Contract Extension

• 220 replies

hnk

Contract Extension
« on: January 29, 2014, 07:25:41 AM »
I am for giving Coach Lavin and his team a contract extension.   

That's right a contract extension.   He is creating a program in a turnaround situation.   The team is making progress.   He doesn't shoot the ball...take the threes.....or ref the games.  And he's not perfect.  The team is getting better and better.   The program is getting better and better.  There are and will be ups and downs.

Have at it fellas.

We've now lost about five Big East games by what less than 60 seconds and less than five buckets.   His team has put our team in a position to win....that's what a coach is supposed to do.  The games are even getting fun to watch.....and....and.....just wait till the Big East tournament and just wait til next year.  I'd give him two extra years right now and then extend the contract when we win the Big East Tournament.   NCAA's here we come (this year or next year.)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 07:27:07 AM by hnk »

Re: Contract Extension
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 08:13:29 AM »
We have the same team as last year plus 2 starters and a key reserve and we are getting worse results. Its certainly not progress. Im not even sure if this is a serious post.

Moose

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 08:14:17 AM »
We have the same team as last year plus 2 starters and a key reserve and we are getting worse results. Its certainly not progress. Im not even sure if this is a serious post.

I think he posted after having some Wisky :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

TONYD3

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 09:00:55 AM »
We lost. Think the team played well. Think they were prepared. I am not back on the Lavin train, but I am willing to give him some more time before I want him fired. After g-town I thought he lost the team. Not ready to give an extension . But I see the team getting better

hnk

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 09:23:48 AM »
guys here probably want to blame him for the bobblehead not looking more like Chris

desco80

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 09:44:19 AM »
I am for giving Coach Lavin and his team a contract extension.   

That's right a contract extension.   He is creating a program in a turnaround situation.   The team is making progress.   He doesn't shoot the ball...take the threes.....or ref the games.  And he's not perfect.  The team is getting better and better.   The program is getting better and better.  There are and will be ups and downs.

Have at it fellas.

We've now lost about five Big East games by what less than 60 seconds and less than five buckets.   His team has put our team in a position to win....that's what a coach is supposed to do.  The games are even getting fun to watch.....and....and.....just wait till the Big East tournament and just wait til next year.  I'd give him two extra years right now and then extend the contract when we win the Big East Tournament.   NCAA's here we come (this year or next year.)

Your explanation defies logic.   A person get a contract extension for what they do.   All your telling me is what isn't his fault.
And you're right, he doesn't shoot, rebound, or control the refs.   But what has he done to deserve an extension?

That's not to say he wont deserve one at this time next year.  I hope we're in that kind of position.
But so far the results aren't there.   

hnk

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 09:57:50 AM »
He put the players in a position to win.  That's what coaches do.  That's what managers do.  He keeps on improving.  It's not about immediate gratification.  He's building a step at a time.  Some people gave their investment advisors money January 1st and now they hate them.

desco80

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 10:05:59 AM »
He put the players in a position to win.  That's what coaches do.  That's what managers do.  He keeps on improving.  It's not about immediate gratification.  He's building a step at a time.  Some people gave their investment advisors money January 1st and now they hate them.

You are fighting a straw man.   No one said he needed to produce immediately; this is year 4.   
I can understand the rationale of the posters who don't like the "fire Lavin" threads, and who want to hold off making a judgment until after this season.  I don't agree, but I respect those that feel that way. 

But now you want to extend the coach's contract after a close lose to Creighton.  WTF is going on?
We're still 2-6.  This was a season where everyone from players to coaches to the media and fans all thought that making the tournament should be a BASELINE for achievement.    And we are nowhere even close to that most basic of goals.   Why would you start talking about an extension for the coach now? 

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
Steve Lavin is on the verge of me wanting him fired and you want to give him an extension? What kind of nonsense is this?

When will this mediocre product be turned around? Wasn't that the reason Lavin was brought in?

How many more excuses can be tolerated? It's a sham and it's ridiculous to have so much "talent and athleticism" and be so horrendous. No gameplan, no offensive identity. It's just a horrible lost season. And Lavin is the first one to blame.

paultzman

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 10:15:38 AM »
Could Hnk really be Rob Ford, Mayor of Toronto? Put the pipe down & wait until end of season for contract extension please. "Hammer to rock" is slogan of Rob too by the way?

TONYD3

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 10:28:41 AM »
Has the team improved ? YES! They are now just losing not getting embrasssed.

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 10:49:29 AM »
We dug too much of a hole to have moral victories. We did some things we need to do to win this game. We knew McDermott was going get his pt s and we held his teammates in check. I thought if we held under them 70 we would win.  You cannot fall behind double digits and then have to fight back it is a losing recipe.  I figure we will end up winning 18 games this year.

DFF6

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 11:18:21 AM »
IMO, not only should SJU not give Lavin a contract extension, but I pray that SJU moves decisively at season's end and parts ways with Lavin asap so we can find a replacement HC that might be able to salvage this mess of a team next year, although I know that is expecting a lot, especially with Jordan.  This year's team was the team on which we could all judge Lavin's cumulative efforts in Jamaica NY. There's a Latin term that Fun has used on these boards before, res ipsa loquitur, which roughly translates into the thing speaks for itself.  This team's performance is res ipsa loquitur for Lavin's departure.

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 11:57:35 AM »
Lavin has been out coached in every game this year.  This team is always down huge and part of that has to be the coaches fault.  What the heck was up with some of those rotations last night?

Branch has gotten much better (he was horrible last year) but he still continues to get exposed anytime they play a real team.

Jordan is a nice player with a decent upside but in all honesty I have watched 50 more polished freshmen than him.  He plays so out of control but I guess that means he fits in like a glove on this team.

Orlando Sanchez is another one whose minutes should be cut way down he does absolutely nothing to make the team better.

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 12:06:11 PM »
hey hnk,

If someone told you St John's would be 3-9 against major conference teams and these were the deficits in each of those games before the season started you would think the person was smoking something stronger than you. 

Wisconsin-      18
Penn State-     15
Georgia Tech- 15
Syracuse-        14
Xavier-             11
Georgetown- 33
Villanova-        9
DePaul-            7
Providence-    12
Seton Hall-     10
Butler-             10
Creighton-      18

LOL so that would keep him around for another 4 years after this one.  This year has been a total failure and you want to reward him.  This team has one year left and this was supposed to be the year with everyone eligible and all the so called depth.  Keep dreaming

goredmen

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 02:12:56 PM »
If we play down to the wire but lose in all the games against good teams is that a sign of good coaching? At what point do moral victories not count anymore?

PIB

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 04:06:40 PM »
We have a very good chance of finishing the year under .500, and the OP is talking about an extension.

Ask the Miami Hurricanes football fans how they feel about Al Golden's extension. They are livid.

In many ways, Lavin reminds me of Golden, a great shit talker. But, when it comes time to produce, his teams get embarrassed or lose.

boo3

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 04:34:36 PM »
I think hnk is trolling you guys....

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 04:47:35 PM »
I think he should get an extension because he isn't going anywhere anyway and this way it would quiet all the nonsense about him getting fired.

desco80

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 05:14:15 PM »
I think he should get an extension because he isn't going anywhere anyway and this way it would quiet all the nonsense about him getting fired.

Let me get this straight..
Because the administration presumably won't fire him, you think we should therefore extend his contract? 

Simply, you are a great poster but you are venturing off the reservation.   When you said Lavin deserved another year or so to prove himself because it was too soon to evaluate the type of job he's done...  that seemed like a reasonable conclusion.    I didn't agree with your reasons: he had to start over from scratch, lost year from cancer, etc.   But nevertheless it was a well-reasoned opinion.   
Now I think you're being pushed to the extreme because of some of the stuff needs2go and his ilk say. 

Are you saying because there's no president in place willing to fire Lavin, you think we should therefore extend his contract?    What sense does that make?
When would he ever be evaluated or judged on his merits if we keep extending his contract?    Let's say hypothetically the team doesn't perform well next year and even you believe coach has let the program down and a change needs to be made.   How could we make a change then if we had just extended his contract?   Is SJU going to eat multiple years of his contract?  Of course not.