...and girl.. ;)

I don't enjoy any of this garbage.  Who wants to root for an underachieving program?  I do however think the reason that we are in this position is that we as fans are so used to mediocrity that is has actually become acceptable. The writing was on the wall last year as Lavin made one excuse after another for all of the poor performances.  The BS about the youngest team in the country was complete nonsense, but the dopes (fans????????????) on the SJU websites bought into the crap and chastised those of us with enough brains who saw through it.  So now we hear more garbage about being ready in February. what a tough schedule we have as I believe Lavin stated we have the toughest schedule ever???  Realfans or no real fans, the true fans of this program will never accept mediocrity, while the bogus fakes throw such expressions around for realistic criticisms as "shit stirrers, straw man" etc.   I would rather be thrown off a site 10,000 times then ever lower my standards or expectations for my alma matter's basketball program.

Peace

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 10:42:56 PM »
I don't think lavin is a bad coach . I think he is dumb. We fight and argue on these boards. Some of our ideas out very different . But many atleast make some sense. lavin doesn't seem to have a clue of what's going on. I absolutely believe if he wasn't there yesterday we win. Players aren't great but they are not bad . The second half vs cuse showed me we can play with anyone in the country .
When u need a stop why is hooper in? Down the stretch why is gift in? I think gift is terrible, but I am not the coach. If coach thinks gift is good why not play him in the 1st half.
Is Greene really better then branch, I don't think so.
What are the assistants doing ? I have been an assistant for hs teams. I would absolutely question some his ridiculus ideas. Do they or are they dumb also?
If lavin had diarrhea last night we win by atleast 8

I though Gift really helped us in the second half. And I have been very critical of him and Lavin.