Dartmouth Game Thread

• 76 replies
Re: Dartmouth Game Thread
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2014, 12:02:40 AM »
Redslope, I disagree about Dlo being disinterested.  I think he plays with a lot of passion.  He is also much more aggressive on defense this year than he was last year.

As for the free throws, I think we have been too much of a perimeter team in Big East play.  The only team we drove on a lot was Nova but we missed so many easy layups.  If we made some of those easy ones, we win that game.

Marillac

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2014, 12:10:22 AM »
Redslope, I disagree about Dlo being disinterested.  I think he plays with a lot of passion.  He is also much more aggressive on defense this year than he was last year.

As for the free throws, I think we have been too much of a perimeter team in Big East play.  The only team we drove on a lot was Nova but we missed so many easy layups.  If we made some of those easy ones, we win that game.

I agree with regards to Harrison.  He is physically limited, but he brings it as consistently as anyone on the roster. 
I also think this team's strength will actually become taking the ball to the hole as the season progresses and Dom's role shrinks in favor of Branch.  When Branch is on the floor with Jordan and Harrison/Greene, there are three legit threats to consistently take it to the basket.  Sampson and Sanchez need to get it closer where they can also become threats.  That should equal more trips to the foul line.

Also, in regards to FT's, this team hasn't really hit the offensive glass as hard as I know they are able to.  Offensive rebounds often lead to fouls since the defense is usually out of position. 

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2014, 12:36:40 AM »
Some notes from the seats:

D'Angelo had 0 points in the second half. Sanchez had 0 fouls, which was a minor miracle. Obekpa has been playing really really poorly. Four days to get ready for Seton Hall.

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2014, 01:06:52 AM »
I noticed that Mater Dei (school Max Hooper went to) in California's entire team was at the game sitting courtside.

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2014, 02:03:41 AM »
I noticed that Mater Dei (school Max Hooper went to) in California's entire team was at the game sitting courtside.

Yup, too bad we cant get Stanley Johnson. This kid appears to be a really good player though

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/142909/rex-pflueger

« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2014, 02:17:07 AM »

Yup, too bad we cant get Stanley Johnson. This kid appears to be a really good player though

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/142909/rex-pflueger

I believe they practiced in Taffner before the game too.

SJUFAN

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2014, 01:51:14 PM »
Also my pet peeve regarding FT/fouls.  In BE we are shooting 12 per game less than our opponents yet outside the BE we are plus 5.5 coming into this game where we had 22 versus Dartmouth's 8 FT's.  What are we doing wrong that is creating this difference because it is killing us in the BE games. 

The teams that we have played that we have a clear advantage on athletically we get the FT advantage. The other teams who are able to match us athletically we don't because we don't put any pressure on opposing defenses via dribble drive as much as the opposing team does to us. 

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2014, 05:01:43 PM »
How and why did we have such a good crowd last night against Dartmouth?

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2014, 05:32:23 PM »

Seemed like a lot of kids...good turnout

hnk

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2014, 05:38:34 PM »
Early sat. night...good for kids...lots of boy scouts.....schools etc...someone worked really hard to make it happen and they did a good job...the place was just about full   except for student sections behind the baskets....I guess be cause of break

« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2014, 06:28:38 PM »
Gotta just take it one game at a time and hope for the best.   

Wow, if a win against Dartmouuth is giving some people hope, then a win against Seton Hall a predicted pre season seller dweller will have some of you breaking out the champaign. Unreal

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2014, 06:34:26 PM »

Wow, if a win against Dartmouuth is giving some people hope, then a win against Seton Hall a predicted pre season seller dweller will have some of you breaking out the champaign. Unreal

Um, boo said we have to "hope for the best." Not exactly saying he's getting ready to break out champagne.

boo3

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2014, 06:58:34 PM »

Um, boo said we have to "hope for the best." Not exactly saying he's getting ready to break out champagne.

She's a clown...

redslope

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2014, 10:05:58 PM »
Someone I know brought her 2 kids--thye had a ticket special od $18 for a ticket-upper level-p[us hot dog and soda; given the time and cost not a bad deal

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2014, 11:03:34 PM »
Someone I know brought her 2 kids--thye had a ticket special od $18 for a ticket-upper level-p[us hot dog and soda; given the time and cost not a bad deal

They should be doing stuff like that for every game. That's how you cultivate a fanbase.

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2014, 11:04:33 PM »

a win against Seton Hall a predicted pre season seller dweller will have some of you breaking out the champaign. Unreal

Madam, we're men.  We break out the hard stuff before, during and after the game whether we beat "predicted pre season seller dwellers" or not.

« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2014, 11:06:56 PM »
"A Little Green Rosetta"

"...Take a tip from Joe, do like he did, hock your imaginary guitar
 and get a good job...Joe did, and he's a happy guy now, on the day shift at
 the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snoot of
 a fully-charged icing anointment utensil. And every time a nice little muffin comes
 by on the belt, he poots forth..."

- FZ
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 11:17:45 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2014, 12:42:26 AM »
Yeah the upper deck was packed, I have no idea why they don't make things more affordable for every non conference game. It's either people in the seats or not you'd think they'd choose the former.

Foad

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2014, 08:16:20 AM »

They should be doing stuff like that for every game. That's how you cultivate a fanbase.

That's how you cultivate a fan base if the team sucks. If you win games people will buy their own hot dogs.

« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2014, 12:13:26 PM »
Yeah the upper deck was packed, I have no idea why they don't make things more affordable for every non conference game. It's either people in the seats or not you'd think they'd choose the former.

Living Social has/had $15 tickets for all games on campus. Travelzoo has lower level MSG tickets for $32.50. Amazon also had discounted tickets. Affordable tickets are out there.