Did some of you really think....

• 59 replies

Foad

Re: Did some of you really think....
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 09:34:29 AM »
I don't think lavin is a bad coach . I think he is dumb.

Post of the year

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 09:44:45 AM »
I don't think lavin is a bad coach . I think he is dumb.

Post of the year

Well I guess someone could be a coaching savant. I wouldn't classify Lavin as that however.

TONYD3

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 11:11:31 AM »
I don't think lavin is a bad coach . I think he is dumb. We fight and argue on these boards. Some of our ideas out very different . But many atleast make some sense. lavin doesn't seem to have a clue of what's going on. I absolutely believe if he wasn't there yesterday we win. Players aren't great but they are not bad . The second half vs cuse showed me we can play with anyone in the country .
When u need a stop why is hooper in? Down the stretch why is gift in? I think gift is terrible, but I am not the coach. If coach thinks gift is good why not play him in the 1st half.
Is Greene really better then branch, I don't think so.
What are the assistants doing ? I have been an assistant for hs teams. I would absolutely question some his ridiculus ideas. Do they or are they dumb also?
If lavin had diarrhea last night we win by atleast 8

I though Gift really helped us in the second half. And I have been very critical of him and Lavin.
agree. gift can help. But if you are losing with less then a minute to play and need a basket, why is he in?

Moose

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 11:14:13 AM »
I don't think lavin is a bad coach . I think he is dumb. We fight and argue on these boards. Some of our ideas out very different . But many atleast make some sense. lavin doesn't seem to have a clue of what's going on. I absolutely believe if he wasn't there yesterday we win. Players aren't great but they are not bad . The second half vs cuse showed me we can play with anyone in the country .
When u need a stop why is hooper in? Down the stretch why is gift in? I think gift is terrible, but I am not the coach. If coach thinks gift is good why not play him in the 1st half.
What are the assistants doing ? I have been an assistant for hs teams. I would absolutely question some his ridiculus ideas. Do they or are they dumb also?

I though Gift really helped us in the second half. And I have been very critical of him and Lavin.
agree. gift can help. But if you are losing with less then a minute to play and need a basket, why is he in?

While not the ideal lineup at the end with Gift and Max in the game a message was being sent.  3 guys in the final minutes who were glued to the bench were Chris (who didn't play that well defensively blocks aside.), Dom (picking up technicals) and Karr (lost in another stratosphere).  Was it the right move?  That I don't know.  But those 3 clearly weren't helping.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 11:26:03 AM »

While not the ideal lineup at the end with Gift and Max in the game a message was being sent.  3 guys in the final minutes who were glued to the bench were Chris (who didn't play that well defensively blocks aside.), Dom (picking up technicals) and Karr (lost in another stratosphere).  Was it the right move?  That I don't know.  But those 3 clearly weren't helping.

Sampson actually makes me nervous at the end of games anyway. People arguing for Branch is understandable but then that takes the ball out of Jordan's hands. Yes Jordan had some TO's but he was our 2nd best player for most of the game.

I am not in the  Great White Decoy camp so I didn't really want him out there, but I also didn't want Greene and I don't think going big with CO instead of the Decoy would have worked. So I really can't kill Lavin for that.

I think CO is getting shafted somewhat, but I also agree that GG was playing well.

All in all you can always argue someone should have played instead of someone else but that is true with any coach, even good ones. I think as long as your star players are in at the end you can't really bitch. I don't blame Lavin for the Depaul loss except for maybe hishabit of TO wasting.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:26:54 AM by we are sju »

Foad

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 11:49:05 AM »
a message was being sent.

In 40 years of watching college basketball I've never seen a coach send so many messages to so many players to so little effect.  Lavin suspended Harrison to send a message. He suspended Jordan to send a message. He suspended Obekpa to send a message. He activated Balamou to send a message. He started walk ons last year to send a message. He started walk ons this year to send a message. At a certain point you have to conclude that either the message is gobbledy-gook, the messenger is incoherent, or the mechanism by which the message is communicated is ineffective.

Moose

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2014, 11:55:03 AM »
a message was being sent.

In 40 years of watching college basketball I've never seen a coach send so many messages to so many players to so little effect.  Lavin suspended Harrison to send a message. He suspended Jordan to send a message. He suspended Obekpa to send a message. He activated Balamou to send a message. He started walk ons last year to send a message. He started walk ons this year to send a message. At a certain point you have to conclude that either the message is gobbledy-gook, the messenger is incoherent, or the mechanism by which the message is communicated is ineffective.

I agree wholeheartedly.  And I don't know if he was sending a message.  I just was able to guess why those 3 in particular were glued to the bench.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Foad

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2014, 12:10:14 PM »
I don't know if he was sending a message.

I don't think he's sending a message. I think he's scared that if puts his best team on the floor and they lose he'll be the one that gets blamed. And so he assigns blame to his players in advance - and gets praised for his bravery and integrity. The worst thing about him - worse than his coaching, which is saying something - is what a fraud he is. He makes Mike Jarvis look sincere.

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2014, 12:34:02 PM »

I don't think he's sending a message. I think he's scared that if puts his best team on the floor and they lose he'll be the one that gets blamed. And so he assigns blame to his players in advance - and gets praised for his bravery and integrity. The worst thing about him - worse than his coaching, which is saying something - is what a fraud he is. He makes Mike Jarvis look sincere.

I think Lavin thinks it is being creative. Like look at how daring I am starting a walkon and a guy I was supposed to redshirt. It is the same thing with that stunt last year where he pulled Dom onto the court during a TO to show him the proper way to be in a defensive stance or how to do the chicken dance. The same with his exagerated loud clapping 

paultzman

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2014, 12:40:04 PM »

I think Lavin thinks it is being creative. Like look at how daring I am starting a walkon and a guy I was supposed to redshirt. It is the same thing with that stunt last year where he pulled Dom onto the court during a TO to show him the proper way to be in a defensive stance or how to do the chicken dance. The same with his exagerated loud clapping 

The Pointer "coaching" routine was not only embarrassing, but bizarre. When camera on Lav expect anything. Btw, if Lav ever disappears, won't that damage your comedy routines? He seems to consistently supply you with material. Ha

SJUFAN

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2014, 12:42:59 PM »
I HOPED the team would play better, but hope doesn't win ball games. Expecting them to be a sweet 16 team and if that doesn't happen its because Lavin can't coach I can't agree with. This expectation based on the fact we have 6 players ranked in the top 100 out of HS is fool's gold.  At what point does the actual skill of the players' determine the outcome of a game? Is Michael Olowokandi supposed to be a better player than Dirk Nowitzki, Vince Carter, and Paul Pierce because he was drafted first overall in there draft class? If Jim Boeheim was coaching this team do you think they would be pressing/trapping 94 feet? or become great rebounders, shooters, passers, and ball handlers?

There are some things Lavin may do that I disagree with, but that is not the reason why we are losing. Depaul grabbed 17 offensive rebounds. Jordan and Harrison had as many rebounds as Sampson, Sanchez, Obekpa, and Pointer combined.   

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2014, 12:46:01 PM »

The Pointer "coaching" routine was not only embarrassing, but bizarre. When camera on Lav expect anything. Btw, if Lav ever disappears, won't that damage your comedy routines? He seems to consistently supply you with material. Ha

Since I have been posting I have been very "fortunate" to have good material to work with. Norm, Geno, Lavin, circular offenses etc. No matter what happens, I am certain there will always be material for me.

Foad

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2014, 12:47:59 PM »
If Jim Boeheim was coaching this team

They wouldn't be 0 and 4 in the Big East.

paultzman

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2014, 12:48:37 PM »
I HOPED the team would play better, but hope doesn't win ball games. Expecting them to be a sweet 16 team and if that doesn't happen its because Lavin can't coach I can't agree with. This expectation based on the fact we have 6 players ranked in the top 100 out of HS is fool's gold.  At what point does the actual skill of the players' determine the outcome of a game? Is Michael Olowokandi supposed to be a better player than Dirk Nowitzki, Vince Carter, and Paul Pierce because he was drafted first overall in there draft class? If Jim Boeheim was coaching this team do you think they would be pressing/trapping 94 feet? or become great rebounders, shooters, passers, and ball handlers?

There are some things Lavin may do that I disagree with, but that is not the reason why we are losing. Depaul grabbed 17 offensive rebounds. Jordan and Harrison had as many rebounds as Sampson, Sanchez, Obekpa, and Pointer combined.   

Accepting your points, are you confident that Lavin has the commitment and ability to get this team to a consistently competitive level on a regular basis? Thanks.

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 01:04:02 PM »

Other than Harrison (and Branch when he was in there early on), I thought Gift gave us the most.  Rysheed played well but also made some costly mistakes.  Gift's defense was terrific.

SJUFAN

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2014, 03:08:21 PM »

Accepting your points, are you confident that Lavin has the commitment and ability to get this team to a consistently competitive level on a regular basis? Thanks.

I believe he can, but i'm not married to that idea. I wish he shorten his rotations, and his love affair with Greene drives me nuts, but from an X's and O's stand point I don't see what the hoopla is about. I see a team of players' who fail to execute, and I believe that is what most likely contributes to his eratic line ups and substitution patterns.

These next two years and recruiting classes will determine if Lavin is capable of sustained success. The best way is to have your core players as seniors and juniors, augmented by some young talent. Alot will be determined by how well Obekpa and Sampson develops.   

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2014, 03:10:38 PM »
Problem is his messages are all encoded and somebody lost the decoder ring.

paultzman

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 03:16:29 PM »

I believe he can, but i'm not married to that idea. I wish he shorten his rotations, and his love affair with Greene drives me nuts, but from an X's and O's stand point I don't see what the hoopla is about. I see a team of players' who fail to execute, and I believe that is what most likely contributes to his eratic line ups and substitution patterns.

These next two years and recruiting classes will determine if Lavin is capable of sustained success. The best way is to have your core players as seniors and juniors, augmented by some young talent. Alot will be determined by how well Obekpa and Sampson develops.   

Fair enough. Thanks!

desco80

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2014, 03:49:54 PM »

Do talent evaluators miss on some guys?  Sure.
But what are the odds they overrated all 6 of our best recruits?   That seems likely an unlikely confluence of events, that all of our best recruits would be so drastically overrated by coaches and scouts.

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2014, 03:55:59 PM »
It's important to look at RSCI when evaluating our recruits, i'm taking a look back

http://www.rscihoops.com/

35- Dom Pointer - I'd say he was a bit over-rated here due to his raw athletic ability, and I'm sure he could utterly dominate HS ball with that.
38 - Maurice Harkless -  He was undervalued, and proved that year 1
40 - Jakarr Sampson - I'd say that's pretty much on point, if he can put together a few more aspects of his game, thats about right.
47 - Deangelo Harrison - UNDERRATED
52- Jamaal Branch -  Jury still out, but at this point I would say he has not performed to that ranking.
73 - Amir Garrett - Overrated due to superior athletic ability and talent, just like Dom, he could completely dominate HS kids.

69 - Chris Obekpa -  Jury is still out on him, I'd say he is proving his worth right around that spot, some good potential but glaring holes in the kids game
79 - Jakarr Sampson - he makes the list again as this is when he truly came out, and this rating is pretty spot on.

26 - Rysheed Jordan - Proving his value there, and maybe a bit underrated when looking back.

So I'd say it's been pretty hit or miss when it comes to looking at whether our dudes have panned out. Phil Greene was not highly touted and did not make any RSCI lists.