Contract Extension

• 220 replies
Re: Contract Extension
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2014, 11:38:55 PM »
He put the players in a position to win.  That's what coaches do.  That's what managers do.  He keeps on improving.  It's not about immediate gratification.  He's building a step at a time.  Some people gave their investment advisors money January 1st and now they hate them.

Gift, Sanchez and Marco AKA, the best shooter Lavin has ever coached are graduating in May. Harrison, Pointer, Greene and Branch will graduate next season. Are we really going to give Lavin more time to win with his guys than we gave Norm?

I would fire him, and move on. You want to stand on your head and enforce rules over your program that kill momentum, and ruin seasons? Fine. But the next season you had better fix everything. We went along for the ride. Gave him the benefit of the doubt. Time is up.

As much as many here don't want to hear it, we are better than 2-6. I personally think we have played well enough to be 4-4, maybe even better but bad luck/poor officiating, and lack of execution have cost us more than a few close games.

Lavin deserves another season at least.

Bad luck and poor officiating have not cost us anything. It's no fluke that opposing teams consistently get to the line more than us. And we are a better team than 2-6 on paper, but unfortunately we have played bad enough to be 2-6 which is exactly why I think Lavin should be canned.

Simply not true. Poor officiating definitely cost us last night. Dlo (80% FT shooter) hits a free throw and there's another win. Most of our loses were close.

Excuses and the acceptance of mediocrity will never lead to anything more than mediocrity

It's not always as black and white as you're trying to make it sound.

goredmen

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2014, 11:47:56 PM »
He put the players in a position to win.  That's what coaches do.  That's what managers do.  He keeps on improving.  It's not about immediate gratification.  He's building a step at a time.  Some people gave their investment advisors money January 1st and now they hate them.

Gift, Sanchez and Marco AKA, the best shooter Lavin has ever coached are graduating in May. Harrison, Pointer, Greene and Branch will graduate next season. Are we really going to give Lavin more time to win with his guys than we gave Norm?

I would fire him, and move on. You want to stand on your head and enforce rules over your program that kill momentum, and ruin seasons? Fine. But the next season you had better fix everything. We went along for the ride. Gave him the benefit of the doubt. Time is up.

As much as many here don't want to hear it, we are better than 2-6. I personally think we have played well enough to be 4-4, maybe even better but bad luck/poor officiating, and lack of execution have cost us more than a few close games.

Bad luck and poor officiating have not cost us anything. It's no fluke that opposing teams consistently get to the line more than us. And we are a better team than 2-6 on paper, but unfortunately we have played bad enough to be 2-6 which is exactly why I think Lavin should be canned.

Simply not true. Poor officiating definitely cost us last night. Dlo (80% FT shooter) hits a free throw and there's another win. Most of our loses were close.

Excuses and the acceptance of mediocrity will never lead to anything more than mediocrity

Well you are claiming that we have lost games due to bad luck and poor officiating. That's called making excuses.

There's no doubt that this season has been a major disappointment as its not even February and we pretty much have no shot at an at large bid. By giving Lavin an extension you wouldn't only be accepting the mediocrity that is this season you would be rewarding it

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2014, 12:04:55 AM »

Well you are claiming that we have lost games due to bad luck and poor officiating. That's called making excuses.

There's no doubt that this season has been a major disappointment as its not even February and we pretty much have no shot at an at large bid. By giving Lavin an extension you wouldn't only be accepting the mediocrity that is this season you would be rewarding it

You can call them excuses but they are also true.

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2014, 12:20:45 AM »

Then it's also true that we should've lost to Seton Hall. If we're saying we should have beat a weak Penn State team when an 80% FT shooter missed an insanely pressure-packed free throw before the team proceeded to get spanked in overtime then you need to reevaluate your measures of a team's success. In that game the difference was their superior player hit his clutch free throws in the last minute and ours didn't.  We didn't deserve to win that game either, Penn State was clearly the better team in that one.

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2014, 12:38:33 AM »

Then it's also true that we should've lost to Seton Hall. If we're saying we should have beat a weak Penn State team when an 80% FT shooter missed an insanely pressure-packed free throw before the team proceeded to get spanked in overtime then you need to reevaluate your measures of a team's success. In that game the difference was their superior player hit his clutch free throws in the last minute and ours didn't.  We didn't deserve to win that game either, Penn State was clearly the better team in that one.

We played well enough to win the Penn St. game. Your post makes it sound like we obviously deserved to lose. It came down to chance. A ball rattling around a cylinder that goes in 80% of the time. That's all I'm saying. If it went in, would you be saying "we were clearly the better team in that one"?Seton Hall we led throughout and it would've been a horrible loss had we not won it. The score was closer than the game was.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 12:40:22 AM by redstorm212 »

« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2014, 12:44:04 AM »

We played well enough to win the Penn St. game. Your post makes it sound like we obviously deserved to lose. It came down to chance. A ball rattling around a cylinder that goes in 80% of the time. That's all I'm saying. If it went in, would you be saying "we were clearly the better team in that one"?Seton Hall we led throughout and it would've been a horrible loss had we not won it. The score was closer than the game was.

That line describes the majority of the "close" losses we have had, including the Penn State and Creighton games.

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2014, 12:47:55 AM »

That line describes the majority of the "close" losses we have had, including the Penn State and Creighton games.

So it describes the Penn St. loss?

goredmen

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2014, 12:48:27 AM »

The thing you said about the Seton Hall game could be said about the Penn State and Creighton games. Both of those games we were losing and losing big for the majority of the game and it would have been a horrible loss for those teams had we won. If the Seton Hall final score was closer than the game was then so was the Creighton final score

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2014, 12:55:41 AM »
Wisconsin: We never led and their biggest lead was 18
Penn State: We took the lead twice the entire game, never by more than 2 points and never for more than 30 seconds. Their biggest lead was 15.
Cuse: We took one 2 point lead for 30 seconds, they led the rest of the game. Their biggest lead was 13.
Xavier: We led by 2 at the half, after the half they led the whole way and at one point were up by 11.
Georgetown: They led wire to wire and were up by nearly 30 at one point.
Villanova: A legit close game in which we gave a valiant effort but lost. Was not a fluke loss though, as they maintained total control for the last 8 minutes.
DePaul and Providence: Close games against mediocre teams who we should've handled with ease.
Creighton: They led wire to wire and by as much as 18 at one point.

Our losses haven't been very close at all to be honest. Each team has handled us pretty good with the exception of Providence and DePaul. But if we are at the point of being happy about playing those two teams tough then that should be enough proof that Lavin has done a brutal job.

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2014, 01:23:52 AM »
Wisconsin: We never led and their biggest lead was 18
Penn State: We took the lead twice the entire game, never by more than 2 points and never for more than 30 seconds. Their biggest lead was 15.
Cuse: We took one 2 point lead for 30 seconds, they led the rest of the game. Their biggest lead was 13.
Xavier: We led by 2 at the half, after the half they led the whole way and at one point were up by 11.
Georgetown: They led wire to wire and were up by nearly 30 at one point.
Villanova: A legit close game in which we gave a valiant effort but lost. Was not a fluke loss though, as they maintained total control for the last 8 minutes.
DePaul and Providence: Close games against mediocre teams who we should've handled with ease.
Creighton: They led wire to wire and by as much as 18 at one point.

Our losses haven't been very close at all to be honest. Each team has handled us pretty good with the exception of Providence and DePaul. But if we are at the point of being happy about playing those two teams tough then that should be enough proof that Lavin has done a brutal job.

Just because we were down by a lot at one point in the game, does not mean the game wasn't close.

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2014, 01:34:37 AM »

The thing you said about the Seton Hall game could be said about the Penn State and Creighton games. Both of those games we were losing and losing big for the majority of the game and it would have been a horrible loss for those teams had we won. If the Seton Hall final score was closer than the game was then so was the Creighton final score

Are you kidding? We were a horrible call away from winning last night. It cost us the game even if you can't admit it. Sometimes basketball comes down to chance or officiating. It's not always on the coach.

Poison

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2014, 01:41:38 AM »

Are you kidding? We were a horrible call away from winning last night. It cost us the game even if you can't admit it. Sometimes basketball comes down to chance or officiating. It's not always on the coach.

Seriously? We're blaming the officiating now? Come on! Lavin isn't a bad coach because of last night's loss. It's the body of work that us downright pathetic. I don't care why. There could be injuries, ineligible players, defections.

I don't care how he wins, I just care that he wins. And this season has been a disaster of epic proportions. At least with Norm we expected to be pathetic. Lavin has a pedigree. Or he did.

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2014, 01:45:30 AM »
You want to stand on your head and enforce rules over your program that kill momentum, and ruin seasons? Fine. But the next season you had better fix everything. 

I hear ya.  I'll go to my grave believing we dance if 3'lo isn't suspended and Double G doesn't redshirt.

Foad

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2014, 02:58:52 AM »
Most of our loses were close.

The school should get this embroidered on a giant handkerchief and hang it in Carnesecca next to all the NIT banners.

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2014, 04:03:18 AM »
Most of our loses were close.

The school should get this embroidered on a giant handkerchief and hang it in Carnesecca next to all the NIT banners.

Well we gotta have something to brag about.

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2014, 07:05:24 AM »

The difference between 4-4 and 2-6 was Max Hooper playing at all the wrong times. He is a terrible player. Lavin puts him in for defense. Then, he puts him in to handle the ball against Providence and he freezes likes it's the first he's been in that situation. Why? Because it WAS the first time.

Lavin is a salesmen. All sizzle no steak. The team might be improving. But why the heck is it taking our upperclassmen so long to get it together? Perhaps because they have not learned what they've been taught? That, is on the teacher.

I've had enough of him. We fire him in March, the seniors will stay and if we hire a coach who has a healthy of combo of personality and coaching ability, the younger guys will consider staying.

All I'm saying is its clear he's not going anywhere. So why not support him?

I'd love to bring in an X's and O's coach too, but the school is committed to Lavin.

TONYD3

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2014, 10:05:24 AM »
The buck has to stop somewhere . He is the head coach . He makes all the money . He is getting paid to win games. It doesn't matter how we lose. It's always his fault .

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2014, 10:33:01 AM »
redstorm212, since we get screwed by officiating and have horrible luck in most of our losses could you please just tell me or remind me of one good win this team has had in the last 2 years?

Please because you are filled with hot air and excuses.  This team is having as disappointing of a season as any in America and the future is bleak.  No recruits on hand and no Dunlaps on the horizon. 

The guy needs to go

« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2014, 10:45:33 AM »

The guy needs to go

Oh, now I get your name.  Duh!  All this time, I thought you just had a prostate issue.   ???

« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2014, 11:00:59 AM »
Lifetime contract. Only way to get recruits....

Harrison = J.R. Smith.