Joe Maddon

• 18 replies
Joe Maddon
« on: January 24, 2014, 02:15:34 PM »
This team needs a graduate assistant who can give this coaching staff analytics of substitutions.  In all seriousness just look at who he has on the court a specific times.  This is what Joe Maddon does in Tampa and they always wins 90+ games with a motley crue.  This is the future of all sports.

Sports should be run like a successful hedge fund.  The +/- stat is nonsense.   You need take all the numbers available and break them down.  Get a kid before they go to wall street and make a fortune.

Either that or get a coach who has a clue...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 02:16:11 PM by happyrappy »

Re: Joe Maddon
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 02:35:24 PM »
So you're saying we should hire Joe Maddon?

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 02:52:01 PM »
Genius

Poison

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 03:45:29 PM »
It's got very little to do with the manager. Andrew Friedman built that team.

boo3

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 04:07:28 PM »
Joe Maddon is an above average baseball manager for sure.. Doesn't do things by the book, I respect that.  He competes every year.

Moose

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 06:05:34 PM »
Doesn't do things by the book, I respect that. 

Like starting a walk on :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 06:40:33 PM »
Joe madden is a very good baseball coach, but if Sju had a starting five like the rays five man pitching rotation , even lavin could win.

TONYD3

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 07:05:48 PM »
The difference between madon and lavin is simple . If madon puts his shortstop 10 steps one way or 10 steps the other way he does it because he spent time thinking about it . It may be odd but it usually works. He is not sending a message when he plays his 25th man. He plays his 25th man in a situation where he will excel. Maybe he hits left handed pitching, maybe he is a bad infielder but his starting pitcher gives up fly balls.
When lavin plays the bottom of his bench. He is guessing. This team needs a shooter so he plays one of the white guys. We could use Scottie Thurman . Neither of our 0 star shooters are big east players.
MAdon is a baseball genius. lavin should use the keep it simple stupid approach. Play ur best . Play to the teams strengths . We are athletic press. Always have a pg in. Play the 4 star guys. Leave the 0 star guys on the bench.

Poison

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 07:06:15 PM »
What does Joe Maddon do that makes him a good manager? I ask because if he was in Thr Bronx, he'd be fired by now for getting his butt kicked every October

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 08:47:58 PM »
Well I was wondering what this thread was going to be about. Now I know.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 10:17:59 PM »
The difference between madon and lavin is simple . If madon puts his shortstop 10 steps one way or 10 steps the other way he does it because he spent time thinking about it . It may be odd but it usually works. He is not sending a message when he plays his 25th man. He plays his 25th man in a situation where he will excel. Maybe he hits left handed pitching, maybe he is a bad infielder but his starting pitcher gives up fly balls.
When lavin plays the bottom of his bench. He is guessing. This team needs a shooter so he plays one of the white guys. We could use Scottie Thurman . Neither of our 0 star shooters are big east players.
MAdon is a baseball genius. lavin should use the keep it simple stupid approach. Play ur best . Play to the teams strengths . We are athletic press. Always have a pg in. Play the 4 star guys. Leave the 0 star guys on the bench.

Don Cooper is a baseball genius. Maddon puts the shift on guys who can't go the other way. That's not genius. That's an obvious choice.

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 12:21:40 AM »
This team needs a graduate assistant who can give this coaching staff analytics of substitutions.  In all seriousness just look at who he has on the court a specific times.  This is what Joe Maddon does in Tampa and they always wins 90+ games with a motley crue.  This is the future of all sports.

Sports should be run like a successful hedge fund.  The +/- stat is nonsense.   You need take all the numbers available and break them down.  Get a kid before they go to wall street and make a fortune.

Either that or get a coach who has a clue...

I am assuming you are being sarcastic.  What could a freaking graduate assistant tell coach that man that has won six national coach of the year awards can't?

Foad

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 07:14:46 AM »
What could a freaking graduate assistant tell coach that man that has won six national coach of the year awards can't?

He could start with how to beat DePaul and then work his way up.

boo3

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 08:21:33 AM »
What does Joe Maddon do that makes him a good manager? I ask because if he was in Thr Bronx, he'd be fired by now for getting his butt kicked every October

Wow.. I disagree.  Imagine Maddon had the talent that Girardi has?  He has a team that is low budget yet he manages to keep his team competing year in and year out.   Switch him and Girardi and the yankees win a lot more and Girardi would be somewhere else by now, probably TV...  IMO
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 08:21:52 AM by boo3 »

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 08:47:21 AM »
I agree with boo................the Rays have one professional hitter in their lineup, Longoria, and they win 90+ games most years.

Foad

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 08:55:32 AM »

Wow.. I disagree.  Imagine Maddon had the talent that Girardi has?  He has a team that is low budget yet he manages to keep his team competing year in and year out.   Switch him and Girardi and the yankees win a lot more and Girardi would be somewhere else by now, probably TV...  IMO

It's not Girardi's fault the Yankees miss their free throws. That's on the players.

boo3

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 08:57:22 AM »

It's not Girardi's fault the Yankees miss their free throws. That's on the players.

You're better than that.....Try and keep up, you are slipping.

..and on no planet is missing Fts ever the coaches fault.. Is this the type of insight I'm missing on BEB...   Was impressed someone mentioned they read it though, congrats...Always nice to know someone is paying attention.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 08:59:49 AM by boo3 »

Poison

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 09:10:54 AM »

I think in all of the sports that we follow the baseball manager has the least to do with the team's success. I think their leadership is more about the culture they create than their judgement during the games. The bullpen is there the manager gets to shine or show that they are lost. Like that nice person Jim Leyland.

Is Joe Torre really a great manager for bringing Mo in to pitch the 8th and the 9th during the 99 and 00 playoffs? He did it bec he could do it. Joe Maddon has the best rotation in the league. That is why his team's compete. Outside of Price, he can thank Andrew Friedman for drafting top talent in later rounds, and for knowing when it was time to trade a star talent like Matt Garza. He brought back a return of Archer, and Fuld, who helped them.

Watch them deal Price for a nice return before the season starts.

And in regards to them having one pro hitter, that was the Yankees last year. This season, the Rays will have Will Myers batting behind Longoria. He might be better than Longoria. We'll see.
And for all the money the Yankees spent, the staff still isn't better than Tampa's. Maddon has NOTHING to do with that, unless he pulls a Dusty Baker and takes them out too soon or burns them out.

Foad

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 10:34:58 AM »

You're better than that.....Try and keep up, you are slipping.

..and on no planet is missing Fts ever the coaches fault.. Is this the type of insight I'm missing on BEB...   Was impressed someone mentioned they read it though, congrats...Always nice to know someone is paying attention.

Golly that stung.