Seton Hall Game - Player of the Game

• 25 replies

desco80

Seton Hall Game - Player of the Game
« on: January 24, 2014, 09:27:34 AM »
Nice to be able to do one of these polls... it's been awhile.
My vote goes to D'angelo.   Sanchez got us going, but after he picked up his 3rd foul he was more or less a non-factor.   

D'angelo missed the foul shots at the end, but he hit some unbelievable mid-range jumpers to keep us in it.
Also, he's a more aggressive rebounder than anybody else on the team.   By a long shot

Moose

Re: Seton Hall Game - Player of the Game
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 09:59:27 AM »
Sanchez.  Hot first half.  Yes he disappeared but saved our asses at the end with a play the vast majority of the team would never have the sense to do.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 10:02:56 AM »
Most pleasant suprise of the game was branch.  Played under control, took it to the tin and played tough denial D.  Lavin showed some confidence in Branch as he was in during crunch (scary) time at end of game.

paultzman

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 10:04:19 AM »
Sanchez.  Hot first half.  Yes he disappeared but saved our asses at the end with a play the vast majority of the team would never have the sense to do.

I found myself thinking, Thank God  Pointer was not on the receiving end of his own pass! Smart play Orlando!

Moose

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 10:13:38 AM »
Most pleasant suprise of the game was branch.  Played under control, took it to the tin and played tough denial D.  Lavin showed some confidence in Branch as he was in during crunch (scary) time at end of game.

Also was nice to see him and Sheed in the game at the same time.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 10:35:04 AM »
Branch.  Best game yet. 

i don't know why, but he ALWAYS tries to finish with his left, ALWAYS.  Missed that wide open layup when he could've gone straight up and drawn the foul .  He also needs to learn that he can always get the foul line jumper.  can't take it with over 20sec left on the clock.  needs to try and run something before he settles for it. 

boo3

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 10:42:31 AM »
 I went with Sampson.. I thought he came up big offensively when team needed it the most. He also energized the team and crowd. 

I also like the way Jordan and Branch played. 

Poison

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 10:51:37 AM »
I'm going to vote for Phil Greene. Playing 14 minutes and recording 4 assists is exactly what we need from him.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 11:34:32 AM »
Jordan is my new  favorite player. Get ready for some Larry Wright type rants when he doesn't play as much as he should. I truly believe if Lavin would have played him more appropriately during early part of the season he would be even further along now.

Foad

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 11:37:29 AM »
Jordan is my new  favorite player. Get ready for some Larry Wright type rants when he doesn't play as much as he should. I truly believe if Lavin would have played him more appropriately during early part of the season he would be even further along now.

Not interested in your nitpicking. Lavin will never be good at playing the right players so why even discuss it. Especially after yesterday's big win. Just move along please.

boo3

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 11:39:18 AM »

Me too...from the beginning I thought this team's success depended on two things, Jordan's development and how long it takes him to be the true leader and PG of this team.. The other was that this team took advantage of their athletic ability and play up and down with a pressing defense. When they did that last night, they went on a good run and looked good doing it..

In a position now where it doesn't matter unless it is backed up with another win on Saturday.

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 12:20:18 PM »

Not interested in your nitpicking. Lavin will never be good at playing the right players so why even discuss it. Especially after yesterday's big win. Just move along please.

Starting from last night's win. Evey bonehead thing he has done previously is still fair game ;)

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 12:27:40 PM »
I give it to Lavin.  He got good contributions from so many players that no one really stands out.  I thought his coaching was masterful in that he got a team that always blows the game in the closing minutes to not blow this one.  Great job, Coach!

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 12:28:00 PM »

Hey I still want to smack Louie for not starting Jackson his Soph year and Norm for his Larry Wright treatment. Playing the wrong guys is a time honored tradition at SJU.
I don't think Lavin did anything egregious yesterday. I read your BEB recap so I know you disagree.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 12:28:57 PM by we are sju »

Foad

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 12:55:57 PM »
I don't think Lavin did anything egregious yesterday. I read your BEB recap so I know you disagree.

The only problem I had with Lavin last night was the TOs. He stopped the clock three times in the last minute with the lead, when SH was itself doing everything to do the same thing: stop the clock. During those TOs - except the last one where he told them to foul - he imparted nothing of value, which you can tell by the result and if not by that because on general principles he's a nitwit. I take no great comfort in Lavin not having done nearly anything to impede his team's chances of success. That's a really low bar. Besides which we won last night because SH is awful. They may be the worst defensive team we've played all year.

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 01:05:47 PM »

The only problem I had with Lavin last night was the TOs. He stopped the clock three times in the last minute with the lead, when SH was itself doing everything to do the same thing: stop the clock. During those TOs - except the last one where he told them to foul - he imparted nothing of value, which you can tell by the result and if not by that because on general principles he's a nitwit. I take no great comfort in Lavin not having done nearly anything to impede his team's chances of success. That's a really low bar. Besides which we won last night because SH is awful. They may be the worst defensive team we've played all year.

His TO distribution and timing is bizarre, I am just grading him on a curve going forward using the Gtown game as the low point. Since I don't think the team will necessarily be better off w/o him, I am just hoping he can get out of his own way going forward.

I thought the stretch from halftime to the 6 minute mark or there abouts was as good as we played, opponent not with standing.

desco80

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 04:02:38 PM »

His TO distribution and timing is bizarre, I am just grading him on a curve going forward using the Gtown game as the low point. Since I don't think the team will necessarily be better off w/o him, I am just hoping he can get out of his own way going forward.

I thought the stretch from halftime to the 6 minute mark or there abouts was as good as we played, opponent not with standing.

You don't think they'd be better off without him?
I truly believe if he stayed home sick the team would win by 10+ against Seton Hall, Providence, Depaul.   

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 04:11:30 PM »

You don't think they'd be better off without him?
I truly believe if he stayed home sick the team would win by 10+ against Seton Hall, Providence, Depaul.   

If you brought in almost any mid major coach they would win 20 with this team and they would be better off next season. The problem is I don't trust that the school could make a good hire(not that Lavin was a bad hire, it was a good hire) and it all goes back to the relevance factor that Lavin brings. The good thing about Lavin's coaching is there is room for improvement. lol.  Lavin can do a better job by simply getting out of his own way and simplifying things.

I think there is a better chance that Lavin can at least do a serviceable job coaching than someone else SJU would be willing and able to hire could come in and get the type of plyers Lavin has brought in and along with the other intangibles Lavin brings.

Now if Lavin's recruiting falls off as some have suggested.......   

boo3

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 04:13:13 PM »
 Keady should take over.. ;)   At least entertain me for the rest of the season.

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 04:19:41 PM »
Keady should take over.. ;)   At least entertain me for the rest of the season.

"Thanks. Hey, I guess they're right. Senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose. I'll be right back. Don't you go dying on me!"-Lloyd Christmas