Providence Game Thread

• 283 replies
Re: Providence Game Thread
« Reply #220 on: January 16, 2014, 10:32:55 PM »
Twitter guy pouring out the excuses already.....

@StJohnsBBall
Obekpa limited to 12 mins recovering from food poisoning. #sjubb

@StJohnsBBall 
Per Lavin, Sampson had leg-cramp late. Finished w/ 16 pts on 7-of-14 FGs, plus 8 rebs. Played 46 mins 45 hours after return from Chi. #sjubb

« Reply #221 on: January 16, 2014, 10:33:41 PM »
StJohnsBasketball ‏@StJohnsBBall  4m
Jordan 4 asst and 1 TO in 13 mins. Limited by 1st half foul trouble. Lavin said went with he group that led charge back rest of way. #sjubb

I guess that group included Hooper..

Nah, Hooper was in there because Sampson had "leg cramps". Get your excuses straight...

jr49

« Reply #222 on: January 16, 2014, 10:40:01 PM »
You can put down Ed Cooley all you want but Tyler Harris was a border line D1 player and he had a good game against our highly talented but under developed team.  I really feel sorry for these kids as they played their asses off but don't have the coaching to get over the hump. In all this mess, I have to give it to Harrison as his conduct has been exemplary under the circumstances.  I am surprised he hasn't blown a gasket.  I don't think I would have as much control with all of this losing. He leaves it all out on the floor, too bad the results arn't there.  I shall continue to root for these kids despite my distaste for the coaching staff.
Did you watch the game. Harrison can't blame the staff for his play down the stretch and he knows it. Thats why he's pissed. Your post so far off it must be you fooling around.

JR you think Lav coached a good game? Put the kids in a good position to win the game?
Players play the game. The players had a bunch of chances to make any old positive kind of play and they win. Same against Penn. State and DePaul.. If Lavin can't coach you would be a better judge then me. I don't know shit, and everyone here says it's all Lavin's fault. But I watch the end game and see the kids throw it away. I see the overtimes and I see the kids throw it away. You tell me it's Lavin. Ok.I  think Sampson and Dlo stink, down the stretch. Sanchez fouls like a 10 year old. When a coach puts his team in a position to win, I thought thats a good thing. The kids blew 3 games for Lavin, not the other way. The way the board feels about lavin, thats how I'm tired of the kids throwing wins away. Keep knocking Lavin. No doubt the kids are good heady players and it's all the coach

« Reply #223 on: January 16, 2014, 10:41:39 PM »

@StJohnsBBall

@StJohnsBBall 
Per Lavin, Sampson had leg-cramp late. Finished w/ 16 pts on 7-of-14 FGs, plus 8 rebs. Played 46 mins 45 hours after return from Chi. #sjubb

This is pathetic.

« Reply #224 on: January 16, 2014, 10:42:23 PM »
You can put down Ed Cooley all you want but Tyler Harris was a border line D1 player and he had a good game against our highly talented but under developed team.  I really feel sorry for these kids as they played their asses off but don't have the coaching to get over the hump. In all this mess, I have to give it to Harrison as his conduct has been exemplary under the circumstances.  I am surprised he hasn't blown a gasket.  I don't think I would have as much control with all of this losing. He leaves it all out on the floor, too bad the results arn't there.  I shall continue to root for these kids despite my distaste for the coaching staff.
Did you watch the game. Harrison can't blame the staff for his play down the stretch and he knows it. Thats why he's pissed. Your post so far off it must be you fooling around.

Obviously you didnt understand my post, perhaps you are drowning your sorrows in a few drinks. I never said that Harrison was blaming the staff nor did I say that he played well, I was simply complimenting him on his self control and how losing this many games he is still keeping himself together. And weather he played a good game or not, he does leave it all out on the court.  Next time try to read what the post says before making a dumb comment.

« Reply #225 on: January 16, 2014, 10:42:42 PM »
That is Fratto for you

« Reply #226 on: January 16, 2014, 10:46:32 PM »

@StJohnsBBall

@StJohnsBBall 
this twitter guy is like baghdad bob the man who was defending saddam as the country was burning around him.

« Reply #227 on: January 16, 2014, 10:49:39 PM »
We need to rid ourselves of Lavin and Mr. Orange Monasch!!

SJUFAN

« Reply #228 on: January 16, 2014, 10:57:37 PM »
Our three biggest shots of the season were a Sanchez 3, Hooper 3 when down 1 and Greene contested layup. Harrison didn't get one touch on those three possessions

To be fair, Providence was all over him.   They didn't allow our best player to beat them, something we can never seem to do to our opponents
But I agree, there's no end of the game strategy, it looks like we're just going out there and hoping to get lucky

Good coaches find ways to get their best scorer the ball in big situations

See, e.g., B Cotton with the winning shot.

We ran the same exact play for Harrison at the end of the 1 OT. Harrison almost turns the ball over, Cotton makes the basket plus 1. That had nothing to do with good or bad coaching. Players' make plays.   

Thing is that is Cottons game, its rysheeds too. But it is not Dlo's. He needs the tipple threat to be effective. Not a one on one from half court.

Good point.

« Reply #229 on: January 16, 2014, 11:02:01 PM »
How???....When coming out of a timeout, can you not have 5 guys playing the same defense?  This happened more than once!!

Is there another player in the NCAA that has a lower basketball IQ than Dom?

« Reply #230 on: January 16, 2014, 11:04:36 PM »
Joey Miller @TheRealJ_Millz
rysheed jordan, 13 mins and 4 assists. phil greene, 38 mins and 0 assists. lavin's a genius #sjubb

SJUFAN

« Reply #231 on: January 16, 2014, 11:05:59 PM »
Our three biggest shots of the season were a Sanchez 3, Hooper 3 when down 1 and Greene contested layup. Harrison didn't get one touch on those three possessions

To be fair, Providence was all over him.   They didn't allow our best player to beat them, something we can never seem to do to our opponents
But I agree, there's no end of the game strategy, it looks like we're just going out there and hoping to get lucky

Good coaches find ways to get their best scorer the ball in big situations

See, e.g., B Cotton with the winning shot.

We ran the same exact play for Harrison at the end of the 1 OT. Harrison almost turns the ball over, Cotton makes the basket plus 1. That had nothing to do with good or bad coaching. Players' make plays.   

What about the absurd 3 pointer from Sanchez at the end of regulation?  Or Greene's drive to the hoop as our last offensive play? 

I can't knock the shot Sanchez took, he was open. The play isn't designed to shoot a three pointer. Its designed to have options. Sanchez choose to shoot a three. The way our half court offense looked, I can't say it was a bad shot, he was open and shot it with confidence. It was better than Sampson's quadruple head fake, spinning left baby hook. Man than shot was ugly.

The Greene play I had a problem with. Thought Lavin should have held his last time out until after Cotton's free throw to set up a play. But then again maybe Lavin wanted a chaotic running prayer shot cause our half court execution in non-existent.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:09:36 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #232 on: January 16, 2014, 11:14:21 PM »
I was there and I still can't fathom that they lost that game. Three chances to win the game at the buzzers and they just couldn't get anything.

Poison

« Reply #233 on: January 16, 2014, 11:21:27 PM »
At the 10:18 mark in the 2nd half Lavin replaced Pointer with Hooper. Providence had the ball. After Hooper allowed a Prov big to easily score on him and we got the ball back, Lavin then removed Hooper.

Hooper is the worst defender I've ever seen in an STJ uniform. I'm not even going to rag on his stupid decision to expect Prov to foul him w 25 sec to go in 2OT. Lavin chose to bring in Hooper over a ball handler like Branch.

I don't understand how Lavin can still be the coach next season. He's lost the team. He doesn't play Branch. Obekpa is a zombie.

Lavin has to go. There is no plan. No system. Nothing for the players to count on. A mass exodus has to be next. If you're Jordan, Obekpa or Branch, you've got a right to be mad. And clearly, so do we.

Poison

« Reply #234 on: January 16, 2014, 11:29:29 PM »

We are all dumber after reading your insight. Tyler Harris was NOT a borderline D1 player. He was a borderline top 100 recruit. Stop making stuff up.

goredmen

« Reply #235 on: January 16, 2014, 11:31:23 PM »
At the 10:18 mark in the 2nd half Lavin replaced Pointer with Hooper. Providence had the ball. After Hooper allowed a Prov big to easily score on him and we got the ball back, Lavin then removed Hooper.

Hooper is the worst defender I've ever seen in an STJ uniform. I'm not even going to rag on his stupid decision to expect Prov to foul him w 25 sec to go in 2OT. Lavin chose to bring in Hooper over a ball handler like Branch.

I don't understand how Lavin can still be the coach next season. He's lost the team. He doesn't play Branch. Obekpa is a zombie.

Lavin has to go. There is no plan. No system. Nothing for the players to count on. A mass exodus has to be next. If you're Jordan, Obekpa or Branch, you've got a right to be mad. And clearly, so do we.

He had Hooper in on the defensive possession coming out of a timeout with a minute left in double OT where he let the Prov guy just take that rebound away from him and then he fouled him. Then Lav took him out while the PC guy was shooting FTs.

Add Felix to the guys with the right to be furious with Lav. What he did to him with the redshirting situation is criminal

« Reply #236 on: January 16, 2014, 11:38:39 PM »
It was a great shot for Sanchez because they are coached to leave him and all these other bums wide open on the perimeter. Sanchez is terrible from the outside and he still chucks away.  The second that shot went up I knew it had no chance because of who took the shot.   Cooley can coach and that's why playing with a depleted team he still pulled out the win against a desperate sinking team on the road.  All these over rated Top 50 and Top 100 players on St John's really believed they were one the of the best teams in the country let alone the Big East.

Lets face the facts people our record doesn't lie and we are definitely the worst team in the Big East this year and have the bleakest future.  Now I wish some of these guys would bolt after the season I cannot wait till this group is done as this goes down as the worst season in history based on the hype.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:53:28 PM by Needs2go »

desco80

« Reply #237 on: January 16, 2014, 11:40:28 PM »
This is an aside, but can someone tell me what we did to scorn the Harris family?   
And is the youngest one, terry, a d1 type player?

« Reply #238 on: January 16, 2014, 11:43:41 PM »
LOL I just saw they took the Lav out of the Needs2go for my handle.  Lavin blows so bad and is a total fraud to top it off.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:44:26 PM by Needs2go »

Poison

« Reply #239 on: January 16, 2014, 11:47:30 PM »

@StJohnsBBall

Lavin was the cook
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:48:58 PM by Poison »