Ohio St lost to Penn St...guess they're going to fire Thad Motta

boo3

Re: Contract Extension
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2014, 11:46:57 AM »
Ohio St lost to Penn St...guess they're going to fire Thad Motta

I'll take Thad... Can we trade?

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2014, 11:49:49 AM »
All I said was we have played well enough to be better than 2-6. While coaching is a part of our record, it's not the only reason our record is poor.

DFF6

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2014, 12:03:40 PM »
All I said was we have played well enough to be better than 2-6. While coaching is a part of our record, it's not the only reason our record is poor.

Totally agree.  Lavin is not missing FTs or traveling with the ball at the end of a tight game (come on JaKarr!), but you must admit that a team that consistently does the same stuff wrong with the amount of playing time this group has under its collective belt points to a problem of either poor coaching, or kids (recruited by Lavin) that can't be coached. 

TONYD3

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2014, 12:12:32 PM »
Gift , obekpa , branch , max, pointer all playing at the same time. How do u  that and expect to win? If he didn't do dumb shit like this people wouldn't question if he could coach

boo3

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2014, 12:20:39 PM »
 Bottom line is that you can point out things during the course of every game to criticize any coach..

The reality of the situation is that it is the coaches fault, the players fault, and some of that typical STJ crappy luck.. All three played a role this season.. To say it is all one one or the other is simple-minded...to be quite honest. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 12:21:05 PM by boo3 »

desco80

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2014, 12:23:09 PM »
Bottom line is that you can point out things during the course of every game to criticize any coach..

The reality of the situation is that it is the coaches fault, the players fault, and some of that typical STJ crappy luck.. All three played a role this season.. To say it is all one one or the other is simple-minded...to be quite honest. 

+100
Spot on Boo.   Throw in the officials as well.   Losses come down to a number of factors, never just one thing.   So do wins, for that matter.

uwsfan

« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2014, 07:08:45 PM »
He put the players in a position to win.  That's what coaches do.  That's what managers do.  He keeps on improving.  It's not about immediate gratification.  He's building a step at a time.  Some people gave their investment advisors money January 1st and now they hate them.

You are fighting a straw man.   No one said he needed to produce immediately; this is year 4.   
I can understand the rationale of the posters who don't like the "fire Lavin" threads, and who want to hold off making a judgment until after this season.  I don't agree, but I respect those that feel that way. 

But now you want to extend the coach's contract after a close lose to Creighton.  WTF is going on?
We're still 2-6.  This was a season where everyone from players to coaches to the media and fans all thought that making the tournament should be a BASELINE for achievement.    And we are nowhere even close to that most basic of goals.   Why would you start talking about an extension for the coach now? 

Because hes Lavins agent

uwsfan

« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2014, 07:18:50 PM »

Wrong. Coaching is the ONLY reason this team is not good. A better coach with this group makes the tourney

« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2014, 07:32:24 PM »

Wrong. Coaching is the ONLY reason this team is not good. A better coach with this group makes the tourney

I'm not sure about that. We'd have many of the same problems.

goredmen

« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2014, 07:50:46 PM »

I'm not sure about that. We'd have many of the same problems.

Maybe we'd have some problems. But we wouldnt have the problem of putting Hooper in a defensive and ballhandling situation in OT (Lavin single handedly cost us that game by doing that, theres no way around that). We wouldnt have had the problem of starting Felix and a walk on at Gtown and our offense wouldnt be as stagnant and 1 on 1 as it is now

« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2014, 08:05:54 PM »
Gift , obekpa , branch , max, pointer all playing at the same time

This is the one that got me.  Not in my wildest dreams could I put this lineup together and I am pretty sure it was in the 2nd half which is absurd (I am not 100% sure and I only post facts)

Where in the world is the scoring coming from?

All you have to do is double Hopper at the line and you can send the other 3 guys to the bench to get a quick drink and St John's would've still had not shot at scoring.  Branch threw in that prayer that went off the backboard, Gift has stone hands, Obekpa has such a limited offensive game, Pointer can do one thing and that is score on the fast break, and then Hopper is almost as one dimensional as Obekpa.

Lavin has put out the worst rotations ever as there is zero chemistry still on this team.  The best lineup never plays together and then he just mish moshes the rest of the players together praying something will work but some of the combos he puts out has 0% chance like that Gift, Obekpa, Pointer, Branch, and Hopper.

Jordan has got game but needs a good coach to teach him basketball.  He should of gone to SMU.  Sampson seems like a real nice kid who has some freakish athletic ability but he needs to do more and be pushed more.  Harrison lost his fire which Lavin ripped right out of him and now he will always be a nice player but never that fearless player he was as a freshman. Sanchez does nothing to make the team better.  He is totally soft for his size and age. 

He needs to go and we need to get a real coach in here

TONYD3

« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2014, 08:34:11 PM »
Only reason to give Lavin or anyone an extenttion is if they are doing a good job. Does anyone think he is doing a good job? Season is not over but it almost is. 2-6 in big east. Tough game Saturday .

Poison

« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2014, 08:37:55 PM »

If you lose most of the close games you play, it's because your team doesn't know what they're doing.

hnk

« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2014, 12:09:53 PM »
Two year extension or three?

hnk

« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2014, 09:50:54 PM »
Three.  At least.

Moose

« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2014, 10:11:50 PM »
Why put a number on it?
Give him a lifetime extension.
Coach K esque
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2014, 10:14:56 PM »
Just found out Hnk is Keady & Lavin's SoHo limo driver. Loyal guy!

Dan

« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2014, 10:25:38 PM »
they've done better but the coaching still leaves a lot to be desired

TONYD3

« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2014, 10:35:11 PM »
they've done better but the coaching still leaves a lot to be desired
Think team was prepared . Don't think the staff did anything wrong. I would have played branch more. Also didn't like both obekpa and pointer in down the stretch. But we won and coach deserves credit.
If we play tough man, always play with a pg, have a best players play most of the minutes, and our least talented players rarely play we can have a good season