Obekpa

• 83 replies

pmg911

Obekpa
« on: January 18, 2014, 09:12:44 AM »
Was told by a some close to the kid that Obekpa is out the door.

Kid would rather play in the D League next year then come back to SJU

Re: Obekpa
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 09:15:19 AM »
Worried about him and Jordan leaving.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 09:23:51 AM »
If Jordan and Obekpa leave Lavin will be fired, or he'll be destroyed by the media, and the fans.

paultzman

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 09:34:06 AM »
Worried about him and Jordan leaving.

Should be

TONYD3

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 09:36:31 AM »
If he leaves . He will only hurt himself . He has talent but currently he is a bad basketball player.

paultzman

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 09:43:17 AM »
Two guys leave + no decent replacements + guarded prognosis for 15 kids + continued slide may = face saving post season departure to Marin County. Hope these variables don't come to fruition.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:44:34 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 09:46:42 AM »

Any idea why he wants to leave?  Playing time? Losing streak?  Issue with coach or the staff? 

paultzman

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 09:59:18 AM »
It is clear something has been brewing with CO for some time.  His PT has lessened and in crunch time, right or wrong, he has been on the bench.  In  my opinion he and Branch seem to be in Lavin's dog house, unless his "food poisoning" has lingered over past several weeks.  Every team has some level of player dissatisfaction, but on a struggling team it becomes more problematic. With "Walkon Gate", Felix activation! inconsistent rotations, unclear roles & frustrating losses what can you expect?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 10:01:09 AM by paultzman »

desco80

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 10:06:00 AM »
If Obekpa leaves we have practically no front court for next season.

Is everyone still ok with the fact Lavin hasn't signed any recruits? 

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 10:08:37 AM »
Better hit the JC circuit then

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 10:27:13 AM »
Someone told someone etc etc etc,please!

Moose

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 10:43:01 AM »
He's obviously not improving here
Remember who broke the Slice news

CC

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 11:05:21 AM »
I thought he was playing decent vs Prov. He actually grabbed an offensive rebound put it back in, and we never saw him again  ???

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 11:20:05 AM »
I thought he was playing decent vs Prov. He actually grabbed an offensive rebound put it back in, and we never saw him again  ???

I thought he had a number of good left hand put backs which I view as positive...I agree with some posters who have cited all the switching as a root cause of his defensive lapses and a neutralizer of his shot blocking ability

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 11:42:54 AM »

Hope it's not true, but hard to ignore the fact that GG has been getting his minutes the last couple of games

Poison

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 11:43:24 AM »
Obekpa had food poisoning. I wonder what St.John's Twitter will post tonight?

Poison

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 11:48:49 AM »

It's not about recruiting. We've been getting more than our fair share of recruits. Lavin can't make what he's trying to build work. He can sign 3 great recruits for next season. 3 guys that we are thrilled to have, but if he has no idea how to develop his team, it's meaningless.

I'm done with the recruiter first coach. If a coach isn't strong in the coaching part of his job, he's useless. Give me a coach over a recruiter anyway.

paultzman

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 12:00:05 PM »

It's not about recruiting. We've been getting more than our fair share of recruits. Lavin can't make what he's trying to build work. He can sign 3 great recruits for next season. 3 guys that we are thrilled to have, but if he has no idea how to develop his team, it's meaningless.

I'm done with the recruiter first coach. If a coach isn't strong in the coaching part of his job, he's useless. Give me a coach over a recruiter anyway.

There are happy mediums.

desco80

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »

There are happy mediums.

+1.
I think the notion that we need an X's and O's genius is a result of dealing with Lavin's ineptitude.  We're starving for competency.
But as Fun points out all the time, you don't need to be a member of MENSA to be a good basketball coach.    Nobody's going to confuse Bobby knight and john Calipari with Stephen Hawking.   

You need to be able to attract good players, and have a reasonable strategy...which you don't even need to invent yourself!   Good coaches copy each other all the time! 

I don't need an X's and O's nerd,  a normal-to-pretty-good tactician who brings in good talent would be fine.   The problem is we've had an A+ recruiter with D- teaching and coaching skills.
Hardly any other candidate is that extreme. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 12:31:42 PM by desco80 »

Poison

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 12:22:52 PM »

There are happy mediums.

+1.
I think the notion that we need an X's and O's genius is a result of dealing with Lavin's ineptitude.  We're starving for competency.
But as Fun points out all the time, you don't need to be a member of MENSA to be a good basketball coach.    Nobody's going to confuse Bobby knight and john Calipari with Stephen Hawking.   

You need to be able to attract good players, and have a reasonable strategy...which you do even need to invent yourself!   Good coaches copy each other all the time! 

I don't need an X's and O's nerd,  a normal-to-pretty-good tactician who brings in good talent would be fine.   The problem is we've had an A+ recruiter with D- teaching and coaching skills.
Hardly any other candidate is that extreme. 

It's a matter of taste. I'm sick of overhyped recruits. I'd rather have a genius than a coach who has to kiss the ass of these punks. I didn't like Jarvis, but i didn't have a problem with him telling the Fraser's they should basically go F themselves. That was the right call. They should have F'd themselves.

We have to bring in a coach w a POV. What kind of offense does he run? What kind of defense? Lavin has no idea. If we can't land Shaka Smart, let's find the 2nd best man to man coach. Since we're not getting Jim Boeheim, let's find the best 2/3 coach.

The coach should be recruiting players to fit HIS system. When Boeheim recruits, he recruits a very specific type of player. When you play SU the goal is to beat the zone. When you play STJ, stop Harrison, and you'll probably win. Lavin has no plan. I asked everyone before the season what his plan was? I didn't know, and he doesn't know either.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 12:29:01 PM by Poison »