@Seton Hall Game Thread

• 343 replies

Marillac

Re: @Seton Hall Game Thread
« Reply #240 on: February 14, 2014, 12:59:16 AM »
Highlights: St. John's vs. Seton Hall

Ladies and Gentleman, Dom Pointer:

20 second mark, Rasheed with the drive and dunk.  Where is Dom?  Two feet behind the three point line opposite camera.  What does he do when he Rasheed drives...does he cut to the basket?  Follow for an offensive rebound? No.  He inexplicably jumps in place like he always does .

40 second mark...Rasheed with the incredible pass to split the double-team.  Wait, why was there a double-team in a 2-3 zone?  Because Dom Pointer was set up two feet behind the arch (near side) with his hands out for a pass.  SH decided they wouldn't cover him or even pay attention to him.  Ball goes in to CO, does Dom follow?  There are like 5 seconds on the clock and the game is tied...surely he follows CO's shot? No.  He jumps in place again. 

If we are in the same situation again with a t.o. to spare, Dom must be substituted out for Hooper...even if Hooper is  just a decoy. 

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 01:02:07 AM by Marillac »

« Reply #241 on: February 14, 2014, 01:02:03 AM »
Agree - him and Sanchez don't crash the boards nearly enough. Dom should be doing that every play with his athleticism and length.

« Reply #242 on: February 14, 2014, 01:03:31 AM »
I wish Dom would shoot the three occasionally. He's not THAT bad of a shooter to the point where he can't shoot a wide open 3.

SJUFAN

« Reply #243 on: February 14, 2014, 01:07:06 AM »
Can we get a former big man on the staff to teach Obekpa. 
Ruland can stop scouting for Wiz?
Werdann?
Someone?

I think the staff is doing a good job with his development. He had zero offensive game last year. Started out poorly this year but now is working in a hook shot. Development doesn't happen over night.

SJUFAN

« Reply #244 on: February 14, 2014, 01:11:32 AM »
Agree - him and Sanchez don't crash the boards nearly enough. Dom should be doing that every play with his athleticism and length.

That is the most frustrating thing about Dom, imo. The amount of attention teams pay him he should average 2-3 offensive boards a game.

« Reply #245 on: February 14, 2014, 01:11:59 AM »
I wish Dom would shoot the three occasionally. He's not THAT bad of a shooter to the point where he can't shoot a wide open 3.

I don't. I think one of Dom's best assets is that he plays to his strength 15 ft and in.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #246 on: February 14, 2014, 01:14:29 AM »
The story of Phil Greene tonight. He had 4 three point attempts and the two he made were set catch and shoot shots. The other 2 were off the bounce and were misses.

Marillac

« Reply #247 on: February 14, 2014, 01:24:58 AM »

That is the most frustrating thing about Dom, imo. The amount of attention teams pay him he should average 2-3 offensive boards a game.

Are you insane?  He is shooting ELEVEN PERCENT  from three this year and he hasn't taken a single jumper without AT LEAST 5-7 feet of space. Team stopped defending him weeks ago.   Let me put it another way for you, a wide-open three point shot by Sir I'll never leave the three point line has an 89% chance of failure.  To make matters worse, he won't even follow the shot so you can forget about an offensive rebound. 

It's a good thing we have such a great safety valve directing our offense from the three point line every possession. 

« Reply #248 on: February 14, 2014, 01:26:49 AM »
Obekpa's hands are getting better.   He caught that lob, and he caught the shaky pass in the lane before from Dom . 
That's really promising.

I'd still like to see branch with Rysheed and Dlo on the floor together.   Give Dom a rest. 

Id love it to desco. It would be huge, but he is not playing. Root canal

Watching this game was like getting root canal.  Thank god Lavin found an end game.

Marillac

« Reply #249 on: February 14, 2014, 01:30:42 AM »
The story of Phil Greene tonight. He had 4 three point attempts and the two he made were set catch and shoot shots. The other 2 were off the bounce and were misses.

Only one miss was off the bounce.  The other he hesitated and brought the ball down.  He's gotta take that in rhythm...I was pissed he didn't.  I hope the staff goes over the film with him on that one.  Feet set in rhythm and he's money...hesitation or dribble and his % probably gets cut in half. 

« Reply #250 on: February 14, 2014, 01:31:45 AM »

I don't. I think one of Dom's best assets is that he plays to his strength 15 ft and in.

So you're happy when he pumpfakes a wide open three only to dribble into a defender and take a contested 2?

Marillac

« Reply #251 on: February 14, 2014, 01:33:26 AM »

Sanchez is another one I can't stand.  He's softer than dog sh*t.   He made SH's back up big men look like McDonald's All-Americans n the first half.  Give me a less skilled GG all day...that kid just competes.  It's an entirely different look when a shot goes up from us and GG is in the game compared to when Sanchez or Dom are in the game--God forbid they are both in at the same time. 

Marillac

« Reply #253 on: February 14, 2014, 01:34:42 AM »

So you're happy when he pumpfakes a wide open three only to dribble into a defender and take a contested 2?

I'm happy when he's on the bench next to Sanchez and Branch is in the game.
Seriously, what part of shooting 11% from three this year do you not understand?  Dom is a terrible offensive option for anything. 

Poison

« Reply #254 on: February 14, 2014, 01:48:00 AM »
Dom is really getting killed for a guy who wasn't so bad tonight. Hit a clutch jumper late, and nailed two free throws to bring us to within 2 at the end of the game. I don't like the idea of him shooting three pointers as a play we go to often, but last year, he started to hit that corner 3 pointer. It can be a good idea, if they give him a wide open 3, but what I like that he's doing more of is taking that 10 foot jumper. That, has actually been falling.

As far as rebounding goes, I don't think any of our bigs are good rebounders. I still have no idea why they don't care enough to be better at it. Makes zero sense. Just play harder.

« Reply #255 on: February 14, 2014, 01:51:30 AM »

He shoots 11% from 3 so any time he doesn't shoot it from 3 I'm happy. He does however make 50% of his 2 point attempts and he's 2nd on the team in assists.

« Reply #256 on: February 14, 2014, 01:53:19 AM »
I don't understand how a guy with that athleticism does not get more offensive reb

« Reply #257 on: February 14, 2014, 01:54:20 AM »
Rebounds. And why we don't send more people to the glass.

« Reply #258 on: February 14, 2014, 01:54:43 AM »

I'm happy when he's on the bench next to Sanchez and Branch is in the game.
Seriously, what part of shooting 11% from three this year do you not understand?  Dom is a terrible offensive option for anything. 

I don't get the hate for Sanchez from so many. Dude brought high energy play and good production in limited minutes. Won't crush him for TO's because the whole team was just as bad if not worse.

Not many guys in the conference could have that dunk in the first half or that layup in the 2nd half that he had tonight. He essentially replaced Amir Garrett in the rotation and he's been much better.

« Reply #259 on: February 14, 2014, 01:57:29 AM »
Like Dom. Thinks he brings a lot of good things to the table. Thought he was one of the guys who helped us win tonight. The rebounding thin I just don't get.