Coach lavin

• 131 replies
Coach lavin
« on: January 19, 2014, 02:13:50 PM »
He is going nowhere guys. So stop these redundant useless posts about new coaches. The administration loves him. This is same administration that gave norm who had about one one-hundredth of the success lavin has had 6 years. You will see an extension before a new coach. Plus the grass is not always greener on other side of the fence. The big time guys are not obtainable. Plus sju job is not as desirable these days as some think.

Re: Coach lavin
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 02:24:17 PM »
He is going nowhere guys. So stop these redundant useless posts about new coaches. The administration loves him. This is same administration that gave norm who had about one one-hundredth of the success lavin has had 6 years. You will see an extension before a new coach. Plus the grass is not always greener on other side of the fence. The big time guys are not obtainable. Plus sju job is not as desirable these days as some think.

Yup. And, I don't think he'll walk away anytime soon either. He would never get another coaching job if he leaves after this horrible season.

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 02:39:03 PM »

Yup. And, I don't think he'll walk away anytime soon either. He would never get another coaching job if he leaves after this horrible season.

I was worried about him leaving us until about a month ago!  There is still a lot of time left this season, but the horrible start has probably taken him out of consideration for any decent jobs for a long time.

paultzman

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 02:39:51 PM »

Don't think he wants one.

goredmen

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 02:45:03 PM »

I understand the point about the administration loving him and that he won't be going anywhere anytime soon. I don't understand how one can warn about the grass not being greener on the other side. This is as bad as it gets. Lavin supporters point to his great recruiting classes that we wouldn't be able to get with a different coach. But what good is great recruiting classes if you are consistently losing to inferior teams?

We don't need a big name coach to be successful. Nobody knew who Shaka and Brad Stevens were before they got their first head coaching jobs. The next Shaka Smart is an assistant at a power program or head coach of a smaller program somewhere right now. We just have to find that person

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 03:00:33 PM »
This is not as bad as it gets. See mahoney jarvis end and norm. The roster needs to be revamped some next year. Some of the blame falls on the players too. Lavin needs to get some better iq basketball guys. He is smart enough to realize that. Plus hiis success with fund raising will get him plenty of more time if he wants!!!

paultzman

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 03:02:59 PM »
This is not as bad as it gets. See mahoney jarvis end and norm. The roster needs to be revamped some next year. Some of the blame falls on the players too. Lavin needs to get some better iq basketball guys. He is smart enough to realize that. Plus hiis success with fund raising will get him plenty of more time if he wants!!!

You sure about that fund raising point?

uwsfan

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 03:36:45 PM »
I'm beginning to suspect that Lavins defenders on this site suffer from some form of mental condition.

Lavin should have been fired after the Providence game.

Lavin will NEVER win here.
He will not be landing any more highly rated recruits. R Jordan was his last, and he has no chance of winning with moderate talent because he is not a good coach.He cannot and will not win. There is no turnaround coming, if he were capable of figureing it out, he would have done so already. What do his nice personic defenders think is going to miraculously happen in the future that for some reason has not already happened.
If  he is not fired at the end of this season the admin confirms that they care nothing about SJU basketball or the fans.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 03:38:48 PM by uwsfan »

boo3

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 03:40:51 PM »
^ aren't you the guy who predicted Final 4, or elite 8?  Lol..

When was the last time a college coach lost his job mid season?  It doesn't happen.

Come back to earth.. It is obvious you live on Planet Extreme

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 03:41:20 PM »

Don't think he wants one.

Still don't think he wants to go out like this.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 03:58:00 PM »

Lavin has done no better than Mahoney. He's been better than Norm, so I guess he can put that in his résumé after the season. Jarvis was a better coach at STJ than Lavin. I'm not even sure it's close.

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 03:59:55 PM »
I'm beginning to suspect that Lavins defenders on this site suffer from some form of mental condition.

Lavin should have been fired after the Providence game.

Lavin will NEVER win here.
He will not be landing any more highly rated recruits. R Jordan was his last, and he has no chance of winning with moderate talent because he is not a good coach.He cannot and will not win. There is no turnaround coming, if he were capable of figureing it out, he would have done so already. What do his nice personic defenders think is going to miraculously happen in the future that for some reason has not already happened.
If  he is not fired at the end of this season the admin confirms that they care nothing about SJU basketball or the fans.

Not sure why you would say he won't get anymore high rated recruits. That doesn't make much sense. It's the only thing he has actually done consistently.

I don't want Lavin fired. Am I disappointed? Hell yes. This is the most disappointed I've ever been as a SJU fan. I also can see that there is truth to the talk that he is a poor game coach. But he is one of the best recruiters in the country, you really can't ignore that. He took a program who hadn't seen a top 50 recruit in over a decade and now gets them left and right. If he can get a good assistant, like Dunlap in year one, he can win even with his flaws. We've already seen it. Lavin can recruit players who are better than the 2010 team. Get an assistant who can install a real offense and gameplan, and I think we can still be successful with Lavin as our coach.

Hopefully he's learning his lesson and will start recruiting players who can do more than run fast and jump high. Because I honestly feel that is the biggest flaw of this team. No one can create a shot besides Harrison. 

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 04:07:56 PM »
There is no turnaround coming, if he were capable of figureing it out, he would have done so already.

I totally agree.  This team should be peaking right now not in February, not in March, and not in August on their next European vacation.  This team was built to be good right now.  We have watched and waited for 2 years for this team to take the top spot in the new soft Big East yet we are dead last and winless when the games matter most.  According to Stevie boy the team is hitting its stride as they have been having great practices and playing all these teams right down to the wire just breaks not going Stevie's and the teams way.  Every player Lavin has recruited or hyped up (minus Harkless) is on this roster right now.  Every player is 100% healthy or darn near close to that, these guys are sophmores and juniors and have logged major minutes in college basketball already, the core of this team has played together for a while now, all his great JUCO players and transfers are available when called on.  This team was supposed to be 2 deep at every spot with 7 NBA players so what the heck has happened?

Why is this team not great now?
Why should we expect things to improve?
Why have all our players gotten worse since they first stepped foot on campus? (except the year Dunlap ran the show)
Why does this team lack confidence and leadership?
Why do they seem so demoralized?
Why are there still no set rotations?
Why does the starting lineup change every game?
Why is the chemistry so bad on this team?
Why hasn't Lavin acknowledged how big of a disappointment the season has been so far?
Why does this team still not know how to win after all the games they have played?
Why didn't they totally blow out Dartmouth last night?
Why do people still think we are going to get good recruits in the future?
Why do people still call Lavin a great recruiter when hardly any of his players are great?

I really don't understand
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 04:11:02 PM by Needs2go »

paultzman

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 04:37:17 PM »
There is no turnaround coming, if he were capable of figureing it out, he would have done so already.

I totally agree.  This team should be peaking right now not in February, not in March, and not in August on their next European vacation.  This team was built to be good right now.  We have watched and waited for 2 years for this team to take the top spot in the new soft Big East yet we are dead last and winless when the games matter most.  According to Stevie boy the team is hitting its stride as they have been having great practices and playing all these teams right down to the wire just breaks not going Stevie's and the teams way.  Every player Lavin has recruited or hyped up (minus Harkless) is on this roster right now.  Every player is 100% healthy or darn near close to that, these guys are sophmores and juniors and have logged major minutes in college basketball already, the core of this team has played together for a while now, all his great JUCO players and transfers are available when called on.  This team was supposed to be 2 deep at every spot with 7 NBA players so what the heck has happened?

Why have all our players gotten worse since they first stepped foot on campus? (except the year Dunlap ran the show)
Why hasn't Lavin acknowledged how big of a disappointment the season has been so far?
Why does this team still not know how to win after all the games they have played?
Why do people still call Lavin a great recruiter when hardly any of his players are great?

Why do you ask so many questions?

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 04:38:48 PM »

needstogo  needs to change his handle to " ? "

paultzman

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 04:55:04 PM »

needstogo  needs to change his handle to " ? "

"Gone"

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 06:38:48 PM »

Lavin has done no better than Mahoney. He's been better than Norm, so I guess he can put that in his résumé after the season. Jarvis was a better coach at STJ than Lavin. I'm not even sure it's close.

Lavin may be doing better then Norm but Norm was a joke, why compare him to Norm?  Just curious, does any one know what the record is for consecutive Big East losses?  Lavin now holds the record for consecutive Big East losses by a St. Johns team, and......................  has accomplished this the present year with the WEAKEST Big East basketball conference of all time.

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 08:25:09 PM »
Legitimate question ... is our staff recruiting anybody?  I haven't heard Lavin or the coaching staff linked to any '14 or '15 recruits in quite some time.

If that is the case, then I think that should tell us something right there.

jr49

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 10:12:14 PM »

Lavin may be doing better then Norm but Norm was a joke, why compare him to Norm?  Just curious, does any one know what the record is for consecutive Big East losses?  Lavin now holds the record for consecutive Big East losses by a St. Johns team, and......................  has accomplished this the present year with the WEAKEST Big East basketball conference of all time.
Hey Linda, SJU has had a one win season so your numbers don't come out. Loses 4 and 5 was our kids grabbing loses from wins.  What you bring to this board is bad vibes and lousy posts. What we got going on now is a poor season that you no doubt relish in. How about giving that negative crap a rest? 

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 03:37:21 AM »

Hey Linda, SJU has had a one win season so your numbers don't come out. Loses 4 and 5 was our kids grabbing loses from wins.  What you bring to this board is bad vibes and lousy posts. What we got going on now is a poor season that you no doubt relish in. How about giving that negative crap a rest? 
So I guess according to you we are 2-3 in the BE. Give me some of what your drinking. Hey, maybe we can make the final Four if we can count close losses as wins and advance in the tourney.