Providence Game Thread

• 283 replies
Re: Providence Game Thread
« Reply #260 on: January 17, 2014, 01:34:19 PM »
St John's is 85% a commuter school so it shouldn't matter if students are on break.  There is absolutely no interest in this team because they are borderline unwatchable to anybody but the diehard fan.  Every home game this year has been a disappointing crowd.  Nobody cares and nobody will till Lavin is gone and a new brand of basketball is brought in.  He must of cost the University millions. 

He probably said all the right things in the interview after he studied the history of St John's and told them everything they wanted to hear.

I know I was a commuter when I went there but there are a ton of dorms now and people from all over the country go here now. You'd be surprised how many of the people from the student section aren't from NY.

Also I've never seen so many people leave because of double OT. It was like a mass exodus after D'Angelo didn't hit a GW in the 1st OT. It was like 9:30pm.

« Reply #261 on: January 17, 2014, 02:56:21 PM »
If it wasn't for bad luck we would have no luck at all:

- Perhaps the greatest free throw outing in Alumni Hall history by Prov. and they needed every single one to eek out a win:

Finished regulation at 23 of 24  for 96%
Then hit first three of 1st overtime to be 26 of 27 at one point.  An unheard of 97%.
Finally missed some in 2nd overtime including the last one on purpose.

Is school out or are the kids just beat down like us from all the losing?  Student sections behind the basket were empty and it cost us.  Have to figure Friars would have missed at least a couple with packed sections bothering the shot behind the basket.

- Sir with no love trying hard not to be outdone by himself.  After giving the opponent a 5 point play in a 2 point loss at DePaul...he follows it up by giving Providence a 4 point play in a double overtime home loss.

- Yes, subbing in Crimson for defense and out for offense late was odd.  But the lineup on the floor for the final nail in the coffin turnover was even odder.  With 23 seconds left down by one,  you know Prov. is in all out pressure to steal or foul.  We have no need for size and rebounding there.  Yes, you need free throw shooters but speed and dribbling ability might also be a good thing to have on the floor.  Lineup should have been Triangle, 3'lo, Jordan, Branch then maybe Hooper.    When we're on the FT line you could sub back in for size and defense.

- Somebody other than me should point out that the squares mano a mano defense on James Cotton was the key to the almost BE win.  Completely shut him down the entire regulation without fouling and only yielded 6 total points to him which came in the overtimes.  Worked extremely hard through screens to not switch ( a board pet peeve ) and when the bigs temporarily switched worked hard to get back on him.  Won't mean as much coming from me as all know I'm biased.

- As I was stuck in traffic leaving the venue because the gate was stuck down,  I heard the unbiased 1130 Am announcers select Phil Greene as the Player of the Game!

Cotton scored on Greene to win the game.

Yes, he did.  That would be among the 6 overtime points I posted about.  You were at the game, right?  Didn't you feel his defensive effort against the leagues top scorer was phenomenal; and if you had to point to one key factor that spurred the comeback,  wouldn't Mean Joe's defense be it?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 03:02:59 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #262 on: January 17, 2014, 02:58:00 PM »
As I was stuck in traffic leaving the venue because the gate was stuck down,  I heard the unbiased 1130 Am announcers select Phil Greene as the Player of the Game!

For which team?

Good point.  I think St. Johns.

« Reply #263 on: January 17, 2014, 03:02:15 PM »
P.S. Hollywood tried to "give Air Jordan the damn ball"  like the board is clamoring for as he got the start.  Alas, he picked up two fouls in 3 1/2 minutes as is his ilk.  Where he was in the second half and overtimes remains a great mystery?

paultzman

« Reply #264 on: January 17, 2014, 03:03:31 PM »
P.S. Hollywood tried to "give Air Jordan the damn ball"  like the board is clamoring for as he got the start.  Alas, he picked up two fouls in 3 1/2 minutes as is his ilk.  Where he was in the second half and overtimes remains a great mystery?

Packing boxes at Lavin's house.

« Reply #265 on: January 17, 2014, 03:31:38 PM »

- Perhaps the greatest free throw outing in Alumni Hall history by Prov. and they needed every single one to eek out a win:

Then hit first three of 1st overtime to be 26 of 27 at one point.  An unheard of 97%.

Is school out or are the kids just beat down like us from all the losing?  Student sections behind the basket were empty and it cost us.  Have to figure Friars would have missed at least a couple with packed sections bothering the shot behind the basket.

- Sir with no love trying hard not to be outdone by himself.  After giving the opponent a 5 point play in a 2 point loss at DePaul...he follows it up by giving Providence a 4 point play in a double overtime home loss.

- Yes, subbing in Crimson for defense and out for offense late was odd.  But the lineup on the floor for the final nail in the coffin turnover was even odder.  With 23 seconds left down by one,  you know Prov. is in all out pressure to steal or foul.  We have no need for size and rebounding there.  Yes, you need free throw shooters but speed and dribbling ability might also be a good thing to have on the floor.  Lineup should have been Triangle, 3'lo, Jordan, Branch then maybe Hooper.    When we're on the FT line you could sub back in for size and defense.

- Somebody other than me should point out that the squares mano a mano defense on James Cotton was the key to the almost BE win.  Completely shut him down the entire regulation without fouling and only yielded 6 total points to him which came in the overtimes.  Worked extremely hard through screens to not switch ( a board pet peeve ) and when the bigs temporarily switched worked hard to get back on him.  Won't mean as much coming from me as all know I'm biased.

- As I was stuck in traffic leaving the venue because the gate was stuck down,  I heard the unbiased 1130 Am announcers select Phil Greene as the Player of the Game!

Yes, he did.  That would be among the 6 overtime points I posted about.  You were at the game, right?  Didn't you feel his defensive effort against the leagues top scorer was phenomenal; and if you had to point to one key factor that spurred the comeback,  wouldn't Mean Joe's defense be it?

I thought Phil played a good second half. Definitely not the reason we lost, also wouldnt say he was the reason we came back. His defense is not great, its not good, its average at best (cotton with 21, 9, 8). Why guard him all the way out to half court on that play? Thats not just on him, thats on Lavin also.

And for the love of god, if you play 30+ minutes at the PG spot is it to much to ask for 1 assist?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #266 on: January 17, 2014, 03:33:38 PM »

PC went into that game the #1 free throw shooting team in the country. That wasn't bad luck on our behalf.

I would bet they shot a better percentage than whatever there "#1 free throw shooting team in the country" percentage is and that they shot Way better than it through the 1st overtime.  Plus they did it on the road where teams FT percentages usually decline.

Extremely Unlucky.

« Reply #267 on: January 17, 2014, 03:41:17 PM »

I agree about the free throws, Carmine.  I couldn't believe that they were making all of them.  That killed us.

On the Cotton drive, when the whistle blew for the Greene foul, why didn't Gift help more aggressively and make sure the shot didn't go in.  He allowed Cotton to finish and hit the bucket when he should have gone after him aggressively.

« Reply #268 on: January 17, 2014, 03:57:02 PM »

I thought Phil played a good second half. Definitely not the reason we lost, also wouldnt say he was the reason we came back. His defense is not great, its not good, its average at best (cotton with 21, 9, 8). Why guard him all the way out to half court on that play? Thats not just on him, thats on Lavin also.

And for the love of god, if you play 30+ minutes at the PG spot is it to much to ask for 1 assist?

Look beneath the surface.  6 of his points and the 14 points Prov. embarrassingly scored in the opening 4 minutes of the game came with him on the bench.  Prov. scored only 53 points in the 36 minutes after that with Phil head up doing yeomans work on the leagues leading scorer who shot 31% from the field and 12% from 3 on the game.

Cotton didn't score on Phil at all in regulation, hit no 3's, and Phil never sent him to the line.  Just an impeccable defensive performance from him.  Radio announcers, Lavin...er...ok Keady, most at the game, and I recognized it.  I'm not justifying it, but I'm sure in Lavin's mind that's why the Aggie and Jordan saw so little time.

Yes, 0 assists is very bad.  15 points, 0 turnovers and an incredible defensive performance is very good.  Absolutely, the key to the comeback.

Best player on our roster last night in a BE contest as judged not by me, but by the professional media covering the event. 

Respect yo!

« Reply #269 on: January 17, 2014, 11:49:15 PM »

Look beneath the surface.  6 of his points and the 14 points Prov. embarrassingly scored in the opening 4 minutes of the game came with him on the bench.  Prov. scored only 53 points in the 36 minutes after that with Phil head up doing yeomans work on the leagues leading scorer who shot 31% from the field and 12% from 3 on the game.

Cotton didn't score on Phil at all in regulation, hit no 3's, and Phil never sent him to the line.  Just an impeccable defensive performance from him.  Radio announcers, Lavin...er...ok Keady, most at the game, and I recognized it.  I'm not justifying it, but I'm sure in Lavin's mind that's why the Aggie and Jordan saw so little time.

Yes, 0 assists is very bad.  15 points, 0 turnovers and an incredible defensive performance is very good.  Absolutely, the key to the comeback.

Best player on our roster last night in a BE contest as judged not by me, but by the professional media covering the event. 

Respect yo!

He should never ever ever play PG.  And when he is in at point he has a responsibility to move the basketball and make plays for others.  He didn't.  Most of this is on the head coach for putting him in a position in which he does not fit. 
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #270 on: January 18, 2014, 12:05:22 AM »

Respect yo!
OK Carmine but calling Minko and Tierney professional media is a bit of a stretch, no?

« Reply #271 on: January 18, 2014, 01:26:47 AM »
Heard shurinaCheese had to be taken to the hospital the morning after the game. Something about erections lasting more than 4 hours...

« Reply #272 on: January 18, 2014, 03:34:15 AM »

Respect yo!

He should never ever ever play PG.  And when he is in at point he has a responsibility to move the basketball and make plays for others.  He didn't.  Most of this is on the head coach for putting him in a position in which he does not fit. 

Ok.

« Reply #273 on: January 18, 2014, 03:34:55 AM »

Respect yo!
OK Carmine but calling Minko and Tierney professional media is a bit of a stretch, no?

I don't think they're volunteers, are they?

« Reply #274 on: January 18, 2014, 11:58:45 AM »

Respect yo!

I don't think they're volunteers, are they?

They're hired and paid by St. John's University.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #275 on: January 18, 2014, 12:25:54 PM »
SJU was actually trying to force Minko out a couple years ago but I guess they changed their minds.

Poison

« Reply #276 on: January 18, 2014, 01:18:10 PM »

We're a bad team, and Providence is also a bad team. Greene was pretty good at getting points for Greene. We needed him to run the offense, and he didn't. Greene runs the Brian Mahoney offense. He's a 2 guard playing out of position. BUT, when Lavin wants zone, he plays zone. When Lavin wants man, he pays man. Some of our players can't keep up with sh*t Lavin pulls that in Lavin's mind is actually coaching.

Greene is a valuable role player, but how far is this team going him running the point? What is his shooting % in BE play and against high major programs this year compared to BS teams we played in Nov/Dec?

redslope

« Reply #277 on: January 18, 2014, 04:51:37 PM »

Respect yo!
Carmine--you have my respect as I saw it the same way.  Most of the comments here are by folks who were not at the game.  If they were they would have obviously seen Sampson cramping up-it was painful to watch him go up and down court. He had to be subbed for.  Was the choice  correct????

Interesting stat to consider is that in our first 12 games we had 65 more FT than our opponents.  in the 5 BE games we have had 60 FT's LESS than our opponents.  That is a pretty amazing turnabout.

On Thursday Coley worked the refs incessantly (I sit behind visitors bench so I observe our coaching opponents) and he had them cowed.  In 2nd OT Cotton drives and gets one; Phil drives and gets no call...end of game

well back to alumni for another dose of reality
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 04:52:46 PM by redslope »

« Reply #278 on: January 19, 2014, 01:47:20 AM »

We're a bad team, and Providence is also a bad team. Greene was pretty good at getting points for Greene. We needed him to run the offense, and he didn't. Greene runs the Brian Mahoney offense. He's a 2 guard playing out of position. BUT, when Lavin wants zone, he plays zone. When Lavin wants man, he pays man. Some of our players can't keep up with sh*t Lavin pulls that in Lavin's mind is actually coaching.

Greene is a valuable role player, but how far is this team going him running the point? What is his shooting % in BE play and against high major programs this year compared to BS teams we played in Nov/Dec?

Michael,  I'm surprised by your questions.  I must have posted on at least 10 occasions that the Square's talents are best showcased at shooting guard.  I'm aware when Phil has faltered against BE competition and post accordingly.  This is me just 3 days ago:

"Ordinarily,  I would be leaping in like Lester to defend my beloved Rectangle,  but I can't...so I shant.  Phil has not played up to his expected standards since 12/21 against Youngstown.  He, along with others, has not been part of the solution...so he's been part of the problem.  "How do you think I feel?  Betrayed, bewildered... wrong response?"

In the past I've always come with strong, logical, undeniable statistical evidence to write the truth against the immenent threat of Phil bashing.  Not today.  Mean Joe's play of late has been awful,  particularly the last two."

I don't think he's a perfect player.  You never see my comparing Mean Joe to Hatten, Hardy, Jackson, Iverson, etc.  No hyperbole or exaggerated Lavinisms here.  Just plain honest truth backed up by facts about a proud Johnny warrior.

Regarding Phil's play in the Providence game.  Hollywood's umpteenth starting lineup mistakenly had Phil starting on the bench.  St. Johns dug itself an early hole scoreing a grand total of 2 measly points in the 1st 4 minutes with the Messiah at the helm before he predictably got into foul trouble.  Meaning that the good guys scored a respectable 65 points in the remaining 36 minutes with Phil manning the point the majority of the time.  That prorates to a very reasonable offensive output in the 70's if your interested in the math.

Phil's point guard play was not the reason we lost.  Our inability to keep Providence off the FT line and their night for the ages from 15 feet away was the main factor in our demise.  Oh yeah,  on that front Phil fouled only twice in the game while guarding the BE's leading scorer almost the entire way.

Also consider that the much maligned Phil Greene IV HAS FLAT OUT BEEN THE BEST PLAYER ON THIS TEAM IN FOUR OF OUR 18 CONTESTS NOW.  Two of the four would have been losses without him,  one he missed a potential game winning runner at the buzzer, and against Dartmouth they probably would have found a way to win anyhow.  Phil leading the charge for us is nothing new.  It occurred regularly last season as well.  Particularly,  after the season ending 3'lo suspension.

Respect yo!

« Reply #279 on: January 19, 2014, 01:55:25 AM »
Carmine--you have my respect as I saw it the same way.  Most of the comments here are by folks who were not at the game.  If they were they would have obviously seen Sampson cramping up-it was painful to watch him go up and down court. He had to be subbed for.  Was the choice  correct????

Interesting stat to consider is that in our first 12 games we had 65 more FT than our opponents.  in the 5 BE games we have had 60 FT's LESS than our opponents.  That is a pretty amazing turnabout.

On Thursday Coley worked the refs incessantly (I sit behind visitors bench so I observe our coaching opponents) and he had them cowed.  In 2nd OT Cotton drives and gets one; Phil drives and gets no call...end of game

well back to alumni for another dose of reality

RS.  Thank you very much for the support.  I too thought that in a perfect world the parallelogram would have gotten the call at the end and hit two Ft's to win the game.  It appeared to be enough contact for a call.

However,  if you knew me on a personal level it would be readily apparent to you that I deserve no respect.  Phil Greene on the other hand, deserves much.