Head Coaching Job

• 44 replies
Re: Head Coaching Job
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 09:56:34 AM »
Amakar? Ew that's as bad as when al skinner almost came here. I'll pass

this comment has a terrible tone whether intentional or not...
I stand by my comments. At the time lavin was the best hire the school made. Donovan and Hewitt said no which wasn't a surprise.  Al skinner and amakar are overrated sorry.

paultzman

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 09:59:31 AM »
Lavin will not get fired. Lavin should not get fired! Norm was given 6 years, then Lavin should be given at least 10 years. Now Lavin quitting would not shock me. However if he leaves after a season where we go say 13-18 or something like that then he would probbaly never get another coaching job if that is what he chooses to do.

A more likely scenerio is a couple kids transfer after this season thus shortening the rotations for Lavin by necessity. With less tinkering to do and a senior laden team Lavin gets the team into the tourney. After next season I could then see Lavin walking off into the sunset, but at least the next coach would be taking over a tourney team, albeit one that would be in rebuilding mode.

Agree he won't be fired, but could choose to leave. If that plays out, the new coach will probably have a sparse roster after next season,  if my instincts about a less than stellar 14 & 15 recruiting haul are correct. Clearly, if season is not turned around, that will not be a positive in getting Briscoes & Diallos of the world. Not "doomed", but perhaps on heels of new rebuilding plan. It just feels there is something very strange going on here or maybe I am overreacting.

I dont want to be a troll, but do you know who could come in tomorrow and still land Briscoe and Diallo?  Orlando A

I have two pet peeves regarding sju: give Branch an opportunity to play nearly a full game; and make Antigua a canidate in the next coaching search, whenever that may be.

Re: pet peeve # 1, it is absolutely stunning to me that a guy with three assists,  nice penetration & sold play in first half was not rewarded in second half. Admittedly not a Greene fan , but his stat line was no points, assists or rebounds. Why not reward Branch  with start in second half and give him ample minutes. Would that not be motivating? Lastly, Greene really struggled defensively & for whatever reason Branch plays well at DePaul. Oh well.

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 10:04:43 AM »
Lavin will not get fired. Lavin should not get fired! Norm was given 6 years, then Lavin should be given at least 10 years. Now Lavin quitting would not shock me. However if he leaves after a season where we go say 13-18 or something like that then he would probbaly never get another coaching job if that is what he chooses to do.

A more likely scenerio is a couple kids transfer after this season thus shortening the rotations for Lavin by necessity. With less tinkering to do and a senior laden team Lavin gets the team into the tourney. After next season I could then see Lavin walking off into the sunset, but at least the next coach would be taking over a tourney team, albeit one that would be in rebuilding mode.

Agree he won't be fired, but could choose to leave. If that plays out, the new coach will probably have a sparse roster after next season,  if my instincts about a less than stellar 14 & 15 recruiting haul are correct. Clearly, if season is not turned around, that will not be a positive in getting Briscoes & Diallos of the world. Not "doomed", but perhaps on heels of new rebuilding plan. It just feels there is something very strange going on here or maybe I am overreacting.

I dont want to be a troll, but do you know who could come in tomorrow and still land Briscoe and Diallo?  Orlando A

I have two pet peeves regarding sju: give Branch an opportunity to play nearly a full game; and make Antigua a canidate in the next coaching search, whenever that may be.

Re: pet peeve # 1, it is absolutely stunning to me that a guy with three assists,  nice penetration & sold play in first half was not rewarded in second half. Admittedly not a Greene fan , but his stat line was no points, assists or rebounds. Why not reward Branch  with start in second half and give him ample minutes. Would that not be motivating? Lastly, Greene really struggled defensively & for whatever reason Branch plays well at DePaul. Oh well.

The easist thing for a coach to do is figure out who his best players are and play them. The scariest part of Lavin's coaching is that Lavin does not seem capable of this easy task. If Lavin could just figure out who his core 8 players are, I think it would be a huge improvement.

desco80

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 10:21:19 AM »

Yea, I just don't understand it.   I know Branch isn't an elite point guard, he obviously makes his share of mistakes.   But he does enough well to earn some more playing time.    I just want to see him get a chance to play a full game, and see what happens.   With the amount of lineup tinkering Lavin has done, I don't think that's asking too much.

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 10:35:16 AM »
I do not think Tommy Amaker is overrated. He has done a great job at Harvard. They were pulling banners down at Michigan when he was there not his fault. I thought he was ok at the Hall which was his HC job did good things there.

ras

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 10:55:43 AM »

I was wondering the same thing > Im no coach, but it seemed to me if Greene was unproductive, why not give some of his minutes to Branch who was productive..  Dom got a costly T, which he deserved ,but when he played ,which was minimal he had a lot of fire and was very productive. I would of also given Dom some of Greenes minutes the second half.

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 11:18:59 AM »
We need a guy who can recruit the city.  Lavin made us believe he was going to do that but he has come up with one NY recruit in 4 years.  I am sorry but I like having a couple city players on the team.

Do not tell me Sanchez, Bougault, Opekba and Balamou are local recruits because they are the furthest thing from.  They are transplants who attended prep school or JC locally which doesn't mean a thing.  All 3 JC kids Lavin has brought in have been a bust.  Norm gets very little credit but bringing in players like Dwight Hardy and Justin Brownlee was huge.  These were JC kids who could actually play.

Lavin stepped into an absolute dream situation and has failed miserably.  Norm stepped into a terrible situation and did things the right way to hand the baton off to the next coach and let them succeed.  We need a new leader and different types of players.

I know a lot of guys from in here were worried about how many guys we were going to lose to the pros after this year well stop worrying because the only possible pro on this roster is Jordan and he would be a complete fool to enter the draft.

Harrison will never make it in the pros, Opekba is the most one dimensional player of all time, and Sampson is showing us what he is about this year.  Jordan shows a lot of potential but when he gets hot he acts like it is 1 against 5 and forgets he has teammates.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:21:47 AM by LavNeeds2go »

desco80

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 11:34:16 AM »

You are really on the Antigua bandwagon, huh?

No head coaching experience.  I don't want to go down that path again.  (And no I don't count whatever he has done with Dominican National Team)

Yea I'am, I know the no HC experience is a concern but I think he's young and hungry and is already an elite recruiter.   And you could say well Lav was known as an elite recruiter - and that's true, but Lav was known as being full of hot air too, and you can say Antigua doesn't have HC experience,  but he's certainly not known for being full of bs.
And  what more can you really ask for in an assistant who's making the jump to HC?
Former player - has been an assistant under good coaches at good programs - has recruited nba talent - been on the sidelines for multiple Final Fours - and he has been a head coach on the international level.    Short of being a hc what else can he do?

When you throw in the fact that he's a nyc guy I think ti becomes a no-brainer to at least put him on the short list.
I could see him being this generation's Donovan.  Good young coach who played, tutored under a mentor, and recruited well.   

FWIW though my 1(b) would be Maisello.   Interview them both and then make a decision, they each bring a lot to the table.

jr49

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 11:40:36 AM »
Mistake playing Dlo 36 last nite and expecting to have anything left. Lavs will bring in players who don't give game back when he puts them in position to win. Next group will be better if Lavs wants to stay.

Moose

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 11:41:59 AM »

You are really on the Antigua bandwagon, huh?

No head coaching experience.  I don't want to go down that path again.  (And no I don't count whatever he has done with Dominican National Team)

Yea I'am, I know the no HC experience is a concern but I think he's young and hungry and is already an elite recruiter.   And you could say well Lav was known as an elite recruiter - and that's true, but Lav was known as being full of hot air too, and you can say Antigua doesn't have HC experience,  but he's certainly not known for being full of bs.
And  what more can you really ask for in an assistant who's making the jump to HC?
Former player - has been an assistant under good coaches at good programs - has recruited nba talent - been on the sidelines for multiple Final Fours - and he has been a head coach on the international level.    Short of being a hc what else can he do?

When you throw in the fact that he's a nyc guy I think ti becomes a no-brainer to at least put him on the short list.
I could see him being this generation's Donovan.  Good young coach who played, tutored under a mentor, and recruited well.   

FWIW though my 1(b) would be Maisello.   Interview them both and then make a decision, they each bring a lot to the table.

I'm going to poke around with Antigua a bit.
Also want to read that feature you posted on Redmen about him.
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2014, 11:42:49 AM »
But I'll stop harping on it Moose.   

Honestly though, I think after a bad loss there are boosters who come on and at least read the boards.   Does their input really matter?  Idk
But I want to at least plant the idea of this guy, so maybe, some day, in some conversation his name gets mentioned.   It probably won't, but you never know.   
Fans calling WFAN are the reason the Mets went out and got Piazza. 

Moose

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2014, 11:44:32 AM »
But I'll stop harping on it Moose.   

Honestly though, I think after a bad loss there are boosters who come on and at least read the boards.   Does their input really matter?  Idk
But I want to at least plant the idea of this guy, so maybe, some day, in some conversation his name gets mentioned.   It probably won't, but you never know.   
Fans calling WFAN are the reason the Mets went out and got Piazza. 

It's all good.  I think we should all make our avatars who our coach would be.  Would be pretty funny.
Remember who broke the Slice news

gman

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2014, 11:50:30 AM »
If we are going the assistant route then boo Richardson should be mentioned. No idea his game coaching schools but I bet he would recruit the hell out of the area.

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2014, 12:41:02 PM »

Unbelievable, guy plays the least amount of minutes out of anyone who got in. 10 close to great minutes and doesnt get a shot in the second half for more than a couple trips up the court. I killed my voice yelling at lavin through the TV while watching on tape delay. I ask my self whats the point but I still do it over and over again.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

LJSA

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2014, 12:44:54 PM »
Lavin's here next season and probably one after that too unless he leaves on his own.

That said, the next coach if there indeed is one anytime soon will depend on how much money there is. If Repole is still aboard, I think we'd take two shots at the big time, then choose from Mas, Archie, Hurley, or Pikiell if the huge names fail.

Poison

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2014, 01:02:39 PM »
what would it take to get Shaka or someone with that kind of reputation?  It's not happening but just curious.

Is Ben Howland still looking for work?

VCU is the kind of program I'd do the unthinkable: consider a top assistant. VCU plays how we used to play. That's what we need to get back to. I said in October that Lavin had no POV. Our kids play all kinds of defenses, and none of them well.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:03:00 PM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2014, 01:05:18 PM »
I like Masiello because I think his players compete no matter what. I think that's the coach.

LJSA

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2014, 01:15:26 PM »
what would it take to get Shaka or someone with that kind of reputation?  It's not happening but just curious.

We'd bitch and moan about Howland's style and lack of recruiting. Shaka would probably take a combo of $3.5 a year and Maya Payne Smart believing her career would be furthered by living in New York.

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2014, 01:49:27 PM »
I am going to take crap for this but, the guy I would go get is Bruce Pearl. He is a copy Lavin the only thing is he knows how to Coach. Has won every where he has been. He can start coaching again in August and we would have to keep him away from BBQ's. He would be cheaper than Lavin but also give us the Headlines.  I like Masiello but, definitely a climber, and no way can we go the assistant route!

tnice

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2014, 02:09:56 PM »

VCU is the kind of program I'd do the unthinkable: consider a top assistant. VCU plays how we used to play. That's what we need to get back to. I said in October that Lavin had no POV. Our kids play all kinds of defenses, and none of them well.

If we're going top assistants from big time programs, my first call is to Duke about Wojo. Collins left for the Northwestern job, so its not like a long time assistant would never leave Coach K. Do you work under the assumption that when K leaves, Wojo goes home to Durham? Sure. But he'd bring toughness and intensity on both end of the floor, and a successful offensive system. I'll take that, even if its short term.