I am giving Lavin at least one more season.

• 79 replies
Re: I am giving Lavin at least one more season.
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2014, 11:46:12 PM »

1. Unless you think that we are keeping Obekpa and Sampson until they are seniors and Rysheed until he is a junior, we will likely have 9 scholarships open for 2015 with Adonis Delarosa who is our only reported target right now. With somehow those guys staying we have 6 scholarships with Adonis. Still a whole lot. Not good scholarship management with a whole new roster.

This has me beyond worried for our future. Ugh.

Yup. This is our roster for 2015:

PG : Rysheed Jordan - Junior
SG : Felix Balamou - Senior
SF : Max Hooper - Redshirt Junior
PF : Jakarr Sampson - Senior / Christian Jones - Redshirt Junior
C : Chris Obekpa - Senior

Its say its at least likely that all three of Jakarr, Obekpa and Rysheed aren't here by then. So we'd have Balamou, Hooper, Jones and a bunch more excuses.

goredmen

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2014, 11:51:11 PM »

1. Unless you think that we are keeping Obekpa and Sampson until they are seniors and Rysheed until he is a junior, we will likely have 9 scholarships open for 2015 with Adonis Delarosa who is our only reported target right now. With somehow those guys staying we have 6 scholarships with Adonis. Still a whole lot. Not good scholarship management with a whole new roster.

This has me beyond worried for our future. Ugh.

Yup. This is our roster for 2015:

C : Chris Obekpa - Senior

Its say its at least likely that all three of Jakarr, Obekpa and Rysheed aren't here by then. So we'd have Balamou, Hooper, Jones and a bunch more excuses.

And that's the year we go to Maui and get embarrassed on national TV three days in a row

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2014, 11:57:31 PM »
To add to this, I don't think Lavin has improved this team at all. Sure he's brought in some very good recruits, but he hasn't developed them. Also, the recruits will stop coming (and have judging by the fact that we only have one target and three open scholarships), once they realize that players here don't get better.

We also seem to be lazy when it comes to recruiting. Seems like we are taking the Mack Brown (former Texas football coach) approach when it comes to recruiting and that they need to be more interested in us than we are interested in them. Need to get to games and hustle out there to get the right guys. This staff is plainly not doing it anymore. To my memory they used to be more active when they got here.

We are back to square one with the scholarship count. We need a new coach ASAP and need him to bring the maximum amount of recruits this year to not need a monster (8-10 player) class in 2015.

To those who want Lavin back, what has he done to warrant that? Bring in good recruits? Because thats not enough to win games.

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2014, 12:08:24 AM »
And that's the year we go to Maui and get embarrassed on national TV three days in a row

:/ Its going to be ugly. St. John's is a very attractive job though, but we need to move fast (after the season if we don't make a miraculous run and make the tournament). Its easily a top 50 job in the state that its in, and if brought to prominence a top 20 job easily. Its a big basketball market with no other big college basketball team around. Right there for the taking. Also stuff like being in the Big East (still very valuable), UA deal, TV deal, etc. make this a very attractive opening. We just need to hit with the next pick of head coach. Lavin really needs to go ASAP.

ForeverYoung

• king and the pawn end up in the same box
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2014, 12:42:29 AM »
Some facts:
-Repole had nothing to do with Lavin's hire.  His money maybe but him personally NO.
-Repole made a huge donation when Vitamin Water was bought out.  Since then he has not donated more than any average Red/White member.
-All the Obekpa/Jordan rumors are just rumors.  Very unlikely either of them leaves
-2014 was expected to be a quiet recruiting year.  Lavin has high hopes for 2015
-Lavin is NOT getting fired or Leaving he has full backing of the University

Foad

« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2014, 08:24:11 AM »
St. John's is a very attractive job though, but we need to move fast (after the season if we don't make a miraculous run and make the tournament). Its easily a top 50 job in the state that its in, and if brought to prominence a top 20 job easily.

No it's not. It's the Bermuda triangle. Jamaica is where careers go to die. The next coach won't need a DOBO, he'll need an exorcist. This is barely a top 50 job in the new Big East. You know who thought SJ was a top 50 job? The numbskull Steve Lavin. Everyone else it was offered to realized it was crap and turned it down.

It's not 1982 anymore. SJ has been an afterthought in college BB for 25 years. We're not a sleeping giant: we're a mid major in a coma. Part of the reason for the suck is the delusion that we're a potential powerhouse. We're not. We should stop swinging for the fences. When Lavin leaves in 2015 we should all pray the next coach is a nice solid single to left. Because one more home run like Lavin will kill us dead.

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2014, 02:02:21 PM »
St. John's is a very attractive job though, but we need to move fast (after the season if we don't make a miraculous run and make the tournament). Its easily a top 50 job in the state that its in, and if brought to prominence a top 20 job easily.

No it's not. It's the Bermuda triangle. Jamaica is where careers go to die. The next coach won't need a DOBO, he'll need an exorcist. This is barely a top 50 job in the new Big East. You know who thought SJ was a top 50 job? The numbskull Steve Lavin. Everyone else it was offered to realized it was crap and turned it down.

It's not 1982 anymore. SJ has been an afterthought in college BB for 25 years. We're not a sleeping giant: we're a mid major in a coma. Part of the reason for the suck is the delusion that we're a potential powerhouse. We're not. We should stop swinging for the fences. When Lavin leaves in 2015 we should all pray the next coach is a nice solid single to left. Because one more home run like Lavin will kill us dead.

You don't think that this team is in a better state in the new Big East, with the UA/media deals and the better athletes on this team next year? I think Lavin did a good job of bringing in some good recruits. I don't think he is the right guy to develop them and put them in the best position for us to have success.

This is why I think if a move is made, make it now. New coach would have an attractive roster and many good factors. Just because we haven't been successful recently doesn't change the factor that the market is there for the taking. If the move isn't made now, let Lavin reload the roster with recruits and get a coach who can develop them.

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2014, 02:11:24 PM »
Lavin is not leaving or getting fired. This talk is ridiculous, as is the parade of horrible imaginaries some posters are spewing--What if some palyers transfer, and what if some go pro, and what if Lavin does not recruit anyone , oh Lord we will be embarassed in Hawaii! Reality check is in order.

goredmen

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2014, 02:49:14 PM »
Lavin is not leaving or getting fired. This talk is ridiculous, as is the parade of horrible imaginaries some posters are spewing--What if some palyers transfer, and what if some go pro, and what if Lavin does not recruit anyone , oh Lord we will be embarassed in Hawaii! Reality check is in order.

Funny you should talk about reality checks. Heres some realities:

Reality: This team is 0-5 in the big east
Reality: This team is 1-9 against power conference teams
Reality: This team is severely underachieving
Reality: There hasnt really been any signs that would indicate it would get much better
Reality: Lavin is clueless when it comes to X's and O's, preparation, rotations, and player development
Reality: We are looking at a shallow front court next year as no bigs have been signed to help with depth

I could probably list a few more but you get the point. I hope they do turn it around but I haven't seen anything to indicate they will. We are only a small favorite at home in a game we thought would be an automatic win before the season

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2014, 03:07:05 PM »

Whos imagining? This is facts: 2011 we had 10 open scholarships. 2015 we will have 7. Who are we recruiting for 2014? Adonis Delarosa is the only name I can think of. So lets just say we get him for arguments sake this is the roster we have going into 2015:

C : Chris Obekpa - Senior / Adonis Delarosa - Sophomore

Im willing to bet anything that at least one of the three(probably 2) of Sampson, Obekpa and Jordan won't be here. Im guessing Obekpa and Rysheed will be gone by then (via draft, pros)

PG :
C : Adonis Delarosa - Sophomore

Even if we get some really good recruits, are we not in trouble with such a roster?

cjfish

« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2014, 03:13:30 PM »

Funny you should talk about reality checks. Heres some realities:

Reality: This team is 0-5 in the big east
Reality: This team is 1-9 against power conference teams
Reality: This team is severely underachieving
Reality: There hasnt really been any signs that would indicate it would get much better
Reality: Lavin is clueless when it comes to X's and O's, preparation, rotations, and player development
Reality: We are looking at a shallow front court next year as no bigs have been signed to help with depth

I could probably list a few more but you get the point. I hope they do turn it around but I haven't seen anything to indicate they will. We are only a small favorite at home in a game we thought would be an automatic win before the season

Agreed that the front court next year will be weak.   Lavin should take a page from J. Thompson the Elder's book and recruit an exmilitary 6-8 Big big man to police the inside.  Obekpa is certainly not the rebounding answer so far. his interior positioning is awful.

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2014, 03:15:48 PM »

Whos imagining? This is facts: 2011 we had 10 open scholarships. 2015 we will have 7. Who are we recruiting for 2014? Adonis Delarosa is the only name I can think of. So lets just say we get him for arguments sake this is the roster we have going into 2015:

C : Chris Obekpa - Senior / Adonis Delarosa - Sophomore

Im willing to bet anything that at least one of the three(probably 2) of Sampson, Obekpa and Jordan won't be here. Im guessing Obekpa and Rysheed will be gone by then (via draft, pros)

PG :
C : Adonis Delarosa - Sophomore

Even if we get some really good recruits, are we not in trouble with such a roster?

How many teams would look a lot better looking 2 years into the future? Especially if you look at a worst case scenario like you are. You are always going to have players graduate/look to go pro. Every BE team does. Also, Lavin's not afraid to sign up some JUCO's.

boo3

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2014, 03:18:30 PM »
we are 0-5 in the BE at the moment and people are worried about 2 years from now...1

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2014, 03:33:08 PM »
we are 0-5 in the BE at the moment and people are worried about 2 years from now...1

I hope 2 years from now women develop a third boob like in the original Total Recall movie

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2014, 03:38:54 PM »
How many teams would look a lot better looking 2 years into the future? Especially if you look at a worst case scenario like you are. You are always going to have players graduate/look to go pro. Every BE team does. Also, Lavin's not afraid to sign up some JUCO's.

Scholarship management is the main point there. Possibly 0 recruits in 2014 puts us back in square one in 2015.

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2014, 03:42:39 PM »

This season is close to a lost cause. I look forward to when this team will be good and what can get us there.

boo3

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2014, 03:48:05 PM »
 I'm thinking that we will field a team just fine in 2 years....not something that concerns me personally.   We will have a team next season as well. 

Finishing this season strong is the most important thing for the program at the moment.   All starts tonight with a thumping of Seton Hall.

Can't change the past and future isn't here yet,  if the present is that terrifying,  try a new hobby.

boo3

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2014, 03:58:47 PM »
.....which I am pretty close to doing... The love and passion I once had for STJ basketball is merely a fraction of what it once was..  The downfall started a few years into the Norm years, lead to a dumping of seasons that were in my family since 1980,  to now, where I'm indifferent to even watching some games where any effort is required..

I ,too, thought things would change with Lavin.  While the level of recruit has been better, the on court results haven't been good. 

Curious to see how rest of season and next plays out.  I would be shocked if Lavin isn't here....Shocked.   Makes no sense to me that he would leave, but you never know..

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2014, 03:59:36 PM »

Also, Lavin's not afraid to sign up some JUCO's.

LOL no need to worry if Lavin keeps striking out on the high school recruits like he has been lately because he will just move to the Junior Colleges and show us all his great eye for talent like he has in the past when he went the JC route and got us hyped up stars like Nurideen Lindesey, Marc-Antoine Borgault, God's Gift Achuiwa, and let's not forget about 25 year old Orlando Sanchez.

0 for 4 is a horrible percentage but nobody worry we always have Junior College

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2014, 04:03:17 PM »
Makes no sense to me that he would leave

Obviously.  Would you leave a job you were making millions, surrounded by all your friends making a nice salary who all happen to be yes men, where you were failing miserably and had the risk of never landing a job of this caliber again.  This is an ugly, ugly time for St John's basketball with a very disappointing future on the horizon.