Providence Game Thread

• 283 replies

goredmen

Re: Providence Game Thread
« Reply #200 on: January 16, 2014, 10:07:28 PM »
We won three tip-offs though

You should send that stat to the STJ Twitter guy.

Can't wait for all the stats they post tomorrow about how good each player is doing and how tough of a schedule we've played. There's 50 pages of those stats apparently

DFF6

« Reply #201 on: January 16, 2014, 10:07:58 PM »
Our three biggest shots of the season were a Sanchez 3, Hooper 3 when down 1 and Greene contested layup. Harrison didn't get one touch on those three possessions

To be fair, Providence was all over him.   They didn't allow our best player to beat them, something we can never seem to do to our opponents
But I agree, there's no end of the game strategy, it looks like we're just going out there and hoping to get lucky

Good coaches find ways to get their best scorer the ball in big situations

See, e.g., B Cotton with the winning shot.

« Reply #202 on: January 16, 2014, 10:09:02 PM »
   Hey,   at least this has happened.. And they wonder why we are frustrated...

StJohnsBasketball ‏@StJohnsBBall 2m
#SJUBB has now won the tip three times in this game...

In a dark sick way, this is kinda funny

« Reply #203 on: January 16, 2014, 10:09:23 PM »
You can put down Ed Cooley all you want but Tyler Harris was a border line D1 player and he had a good game against our highly talented but under developed team.  I really feel sorry for these kids as they played their asses off but don't have the coaching to get over the hump. In all this mess, I have to give it to Harrison as his conduct has been exemplary under the circumstances.  I am surprised he hasn't blown a gasket.  I don't think I would have as much control with all of this losing. He leaves it all out on the floor, too bad the results arn't there.  I shall continue to root for these kids despite my distaste for the coaching staff.

SJUFAN

« Reply #204 on: January 16, 2014, 10:09:49 PM »
The worst move of the night is not having Obekpa in the game when Cotton got the ball and drove to the hoop.

Having Hooper in up four on defense was a bad move. 

« Reply #205 on: January 16, 2014, 10:14:23 PM »
Now we will see what kind of coach Lavin really is.

jr49

« Reply #206 on: January 16, 2014, 10:15:34 PM »
You can put down Ed Cooley all you want but Tyler Harris was a border line D1 player and he had a good game against our highly talented but under developed team.  I really feel sorry for these kids as they played their asses off but don't have the coaching to get over the hump. In all this mess, I have to give it to Harrison as his conduct has been exemplary under the circumstances.  I am surprised he hasn't blown a gasket.  I don't think I would have as much control with all of this losing. He leaves it all out on the floor, too bad the results arn't there.  I shall continue to root for these kids despite my distaste for the coaching staff.
Did you watch the game. Harrison can't blame the staff for his play down the stretch and he knows it. Thats why he's pissed. Your post so far off it must be you fooling around.

« Reply #207 on: January 16, 2014, 10:17:24 PM »
The worst move of the night is not having Obekpa in the game when Cotton got the ball and drove to the hoop.

Having Hooper in up four on defense was a bad move. 

Having hooper on the team is a bad move. This team was sooooooo desperate for a shooter they got this stiff. The kid really is terrible.

SJUFAN

« Reply #208 on: January 16, 2014, 10:19:21 PM »
Our three biggest shots of the season were a Sanchez 3, Hooper 3 when down 1 and Greene contested layup. Harrison didn't get one touch on those three possessions

To be fair, Providence was all over him.   They didn't allow our best player to beat them, something we can never seem to do to our opponents
But I agree, there's no end of the game strategy, it looks like we're just going out there and hoping to get lucky

We ran the same exact play for Harrison at the end of the 1 OT. Harrison almost turns the ball over, Cotton makes the basket plus 1. That had nothing to do with good or bad coaching. Players' make plays.   

jr49

« Reply #209 on: January 16, 2014, 10:19:29 PM »
We should be playing three guards with Rysheed, D'Lo and Phil out there instead of Dom.

Dom is our 2nd leading scorer in OT's
Did Jordan go home to Philly?

We lose most OT's...  Dom is maybe the most awful offensive player I've seen.   I'm done with this shit
Dom tried to win us the game, but some of the guys who are big time can't help the team out when they supposed to be the man.

« Reply #210 on: January 16, 2014, 10:19:41 PM »
If i'm Jordan.  I would transfer..  F this.

I AM PRETTY SURE THAT IS HAPPENING ANYWAY BOO

Did anyone else notice Jordan was not on the bench from the 5 min point of the second half through the end of the game? I couldn't find him anywhere

« Reply #211 on: January 16, 2014, 10:19:47 PM »
Did you watch the game. Harrison can't blame the staff for his play down the stretch and he knows it. Thats why he's pissed. Your post so far off it must be you fooling around.

JR you think Lav coached a good game? Put the kids in a good position to win the game?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #212 on: January 16, 2014, 10:21:20 PM »

We ran the same exact play for Harrison at the end of the 1 OT. Harrison almost turns the ball over, Cotton makes the basket plus 1. That had nothing to do with good or bad coaching. Players' make plays.   

Thing is that is Cottons game, its rysheeds too. But it is not Dlo's. He needs the tipple threat to be effective. Not a one on one from half court.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #213 on: January 16, 2014, 10:22:32 PM »
Jordan has a right to be pissed. And a right to transfer. Unless there's something going on behind the scenes, he should have been in there.

DFF6

« Reply #214 on: January 16, 2014, 10:23:10 PM »

What about the absurd 3 pointer from Sanchez at the end of regulation?  Or Greene's drive to the hoop as our last offensive play? 

desco80

« Reply #215 on: January 16, 2014, 10:25:24 PM »
If i'm Jordan.  I would transfer..  F this.

I AM PRETTY SURE THAT IS HAPPENING ANYWAY BOO

Did anyone else notice Jordan was not on the bench from the 5 min point of the second half through the end of the game? I couldn't find him anywhere

Is this true?  I thought I saw him in the huddle during timeouts.

« Reply #216 on: January 16, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »
Lavin needs to be dealt with like Maury in Goodfellas!!

boo3

« Reply #217 on: January 16, 2014, 10:27:44 PM »
 He was there. I saw him a few times

boo3

« Reply #218 on: January 16, 2014, 10:28:21 PM »
Lavin needs to be dealt with like Maury in Goodfellas!!

Now that is just nice personic, dude.    Get a grip..

« Reply #219 on: January 16, 2014, 10:31:25 PM »
StJohnsBasketball ‏@StJohnsBBall  4m
Jordan 4 asst and 1 TO in 13 mins. Limited by 1st half foul trouble. Lavin said went with he group that led charge back rest of way. #sjubb

I guess that group included Hooper..